Transmission Shift Problem
JedRhule
Posted 2023-01-11 8:13 PM (#626877)
Subject: Transmission Shift Problem

Veteran

Reading the thread about the AT 205 Stop Leak reminded me of a problem I had when I got my 1956 CRL with the 315 Poly and Powerflite. The car had been in a private collection for many years and had driven only 600 miles in the previous 4 years. The transmission leaked everywhere and the front universal boot was torn open. I located an old-school rebuilder who replaced the boot and fixed all the leaks with the aid of Dave's handy-dandy transmission reseal tips. A few days later it developed a bad clanking noise from the driveshaft at low speeds. The shop said I needed to rebuild the front universal joint. I began a search for the needed parts.
I had to drive 25 miles to visit a custom car shop about installing a Vintage Air System. By the time I got there, the drive shaft was banging so bad, when I slowed to a stop, that I thought it would break. It was a little better when I started home, so began testing various scenarios. I tried putting it in neutral when stopping..No better. I tried shutting the engine off when stopping.. No better. The only thing that helped was downshifting to LOW. I figured that it was hanging in HIGH gear (sticking governor or shift valve). I pulled into an auto parts store and bought a bottle of Lucas on the advice of the counter man, and poured it in right there in their lot. I had 15 miles to go home and the transmission got better at each stop light. It is still working perfectly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page