The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

52 desoto brakes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

rockabilly
Posted 2008-03-24 12:54 AM (#121980)
Subject: 52 desoto brakes

ive got a 52 custom and put all new brakes and components. i turned all drums. i got one drum to fit and the others wont fit. im pretty sure i need to grind shoes but how? i didnt plan on a complete brake shop for one car. is there
easy way to doing like my belt sander or something? the car only has 54k and im pretty sure its the first brake job because everything was so sanitary minus the delaminated shoes. my drums turned to 12.015 so i think they are still in limits. o got my shoes and springs from roberts in mass. and my wheel cylinders from napa. thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mike M
Posted 2008-03-24 10:45 AM (#122019 - in reply to #121980)
Subject: Re: 52 desoto brakes

Extreme Veteran

The purpose of grinding the shoes is to get contact all along the shoe with the drum.
If you cannot get the drum on, either the adjuster needs to be backed of on, or you need to open the brake bleeder and push the shoes in.
Even if your shoes aren't a perfect fit, meaning that they only make contact for a portion of the surface, you should still be able to put the drums back on.
To check the fit of your shoes, you have to take them off and lay each in the drum to make sure they are the right size. They should fit up against the drum surface.
Shep
Posted 2008-03-24 7:36 PM (#122109 - in reply to #121980)

Expert

Agreed, had this issue with one drum on myy 55 NY'er, that lining ( Kanter) was a little thicker than the other shoe, took some judicious massaging!
rockabilly
Posted 2008-03-25 10:25 PM (#122320 - in reply to #122109)

got em on, minimal "massaging" with 120 grit wood sandpaper by hand. got full diameter contact. this is why service stations earned their money back in the day. this is still much more fun than workin on todays cars. thanks for the help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)