The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Restore to what degree?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Stroller
Posted 2018-10-19 2:19 PM (#571983)
Subject: Restore to what degree?

Extreme Veteran

Here is my question. To what extant would you or have you done to restore a car too? I mean something money can't touch, museum piece trailer queen that gets dusted 10 times a day? Or something you can take out and drive in city traffic, on the interstate or where ever just as they were when they were born? I mean anytime you have a car repainted you never want bird gunk on it or road grime build up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2018-10-19 2:28 PM (#571984 - in reply to #571983)
Subject: Re: Restore to what degree?

Expert

Personally, I don't restore.
I build, fix up, improve and enjoy.
The most enjoyment comes from building the car though for me.

I do however try to keep everything mostly Mopar in my older cars, but I use 60s Mopar-parts mostly to 'keep it all in the family'.

GaryS
Posted 2018-10-19 6:52 PM (#571991 - in reply to #571983)

Expert

I do the same as BigBlockMopar.
mikes2nd
Posted 2018-10-19 7:11 PM (#571993 - in reply to #571983)

Expert 5K+

I guess I'm more of a minor restommodder restorer... I've put a 392 hemi in my 57 dodge... Cadillac seats, ford rear diff. Original dash and most of the rest original. All restored to better than new. Disc brakes, posi... Seals tight... Upgrades engine parts when possible. Alt, starter, electric fans, radiator, intake manifold, other items

And drivable
mikes2nd
Posted 2018-10-19 7:15 PM (#571994 - in reply to #571983)

Expert 5K+

Oh and i don't care if it's all mopar... Who cares, i want what works best.

My next build will either be a very custom 300c, or a custom regal.lancer... Yes.it.may not be all mopar i will try to keep it mopar if it.makes sense. If mopar makes an equivalent part is use the mopar.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2018-10-19 9:49 PM (#572009 - in reply to #571994)

I like cars that look like nicely cared for, still largely original, 5 year old
used cars. Period-correct mods can be cool, if well done. Got little use
for cars made into flawless museum pieces. They were built as cars, not
as paperweights to hold the floor down in static displays.

I have been warming over my 1925 Ford TT truck to use and drive, keeping
the appearance as if it is 1939, and the truck has been well cared for, but
"farm repairs and upgrades" have been made. Only flathead screws and
square head nuts and bolts are used. No plywood. White oak side board
and ash floorboards. I make no effort to keep the paint nice.

Built with a single tail light, no brake lights or turn signals, this winter's
project is to wire in a period "STOP" light to an actuator switch of my own
design. Turn signals are yellow glass arrows, also period, housed in original
hooded fixtures. I am making a turn signal actuator from scratch, utilizing
a 3-position toggle switch, mounted on an original horn button housing,
with a lathe-turned end to hold the toggle. The actual arm is a turned
brass rod, bored and threaded on the switch end and flattened into a round
"paddle" at the other, to mimic to throttle and spark advance levers. It
looks like Henry made it himself.

Each winter I take on a large project with it. In previous years I rebuilt
the drivetrain to develop 60hp, as opposed to the original 20. It scoots
right along now, but brakes are the impossible conundrum. With hickory
spoke wheels and no provision for front brakes, any mods drastically alter
the period appearance, and as a result, pretty much limit what one wants
to do for speed, when you are so limited on stopping. To change the wheels
and axles to something that could handle front brakes would be to destroy
the looks and charm of the vehicle ... the very reason I own it. So, I draw
the line on "upgrades" where it detracts from the aesthetics of period charm.
skyhawk
Posted 2018-10-19 11:02 PM (#572014 - in reply to #572009)

Veteran

I try to stick pretty close to the "original look" that defined the car's character, In my opinion, things like disc brake conversions, seat belts, dual master cylinders and other things that add to a safer driving experience are acceptable changes, as are mechanical upgrades that increase performance and reliability (Electronic ignition, camshaft swaps, etc.) I try to "hide" or disguise what I can as much as I can. Other changes, to me, depend upon what you're doing and the car you're doing it to. Paint needs to be a factory available color (or close) for the Forward Look era. Chrome Magnum 500's and raised white letter tires look OK on my '59 Plymouth Fury hardtop(and represent what I might have done to the car when I bought it in the late 60s, were I not a starving college student.) Twenty-inch wheels would be totally out of character for my Chrysler 300G, however, if only because, to me, they just don't look "right." I'm adverse to anything sticking through the hood that wasn't there when the car left the factory. Stuff like that.

Edited by skyhawk 2018-10-19 11:08 PM
60 dart
Posted 2018-10-19 11:09 PM (#572016 - in reply to #571984)

Expert 5K+

BigBlockMopar - 2018-10-19 2:28 PM

Personally, I don't restore.
I build, fix up, improve and enjoy.
The most enjoyment comes from building the car though for me.

I do however try to keep everything mostly Mopar in my older cars, but I use 60s Mopar-parts mostly to 'keep it all in the family'.

i like that answer and i also like my oem generator
mikes2nd
Posted 2018-10-20 4:52 AM (#572022 - in reply to #571983)

Expert 5K+

Im trying to lose weight on my car since i put a hemi on my dodge torsion bars, you know how heavy that generator is? Feels like the world... almost as bad as the 4 barrell hemi intake manifold... its 50 lbs!
Stroller
Posted 2018-10-20 10:08 AM (#572032 - in reply to #571983)

Extreme Veteran

Veryyyyyy cool I am just currios about this. I have always had the major problem "if it came with it, it needs to be there and work". At some point it can also be like "it could have came this way" like taking a slant 6 out of a '71 Duster and plopping in the 440. People say I am crazy that I have this "realy nice" '56 green car and I have driven it work, taken grocery shopping and blew the doors off a Honda Prelude with it. I just love to drive the old cars and trucks because you have to "drive them" as opposed to new cars and trucks. The reason I ask this is we are familiar with the Barret Jacksons auctions. It seems cars that are the "custom mods or resto mods" are bring major money. When an bone stock original, be it rebuilt, comes across it is anyone guess. But to me if you own it and you like it do what you want. When is comes to wood I am seriusly considering useing locust wood for the bed of my Lil Red Express it will never rot. But thank you all for your posts.
Sonoramic60
Posted 2018-10-20 1:57 PM (#572055 - in reply to #572032)

Expert

Stoller --
I think you're right on as it's your bang for your bucks. Since I'm a product of those years, I tend to keep my favorite cars as I remember them, "warts and all." For example:
1. I wanted a fuel-injected red droptop Corvette when I graduated from college but couldn't afford it until 24 years later. I did find one then, minus the fuel unit and "Glen Green" so I got the injection system for the engine, put the side-mount exhausts back on, had the body painted "resale red" (officially "Rally Red") , and added a few other tweaks like transistorized ignition, teak steering wheel, aluminum knock-offs, and rebuilt the heads (to accommodate unleaded gas). So it is a "matching numbers" car regarding engine and trans, but not color (my grandchildren can fix that if they want), but since GM's records are nonexistent for those cars, who can say anything about the rest?
2. My blue/white '60 Fury is really a barn-find that was a Colorado rancher's "Sunday-go-to-meetin' car" with only 43000 on the clock when I bought it in 2000. Since it's arguably the most original SonoRamic Commando car still around, I didn't do much to it other than re-do the heads, replace the carpeting, and have the horse tooth scratches on the rear deck and hood fixed. I also put a later hemi transistorized ignition and coil to eliminate that weak dual point stuff, but the original is in storage. I've been thinking about putting a 426 Hemi for it -- to put in the trunk attached to a chain, so I can kick it out as an anchor. Those 2"X11" brakes are pitiful, but the car is SO original I'm leaving it that way. I had a similar car from 1960 to 1964 and I was going repaint this blue one all white like the first, but my sons talked me out of it even though I'm not very fond of the color ("Twilight Blue Metallic/Arctic White").
3. My 300C is a such classic that I've gone full-bore on it's restoration with no mods at all.
4. Back in 1964 when I couldn't get that Vette, I settled for a Medium Red Metallic '65 Sport Fury with the 426-S and 4-speed. A couple of years ago, I found its virtual twin with the same engine/trans combo, plus the same red exterior/interior. This recent acquisition does have a vinyl top which I may have removed since my first didn't, but it's no biggie. Most of the restoration work was done by the previous owner who passed away (I bought it from his estate) and about all I've done is replace some stainless trim and damaged valve covers, plus have the A833 4-speed rebulit.
All three of my MoPars have build records which substantiate their appearance and options, but about all I could do was trace my Vette down to its second owner. I have no compunction about driving any of them and, indeed, hammering them on occasion. The 120 MPH speedo's on the Furys are easy to peg and I can say that the needle on the "C" did nudge the 150 mark (old speedometer, long straight, slight down grade, following breeze). However, I was fortunate to get the 160 speedometer on the Vette to indicate 150 as it has 3.70 gears and as Duntov said, "No mit-year KorFette wit de 327 vill do vonfiddy; it vill koom off de grount vurst!" (Design flaw develops an aerodynamic lift over the front end at high speeds.) But all four can surprise beemers and tuners at a stop light Grand Prix.
Joe Godec
Apollo 61
Posted 2018-10-20 3:10 PM (#572059 - in reply to #571983)
Subject: RE: Restore to what degree?

Elite Veteran

When I recently rescued my 61 fury from where it had sat since 1984. To be honest the car is kinda rough rust wise. My friend who was helping me load the car gave me some good advice (that I'm not following) He told me that I should put my money,time and effort into making it as road worthy as possible. Patching the floorboards with sheet metal and driving it to shows just as I found it. Up grading parts as I find them. He said it would still turn heads without being a showpiece. Instead I had what I had I call ARNIE moment where I'm going to attempt to restore it to SHOW ME condition. I'm hoping to get it done in my life time. I can get the the rat rod version done in 6 months. I'm still debating which way to go. I'm going to keep the time period hot rod mods for sure. I'm also going to put a 65 300 rearend in it with 63 300 front drums on it. Anyways to restore to what degree has a lot factors as to how deep your pockets are? How much time you have? How much space you have to work with? Restoring a FL to show condition to flip is most likely a losing proposition. Restoring one to your abilitys can be priceless .
51coronet
Posted 2018-10-20 4:57 PM (#572076 - in reply to #571983)

Extreme Veteran

This is a matter of personal taste and intent of the car. Some cars deserve a more stock resto (300 letter cars) and others fair well with mods. Bottom line is do what you want and enjoy your ride. My 57 2 dr imperial has custom interior, 4 wheel discs, new paint, modern overdrive trans, full roller valve train, 58 trunk emblem and 58 valve covers. Modern parts throughout the engine. Still in progress but almost there.

(hemi engine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hemi engine.jpg (345KB - 168 downloads)
Viper Guy
Posted 2018-10-20 5:46 PM (#572081 - in reply to #571983)

Expert

I guess it depends on what trips your trigger. If you like to have driving fun but still be factory original in looks, who cares if the engine and transmission, brakes, lights, seats, steering, tires, etc. is as long as it looks like a factory car to most people. You'll spend less money and time to enjoy it. The most expensive way is trying to go factory original from stem to stern and it takes lots of time too. But some folks like doing that and take pride showing off their cars.

Basically it's up to you. Best of success in your goal.

Powerflite
Posted 2018-10-21 5:00 AM (#572097 - in reply to #571983)

Expert 5K+

All Imperials from '51 to '57 should have used '58 valve covers. It was dumb that they waited until the last year to make them.

I hate non-original dash & interiors. When I get in the car, I want to be transformed back to the original time period. The only exception is seat belts just for safety's sake and my wife won't ride in it without them. The same *mostly* goes for the outside except for wheels. I like 15" radials with a wider patch on the road. I try to keep the engine bay mostly stock looking, but am open to any upgrade possible - especially to reduce weight & improve efficiency & power. The brakes, transmission & rearend is open for anything, though there is no good reason to mess with these rears. If I am going to transplant a motor, it is going to be something that someone could have done soon after it was new.
Stroller
Posted 2018-11-03 2:31 PM (#572853 - in reply to #571983)

Extreme Veteran

Veryy cool and thanks to everyone for responding. I agree if it's yours do what you want and you like, it may not appeal to others but the others are not driving it and it sure isn't their money. Back in '96 I bought a D-150 sluggless wonder simply to haul hay for my horse and what ever junk. I bought it mainly because it had the Adventurer trim same as my Lil Red except the engine, stacks and steering wheel. Same black bucket seats. I decided to go ahead and put some green in it. Rebuilt the engine and cammed it up, 4 barrel and true dual exhaust, sway bar, new suspension and went with old school Gabriel shocks. That's what snow balled it. I decided to go "what would have been done back then". I found a nos set of Direct Connection valve covers. Decided to go with the yellow plug wires. And chrome don't get you home, but it looks good while your waiting. I tracked some old Cal Custom plug wire holders and even a 1979 Mr. Gasket crome air cleaner to which I may never find a correct fitting air filter. Put in the same rear end as my Lil Red a sure grip .354. This is a custom to the bone I am serious it was a gutless wonder.

But yeah heck even if some is in love with something they wanted back in high school might have been a gremlin if you want a new one, how new do you want it. One thing about that old 1925 TT truck I would try to put in is a heater.
57burb
Posted 2018-11-05 2:33 PM (#572993 - in reply to #572853)

Expert

I think there is plenty of room for cars and people of all stripes in our hobby.

Some people are absolute perfectionists. They aren't interested in a car that is less than flawless, which even means "fixing" things the factory did not do well during the build, and trailering the car around to shows.

Some people want their cars to be untouched originals. They want a car that has that solid, untouched factory build quality even if there are some minor (or sometimes major!) imperfections.

Some people want their cars to be drivers. Originality is not as important as staying well maintained, but the cars stay more or less stock.

Some people want a bunch of projects! These FL cars are special, and hard to find, so some people are always on the hunt for the next conquest!

And then you have those animals that just butcher good, restorable cars...
bbrasse1
Posted 2018-11-05 5:48 PM (#573009 - in reply to #571983)

Extreme Veteran

I am with Powerflite except I want the engine and drivetrain to be original. I want all the rust fixed and new paint, brakes and suspension. I want the headaches that go with what I remember after all it's not the car I drive everyday. All the old 50's cars I had required constant maintenance. If I break down there's cell phones today. I don't have to walk to someone's house or a pay phone. I love them as original as possible but clean, not immaculate or on display. I don't care about shows, just going for a ride in an old car I like.
plymouth
Posted 2018-11-05 7:29 PM (#573012 - in reply to #573009)

Expert

A mechanical restoration is the most important to me. A few upgrades such as disc brakes, electronic ignition, LED tail lights and headlights. Once the mechanical aspect is squared away, drive it like you would any car. Interior/ exterior restoration can be done a little at a time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)