The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

radio condenser on the back of my fuel gauge?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

61forfun
Posted 2010-10-03 1:27 AM (#244023)
Subject: radio condenser on the back of my fuel gauge?

Extreme Veteran

In the process of rebuilding my dash and then to install my new YNZ harness. I came across a condeser attached to the back of my fuel gauge on my 61 Pioneer (see pic). I have several new condensers that I could modify to have same pigtail, but wondered if I am going to be challenged with the spec on the condenser. I have a bag full of NOS ford radio condensers from the same era. I am assuming it's existence is to reduce interference by the fuel gauge where the radio is concerned and the condenser should be there to absorb and residual electrical arcing inside the fuel gauge which does have a set of contact points inside it. Any advice so I avoid torching my NOS fuel gauge would be most appreciated.

Sam

Edited by 61forfun 2010-10-03 1:43 AM

(61 dodge fuel condenser.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 61 dodge fuel condenser.JPG (120KB - 356 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
njlimbaugh
Posted 2010-10-04 10:11 AM (#244156 - in reply to #244023)
Subject: Re: radio condenser on the back of my fuel gauge?

Extreme Veteran

Both the parts book and wiring diagram for my 61 Fury shows a voltage limiter feeding both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge. I have a parts list for the 61 dodge, but it shows nothing except the gauges themselves. Since your picture shows this condensor-looking thing mounted to a ground, I don't see how it could be a voltage limiter, even if one showed up in the parts. It's interesting that your fuel gauge has a set of points inside; I've never seen that. However, if that's the case then the condensor must be to prevent arcing. Condensor capacity is measured in microfarrads, so perhaps somebody who knows radio equipment could measure that for you and you could find a replacement unit. Hopefully somebody who knows more about this than I do can jump in here. good luck!
61forfun
Posted 2010-10-04 4:03 PM (#244201 - in reply to #244023)
Subject: RE: radio condenser on the back of my fuel gauge?

Extreme Veteran

Thanks.. yeah the plymouth and Chrysler utilized external voltage limiters, while the Dodges used internal. I have a 61, Service Ref Book (issue 155) that explains all Mopar instrument Panel testing and anomolies amongst the Mopar brand. Even shows pics.. but mentions nothing of the specs on the condenser.. I can't imagine it would be far off from a standard automotive grade condenser....but then again.. I am not sure and don't want to take a chance. Thank you for taking the time to research and post a response. (see attachment below)

Edited by 61forfun 2010-10-04 9:35 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments int-ext reg gauges.jpeg (132KB - 341 downloads)
1959 Belvedere Conv
Posted 2010-10-22 11:40 PM (#246669 - in reply to #244023)

Elite Veteran

Sam, how goes the wiring of the YNZ harness into your car? I am doing another brand of aftermaket harness and am in the middle of blending it into my old existing steering wheel harness. What a mess!

Did you attempt to use the old steering column/turn signal wiring or did you convert that out too?
61forfun
Posted 2010-10-23 9:19 PM (#246782 - in reply to #246669)

Extreme Veteran

The new YNZ harness is an identical copy of my old one. I sent them my old harness and they actually had to use a few of the light sockets as they are not currently manufactured. They built a beautiful harness. My old column turn signal switch, I replaced with an nos unit, off ebay. I just finished my dash restoration and am starting to install my new harness into the dash, which I have sitting on the bench. The nearest I can figure out is the factory must've installed the harness on the dash then dropped the who thing into the car. Much easier that way.. no layin on my back in contorted fashion to reach for dark unknowns. The dash just bolts in so it makes it very easy to see what you are doing. I have all the schematics a well... and the YNZ harness came with directions as well as the YNZ folks are super helpful if you get in a bind. Before I can remount the dash though, I gotta finish restoring my heater, water valve and seal the floors. I do not anticpate any problems as it looks pretty obvious thus far. I will keep you posted. Check out my album..I post a few pics there when I make a bit of progress.

Edited by 61forfun 2010-10-23 9:22 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)