The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OEM Paint Archaeology
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Greg P.
Posted 2017-05-26 6:32 PM (#540951)
Subject: OEM Paint Archaeology

Elite Veteran

Below you will see a photo of my 59 Windsor, which I believe has 48,000 original miles. It has never been repainted, and the turquoise gray poly paint has not stood the test of time very well, although I have to say I kind of like the way it looks.

It is interesting that the white paint areas are in pretty good shape and still shine up nicely. It does seem that in general, the metallic colors of the day did not weather as well as the solid colors. Until the advent of clearcoat, silver cars in particular never seem to fare that well.

The paint on the hood reminds me of the layers in an archaeological dig. Maybe somebody can shed some light on what I am seeing. It appears that there are two layers of primer under the color. The base layer is an oxide red brown color. On top of that, there appears to be a second layer of light gray primer. Is that correct? What was the purpose of two layers? I am just curious to know if any knows how the production paint process was performed.

Also, it appears that the turquoise paint on the roof was applied directly over the white paint, as no primer is showing. Only the white paint is showing through. Seems like an odd way to do that.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Greg P. 2017-05-26 6:37 PM

(my59.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments my59.jpg (125KB - 197 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2017-05-26 6:45 PM (#540952 - in reply to #540951)
Subject: RE: OEM Paint Archaeology

Expert 5K+

Pretty sure that primer was just used between the base metal and the top coat. In the case of your roof, it was probably first painted with primer, then white and then after some amount of curing, masked off and painted the green, right over the white (they might have scuffed the white - who knows?). Then metal roof trim was added.

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-05-26 6:47 PM
Chrycoman
Posted 2017-05-26 8:33 PM (#540958 - in reply to #540951)
Subject: Re: OEM Paint Archaeology

Expert

Two coats of primer were added to the body prior to the body colour. Then the roof was painted with two coats of enamel, in this case white, when a two tone paint job is requested. Just easier to paint the whole roof white first.

The roof was then masked off for the turquoise colour (roof and body) and two coats were applied. Each coat of colour and primer was heat dried before the next layer was applied.

Painting the roof in that way saved money and time as you only needed one pass for each coat of the turquoise roof and body.

As for the two layers of primer, probably paint adhesion. The first layer probably sticks better to the metal than the grey while the colour coats do better applied to the grey.

Silver was not noted for its stability. Both Ford and Chevrolet had problems with silver metallic in the mid-1960's. Ford had a problem with the silver metallic coming off the front clip. Due to Ford's body and frame system the front clip was painted separately from the body. Chevy's silver metallic just wore through to the primer. The car could be low mileage and in great condition, except for the horrid paint job.

Later in the 1960's Chrysler began to offer a buffing process for the silver metallic paint.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)