The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 Power Steering Parts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

bbrasse1
Posted 2013-12-08 5:01 PM (#415159)
Subject: 57 Power Steering Parts

Extreme Veteran

I have an aluminum power steering unit out of a 57 Desoto Fireflite. I got a kit from Gary Nelson about 2 years ago and now that I have the unit apart I see I have all the small o rings and seals but no main piston rings. They are large thick rubber seals that are round on top and flat on the bottom. Does anybody who has tackled this job know where I can get new ones?
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57plybel
Posted 2013-12-09 2:33 AM (#415245 - in reply to #415159)
Subject: RE: 57 Power Steering Parts

Extreme Veteran

I'm thinking back maybe 8 years or so but when I rebuilt my co-axial box, I came to the conclusion that the "o" rings were once round and became "d" shaped from many years of confinement....  I put in regular o rings and box is fine to this day !

It was hard to track down the other seals, thrust bearings etc but o rings were standard.... IF I remember correctly.....

If you find a parts book with exploded views, they can be cross referenced to a mopar part number and then searched for....

There was an ebay seller (Donnie - Nos Mopar 1 or similar) that was very helpful... he searched and contacted me months later with the correct parts.  If I recall his exact details I will post them.

To me, that steering box was the most difficult part of the whole car to source parts for....seals were a combination of metric/imperial within the same seal and not available over the counter at a regular bearing shop...

Colin

hemidenis
Posted 2013-12-09 3:06 PM (#415322 - in reply to #415159)
Subject: Re: 57 Power Steering Parts

Expert

I was told that a regular O ring will work. When I was in Argentina I had no enough guts to take apart the PS unit, I know that they are many special parts in it.

Edited by hemidenis 2013-12-09 3:07 PM

(IMG_0853.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0853.JPG (73KB - 118 downloads)
bbrasse1
Posted 2013-12-11 7:11 PM (#415723 - in reply to #415159)

Extreme Veteran

That unit looks great! I am fortunate that before Gary Nelson closed up shop I bought water pump rebuild kits, power steering kits, Kelsey Hayes power brake kits and transmission parts. he also used to rebuild torque converters. I'm not sure who does that now. Anyway, I am lucky to have all the seals and o rings except the main rings. I have checked o ring warehouse, Parker hannifan, etc. I will find a suitable replacement? The surprising part of disassembling a perfectly good working power steering unit is the discovery of mud that lays in the lower shaft down where the pitman arm seal is and also in the back of the main piston chamber!!!!! I am so glad I am in there cleaning it out. I would have sent it out for overhaul at Lares or one of the shops that does that repair well but I am the kind of person that needs to see if I can do it myself. So far it is totally apart and going really well. I did have to make a tool or two but I am at the point now of reassembly. Wow! What a rant! Anyway if anyone has a source for the main O rings let me know. They are square except the very to that contacts the housing which is round. Thanks
LD3 Greg
Posted 2013-12-11 11:45 PM (#415770 - in reply to #415723)

Expert

They are probably typical "piston rings" not O rings. I would try a hydraulic cylinder repair shop.
Greg
bbrasse1
Posted 2013-12-12 4:52 AM (#415784 - in reply to #415159)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Greg I appreciate the advice and will check out hydraulic repair shops. they are very much like a rubber piston ring. The groove in the piston is square. I wasn't able to pull anything like what I needed by googling rubber piston ring.
Bob
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)