The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1957 DeSoto Adventurer Paint codes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

'57ADV
Posted 2015-10-13 5:09 AM (#492163)
Subject: 1957 DeSoto Adventurer Paint codes

Regular

I've been researching the correct colors for my 1957 Adventurer initially because I was confused by a Chrysler Historical document for my car stating it was painted Frost white and Adventurer Gold whereas various internet sites and advertisements for Adventurers for sale always seemed to mention "Surf White".

I did some research with www.paintref.com which indicated the following: Surf White as a 1955 color only so seemingly not correct for a '57 Adventurer? Frosty White - Ditzler code 8131 was used for Firesweep S-27 but this code 8131 also corresponds to numerous other names such as : Glacier, Ermine, Pearl, Eggshell, Alaska, Iceberg, Ivory and Pearl for different Chrysler Divisions.

There was also a very similar white offered by Desoto in 1957 just called "White" Ditzler code 8036. This also cross references as Cloud white having the same 8036 code. I wrote several times to Chrysler Historical who were very helpful. They confirmed that there was indeed a mistake on my documents and that Frosty White was incorrect. It should have just read "White" - code 8036 (also known as Cloud white). I now have a Ditzler Paint Chip card clearly showing both "Frosty White 8131" (S-27 only) and separately "White 8036" for Firedome S-25 and Fireflite S-26. Although these whites are very close, in certain light you can see that the "White" 8036 is a brighter, cleaner white than the Frosty White 8131. I have assumed that as the Adventurer was a sub series of the Fireflite that this is the correct "white 8036 " and that Chrysler Historical are correct.

I thought, great, now I know I should paint my car "White - 8036". Then I started looking more closely at the Adventurer Gold! The same Ditzler card for 1957 colors lists "Adventurer Gold" 21293 but if you look closely it says next to it "1956 (two tones only)" I knew that the '56 Gold was different from the '57 Adventurer Gold but why was the 1956 color appearing on the 1957 card?

There was a very helpful 2009 post from Chrycoman which shed's light in that the later gold was added in Jan '57 and has a different Ditzler code of 21273. I now also have an original Ditzler "New Color Information Advance Bulletin" document dated 1-22-57 which says "New Color. Paint code PPP Adventurer Gold Poly (formerly known as Gold Tone Poly) 21273 Note: This color (21273) is new and should not be mistaken with the color chip shown on the 1957 Desoto color card which is a late 1956 color also called Adventurer Gold Poly, 21293."

So, this absolutely ties in with the Chrycoman post in that it was changed in (late) January 1957. However, so far I have not been able to find a color chip card of this new Adventurer Gold anywhere - has anyone seen one anywhere? It is apparently not in the master books.

My final question is were any early 1957 Adventurers painted in the late 1956 gold before the change in January 1957? Also if this "Advance Bulletin" was dated 1-22-57 when would the actual color change have been carried out - immediately, or a little later on the production line? My car was built on Feb 8th 1957 so it's close to the changeover date. Or, were ALL '57 Adventurers painted in the "new" 21273 gold? Does anyone know the answer to this? Did I hear once that in the fifties the new model year autos came out in the Autumn of the preceding year - so late 1956 year but a 1957 model auto?

If anyone wants to see the color card and advance bulleting documents just let me know and I'll scan them and add them to this post.

Additional information just arrived today in the form of an ACME Formula bulletin #24 - Sheet #3 Desoto - 1958 which shows 1957 Spring Color 8416-G Adventurer Gold Metallic. I've now added this along with the Ditzler New Color Bulletin and Ditzler 1957 Color Chips, cards.

So, the question is - does the ACME 8416-G 1957 Spring Color = the Ditzler post January 22nd 1957 color 21273? My car was built on February 7th 1957 so I'm now wondering if Adventurers built before "Spring" 1957 used the old late '56 gold and those after either Spring '57 or January 22 '57 should be the newer gold replacement? Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know if "1957 Spring Color" would infer a specific date in 1957?

I'd really appreciate guidance on this.

P.S. I had to scale down the resolution on the scans as they were too big to upload here, so the colors are a bit off, but the rest of the text should be clear enough.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)