The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hoffman Green Motors
Moderators: Forward Look Frank

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Maryland RegionMessage format

bbrasse1
Posted 2014-09-19 9:00 PM (#456830)
Subject: Hoffman Green Motors

Extreme Veteran

Just wondering if anybody here knew any of the people or bought their cars from Hoffman Green Motors 3810 West Belvedere, Baltimore , Md. I knew Charlie Hoffman back in the early 60's and Dick Ermer his son in law. Great people and was a real going business back then. My grandfather bought two desoto's and a Chrysler from him. Charlie and his wife Caroline were a friend of the families as well as the Ermer's until their deaths.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
firedome
Posted 2014-09-22 4:02 PM (#457060 - in reply to #456830)
Subject: Re: Hoffman Green Motors

Expert

Growing up in Towson, 1950 - 1968, only a few miles from W. Belvedere (used to be a great Hochschild Kohn Dept Store at York & W. Belvedere!) I remember Hoffman Green. My best friend's Dad, (they lived down the street), was Sales Mgr of Smith Motors in White Marsh, one of their competitors. My Dad always bought Fords, so not from H-G. I think the neighbor behind us bought his black '58 and '65 New Yorkers from them. As I recall H-G went out of business around the late 60s?
bbrasse1
Posted 2014-09-25 4:56 AM (#457314 - in reply to #456830)

Extreme Veteran

I believe you are right. My parents told me a great story about Charlie Hoffman's love for cars especially Chrysler products. The story is that there was a big shindig at Ships Cafe at Ocean City back in the mid 50's and somebody was complaining about their gearshift hanging up and Charlie slid under the car and adjusted the linkage in a white suit! I remember him and the family to be really good people. I grew up in the Pikesville area and my grandparents lived on Penhurst Avenue in the city.
firedome
Posted 2014-09-29 9:50 AM (#457692 - in reply to #457314)

Expert

We were almost neighbors, Pikesville being just west of Towson, I grew up in Chestnut Hills, 1 blk West of Charles St Ave at Joppa Rd... this was mostly before the "new" Charles St extension out to the Beltway at Bellona that opened in the early 60s. So now you have Charles St and Charles St Ave (the "old" one).

One would see the Hoffman Motors nameplate on the trunk of Chryslers around there quite often since they were an old time dealer way back. As mentioned I'm pretty sure Mr. Fritsche who lived sort of behind us, bought his cars there, I noticed those kind of things! He always had a black NYer. sedan, very elegant, I recall the '58 and '65, think he had a '52 or '53 before those, but I was pre-school then.

Edited by firedome 2014-09-29 9:55 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)