The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

P/S pump info
Moderators: big m

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Pacific Northwest RegionMessage format

59 in Calif
Posted 2016-10-25 8:46 PM (#524394)
Subject: P/S pump info

Elite Veteran

Hey Guys, I spent some time researching Chry Saginaw P/S pumps. Here's what I found. The later 1970's pump will work with our older P/S units, but the press relief valve in the pump needs to be adj'd to drop the press. I found a web site moparaction.com/tech that deals with dropping the press by shimming the press relief valve. It's not that hard to do, and don't have to take the pump apart to do it. Just remove the press outlet fitting and the relief valve is in behind it. There is also a spring behind relief valve that may pop out too. After shimming the valve and reinstalling, that press fitting can be a real PITA getting it started into the threads. Once I got it started I used a nail big enough to go thru the fitting and pushed on the relief valve to insure it wasn't binding up. After my 3rd try, my test gauge showed 500 PSI at the end of the turning radius. I also noticed when turning the steering wheel (one hand easily ) that the operating press was only 200 PSI. I tried it some more. Still got the same readings. It works and doesn't leak so decided to stop there. Sure does seem odd, that the steering unit is rated at 850 - 950 PSI, but only uses 200 PSI to turn the wheels. Thought I would share the info if anyone is interested. Jerry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)