The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

55 Dodge Fuel Pump problems
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

Burnemup
Posted 2020-12-03 11:25 AM (#606304)
Subject: 55 Dodge Fuel Pump problems

Veteran

Ok, To start out I developed a starting problem. I would wiggle the wires connecting the Electronic Ignition & Electronic Regulator and it would start(No Spark issues), It would finally start. I decided to replace both units as well as the Electronic Dist. It would work intermittenly. Then I was getting no gas to the carb, I disconnected the gas line and cranked it over with my remote start button and No gas being pumped. Also note I had to send the pump back to the shop because the pump was not working. Put the rebuild pump back on and still no gas to the carb. So I removed the pump and went to my friends house and we bench tested it and it pumped fine. I put it back on and still no Gas getting pumped up to carb. So I believe something happened to the fuel pump eccentric inside the engine. I then replaced my low-pressure electric fuel pump with a reglur electric fuel pump to allow me to use the car until I can tear down the engine. It seems to be running good now. I plan on replacing the Isky cam with a stock type cam after the first of the year. I will find out about fuel pump eccentric when I tear it apart to do the cam replacment.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks, Ernie Baily
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mopar1
Posted 2020-12-03 11:51 AM (#606312 - in reply to #606304)
Subject: Re: 55 Dodge Fuel Pump problems

Expert

You wern't using both at the same time were you? But if the cam bolt came loose the eccentric would spin @ some point, but you'll lose the timing gear soon. "Stock Type" You mean stock grind or a long snout?
samstrader
Posted 2020-12-03 10:33 PM (#606337 - in reply to #606304)
Subject: RE: 55 Dodge Fuel Pump problems

Extreme Veteran

Hi Burnemup, Is your car a V8? I have a 1955 Plymouth V8 and just recently pulled the cam with the engine in the car. It is actually not too hard to get to this eccentric with the engine still in the car. You do not have to pull the oil pan so you can hold the engine up with a jack on the oil pan.

A picture of the eccentric is attached. You can see that if your eccentric has come off, that is a real big problem because it means the nut that holds the upper timing gear on has backed off. You can check you eccentric for installation and for damage from the hole that the fuel pump fits into. I did this to make sure I had oil on my eccentric. You can feel it with your finger and you can see it with a mirror. It may be worth checking. That eccentric is really hard steel and I can't see how one would get damaged too much unless there was zero oil on it. And I think the lever arm would wear out before the eccentric.

I installed a new carter fuel pump that is a little different than the Airtex pumps. This pump was an exact match for the fuel pump that my dad had installed sometimes in the 1970's It has worked real good and ebay has several for sale. If your eccentric is good maybe there is something wrong with your fuel pump that a bench test won't show and all you really need is a new fuel pump.

Here's the listing for the fuel pump that works for my 259 V8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Carter-M2348-Fuel-Pump-For-Chrysler-Ind...

Edited by samstrader 2020-12-03 10:40 PM

(Timing Chain 1.jpg)

(Timing Chain 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Timing Chain 1.jpg (189KB - 197 downloads)
Attachments Timing Chain 2.jpg (124KB - 196 downloads)
Burnemup
Posted 2020-12-04 12:39 PM (#606359 - in reply to #606304)

Veteran

I think I resolved my spark issues, I have changed the distributor, the ECU, Electronic Regulator, Coil and put on a ground wire for both the ECU & Regulator. I have a low pressure electric pump back by the tank to resolve the vapor lock issues. I had recently had the Carb too! But because the issue of the new rebuilt fuel not pumping, I switched to a full strength electric fuel pump to attemp to keep the car usable. But I test drove the car yesterday and it seems like the accelerator pump is not working right. I believe the electric pump is pushing fuel to the carb, so it runs at idle and slowly builds up speed. Also I heard a clanking sound at the front of the engine just before I turned it off. And to top it off the passenger side exhaust flange gasket has blown out(sounds like a old truck) again. About every 3-4 months I have to replace it.
Burnemup
Posted 2020-12-07 10:27 AM (#606491 - in reply to #606304)

Veteran

Well, I just test ran it and put a timing light on it and it does look like the timing has jumped. I had it a 4 degrees before TDC and now it is about 6-8 degrees
past TDC, just enough to still run. It looks like I get to start next years project of replacing the cam with a stock cam a little earlier than I planned.

Merry Xmas to all and Happy New Year Too!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)