The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cars: at car shows VS for sale.... IMHO
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

mrho455
Posted 2017-02-13 11:57 AM (#533914)
Subject: Cars: at car shows VS for sale.... IMHO

I am noticing something interesting on this board that I myself have been doing either consciously or unconsciously for as long as I can remember.

I am at a car show and see a car I like. I marvel and am impressed at its condition and overlook the defects all cars have. I stress the Good and minimize the Bad.

How ever, if the same car had a For Sale sign on it my opinion s reversed. I now Maximize the defects and minimize the Good.

I am noticing that a Car on the "member rides" section is praised for its attributes no matter what the obvious and numerous defects are.

And a car that is in the for sale section (mostly ebay listings) are torn apart .

Yeah they may seem over priced, but everyone knows that no mater what you estimated a repair or a refresh will cost, it is almost always tripled.

I love seeing some of the quality cars that are on the market today. Yes, some(most) prices seem unrealistically high, but I just " try" and look at the car as if I saw it at a car show, and forget about the "for sale" sign.

We shouldn't feel good about finding defects on other peoples cars unless they ask for a critique . Also, if they get that crazy $$, it only helps the value of our own "money pits"

Just my opinion and , as I have said , I am trying to "change" my outlook.

agree or disagree???

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Greg P.
Posted 2017-02-13 3:42 PM (#533941 - in reply to #533914)
Subject: RE: Cars: at car shows VS for sale.... IMHO

Elite Veteran

I've noticed the same thing, but personally I have no problem with it.

The way I see it is that we all love these cars, and we enjoy seeing them in any condition. So it makes sense that we say nice things to the owners at shows and on the board.

However... for a car offered for sale, while I still enjoy seeing the car, I feel that we can provide a service to members by making any potential buyer aware of issues that may affect the value and price. Buying a car is a tricky proposition and as a buyer, I'd sure like to know if there are any potential issues that I may not have noticed. On this message board, we have people who have expertise on certain models and features that others don't have. This is particularly important when the seller either doesn't mention specific flaws or issues or misstates certain facts.

For example, there was a nice 57 Firesweep for sale recently, where the seller claimed the interior fabric was original. Having quite a lot of Firesweep experience, I posted that the interior was certainly not original or correct for that car. Was it a nice interior? Absolutely, but regardless of how nice it was, I think any buyer would want to know that it was not original.

Some times the critiquing gets a bit harsh and I've seen some sellers take it as a personal insult. The challenge is to separate the business transaction from personal love of these cars. I think they are two different things; business and pleasure. If you are going to offer a car up for sale, you need to be ready to handle the critiques. like they say, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
mikes2nd
Posted 2017-02-13 4:32 PM (#533947 - in reply to #533914)
Subject: Re: Cars: at car shows VS for sale.... IMHO

Expert 5K+

were trying to cheer on new members whats the good of going "wow that's a piece of chit"? unless your a cranky old bas***d(plenty of those here who do) but hey...

In my mind and opinion I know what I think is acceptable and what is not.

and yes this is the internet its full of lies exaggerations, falsifications...

And a lot of the sellers are car dealers and they will lie to their own grandmothers face for a dollar... Sellers always exaggerate and its best to expect the worse when buying over the internet.

We need to be critical of these cars for sale... a bondo and respray is not an original solid car, yet many sellers say it is... claim 'I didn't know" later... these cars are so rare many know the original owners and the history of them and share. That's good when you dealing with cars that would rust out in 3-4 years.
RJ72cuda
Posted 2017-02-13 5:08 PM (#533951 - in reply to #533914)

Veteran

you have to view a potential purchase/ investment as a worst case scenario, nothing wrong with that when I look at a car to purchase I am VERY careful to make sure that I do my best to not be rude but point out things that devalue the car. if the car is at a show its "whatever floats your boat"
mrho455
Posted 2017-02-13 7:06 PM (#533965 - in reply to #533914)
Subject: RE: Cars: at car shows VS for sale.... IMHO

Very good points!!

I will relay an experience I have witnessed numerous times and I think it might be relevant.

I am in a local Pontiac club. At our monthly meetings many members drive their Pontiacs to the meeting(as weather permits).

After meetings end we usually congregate in the parking lot to BS.

There are sometimes new prospective members attending meetings for the first time and sometimes they drive their Pontiacs to the meeting.

We are all anxious to check out the visitors car.

How ever we have one member( call him Ron) that is all about "Concourse correct" type cars and proceeds to list all the "incorrect" items on said car. We are talking wrong hose clamps, items painted wrong color, year incorrect options....etc. Now, he is not doing this to be mean, he just assumes that everyone should and would want their cars to be "Correct"

Many of these prospective members we never see again, and some really appreciate the input.

His problem is he cannot differentiate which is which, so other members must corral "Ron"

Some people want to make their car theirs', and some want to replicate factory originality .
Powerflite
Posted 2017-02-13 8:12 PM (#533969 - in reply to #533914)

Expert 5K+

There will always be the original vs. updated argument. You will never get away from it. But, as others have stated, criticism is healthy once you start dealing with a very expensive transaction. People appreciate any other input they can get because it can help you to take a step back before laying down the money without fully knowing what you are getting into. This is especially true since most of these purchases are made from long distance. In this case, the seller's feelings about the situation is much less relevant. Offer your car up for sale, and you can expect it to be gone over with a fine tooth comb to make sure that people know what they are getting into.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2017-02-13 10:52 PM (#533978 - in reply to #533969)

There is a Ron in every circle. Some are purists AND human. Others
are purists and douchebags. One has a filter and sense of others around
him. The other doesn't give a sh!t and is only there to foist his arrogant
viewpoint/s on others.

I like to think back on my old friend Merle Wolfer. His FL interests went
all the way back to when these cars were new. He knew them inside and
out, but was largely accepting of all comers and all makes and models.
He did not get all holier-than-thou on anyone.

Many of those who operated in his circle were uppity douchebags that
freely told anyone how awesome they were and how everyone else was
lucky just to be in their presence. If you did not have a letter car, you
were scum.

===========================

Personally, I like unusual cars. The ones you rarely see. Condition is
not a concern. It is the fun in seeing something weird. My own cars are
cut from the same cloth. Weird ones a person my never see another one
like them in their lifetime. Anything else is neat, but not my bag. I enjoy
that others get their jollies from them, but enjoy cars like these at a distance,
not being invested in an interest to own one. The pleasure is more in the
joy and pride they bring to others.
GregCon
Posted 2017-02-14 9:07 AM (#533997 - in reply to #533914)

Expert

It's that way with women, too. When you see one out in public you notice all her good attributes. When you take her on a date you start noticing that she ordered Surf n' Turf and has too much powdery perfume on....lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)