The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

trans kickdown linkage question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

oldhippie
Posted 2017-04-06 10:27 AM (#537488)
Subject: trans kickdown linkage question

Veteran

hey gang,

I need to connect (either buy/make) the transmission kickdown linkage on my car, and I'm trying to figure out if the firewall-mounted throttle linkage bracket is similar enough between the 1960 Dodge & 1964 Chrysler that I could use the 64 kickdown linkage as-is (with adjustment, obviously). Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts on this?

Car is a 1960 Dodge Matador, engine/trans is from a 1964 Chrysler New Yorker. Only change I had to make on install was changing the trans x-member to the 1964 version. I've attached two pictures to show what I mean. Red arrows are the brackets to which I'm referring, the blue arrows/highlighted objects are the kickdown linkages for each model.

(1960_Kickdown_Linkage.JPG)

(1964_Kickdown_Linkage.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1960_Kickdown_Linkage.JPG (53KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments 1964_Kickdown_Linkage.JPG (224KB - 141 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jboymechanic
Posted 2017-04-07 1:26 PM (#537561 - in reply to #537488)
Subject: Re: trans kickdown linkage question

Expert

I can't answer your question, but I would suggest you make your own linkage. I restored the factory linkage in my 1956 Imperial and I couldn't believe how sloppy it was, even with new factory style joints. So, I used 1/4" steel rod (same as my factory stuff) but threaded the end of each rod. I then put heim joints on the ends so you still have adjustment. The new linkage was so smooth and tight, I was really happy I spent the time to do it and it really wasn't that difficult.
oldhippie
Posted 2017-04-08 7:57 AM (#537613 - in reply to #537561)
Subject: Re: trans kickdown linkage question

Veteran

jboymechanic - 2017-04-07 1:26 PM

I can't answer your question, but I would suggest you make your own linkage. I restored the factory linkage in my 1956 Imperial and I couldn't believe how sloppy it was, even with new factory style joints. So, I used 1/4" steel rod (same as my factory stuff) but threaded the end of each rod. I then put heim joints on the ends so you still have adjustment. The new linkage was so smooth and tight, I was really happy I spent the time to do it and it really wasn't that difficult.

You know, I'd completely forgotten about those fittings, thanks! I think you're right, with those I should be able to make them quite easily.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)