The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

finally bought a hydroboost brake kit
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2018-08-26 11:09 AM (#569040)
Subject: finally bought a hydroboost brake kit

Expert

I know, I know "only mother MOPAR" but my disc brakes are not, my paint, tires, headlights, alternator, hoses, spark plugs, ect. are not original. I am not a wealthy person and old parts are becoming rarer and well used. Even if you have access to original parts, if they need rebuilding, it is usually done with new aftermarket parts. I drive my car 7000-10,000 miles a year and it would not make sense to use only orignal or NOS MOPAR parts when someone that wants to be totally correct could use them. A part is only new once.

I broke down and bought a hydroboost power brake kit for my 60 Plymouth. Probably will be a while before I get around to installing it. Overall, it looks like a simple enough installation but most of us know how that goes. The benefits are better stopping power than vacuum, will not fade or need to build vacuum if you hit brakes in a panic and need to hit them immediately after, smaller than the vacuum set up, relatively inexpensive, and availability of parts.

Because I bought all of this as a kit, I can now see it would be very easy and probably half the price or possibly less to build my own. IF I were to build my own, it looks like the only thing that I would need to make would be the mounting plate to the hydroboost[simple flat plate] and the U shaped brackets that mount it to the firewall.

My car is non-power brake. I am wondering about the hole location in the firewall? My non-power MC bolts directly to the firewall and the pedal rod is centered between the 4 holes. These provided brackets would have the hole be almost aligned between 2 of the holes. An old MC off the car and the new brackets[pictured]. I believe I've read here in the past that the P.B. rod is at an angle? The rod attached to the hyydroboost does swivel.

The hydroboost unit is new Bosch and I'm sure it can be found as a rebuilt or even new at a lot less than $450. Hoses, fittings, bolts, and MC are easy to find. I paid around $840 for everything including shipping.

Oh well, just thought I would show this to anyone that might be interested and I am looking for info on the firewall hole and a P.B. pedal rod with nut.

Later,
Karl.

(DSCN9424.JPG)

(DSCN9416.JPG)

(DSCN9420.JPG)

(DSCN9423.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN9424.JPG (240KB - 153 downloads)
Attachments DSCN9416.JPG (239KB - 152 downloads)
Attachments DSCN9420.JPG (238KB - 161 downloads)
Attachments DSCN9423.JPG (228KB - 172 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
udoittwo
Posted 2018-08-26 11:12 AM (#569042 - in reply to #569040)
Subject: RE: finally bought a hydroboost brake kit

Expert

It comes with the MC also.

(DSCN9417.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN9417.JPG (231KB - 151 downloads)
mikes2nd
Posted 2018-08-27 12:12 AM (#569075 - in reply to #569040)
Subject: Re: finally bought a hydroboost brake kit

Expert 5K+

looks good, I was looking at this option.

I will see how it works out.

I am going to work out my whole setup. I have the booster and a reserve tank. I have a 57 power booster and ill run a newer master cylinder.

Are you having serious issues? Cool that you drive the crap out of your car.
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2018-08-27 4:43 AM (#569080 - in reply to #569040)

Expert

Seems a lot of additional castiron to be mounted at the firewall.
Hope it solves your brake-issues, although I do still believe it should be able to be solved without overkill-parts.

I was under the impression that your wagon also has the 'up-and-over' brake system as used in those years.
If so, how are you going to deal with the brake pedal-construction under the dash?
Shep
Posted 2018-08-27 5:22 PM (#569115 - in reply to #569080)

Expert

That master looks like a Corvette type 4w disc brake unit, is that how your car is set up?
udoittwo
Posted 2018-09-06 12:00 PM (#569692 - in reply to #569040)
Subject: RE: finally bought a hydroboost brake kit

Expert

You are right, it is a lot of iron. Although I didn't read anything about it anywhere, I will be adding some extra metal to beef up the firewall.

As far as the M.C. goes, my car has an AAJ disc/drum set up so I really don't care what the M.C. is as long as it can handle disc/drums or better. I need a disc/drum or disc/disc M.C. and I can proportion it from there. I was told this is a disc/disc M.C. so I am good.

Again, I am hoping some one can tell me IF factory P.B.s have a different angle on the hole through the firewall?

Later,
Karl.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)