The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

64 Dodge 880 parts car
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

LostDeere59
Posted 2017-09-05 2:08 PM (#547784)
Subject: 64 Dodge 880 parts car

Extreme Veteran

I'm nosing around a fairly local 1964 Dodge 880 as a parts car for my Desoto.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/1964-dodge-880-custom-4dr-...

I've run through the interchange, and there is enough that looks to be directly interchangeable to make it interesting.

It is also a factory A/C car, and while the dash and cowl aren't identical, there is enough of a family resemblance to make me think at least some of the components might be usable, or modifyable to fit.

It also carries a 383 and an aluminum case/non e-brake torqueflite which might be a useful thing to have on hand, along with what appears to be an 8 3/4 rear with parking brake/servo brakes and slip-on drums.

Couple of questions/opinions wanted:

I have been led to believe that the 361/Iron case torqueflite I have now is somewhat hard to find parts for - in particular torque converters.

Is the driveline in the Dodge a B or RB 383? And is it new enough to be "standard" - ie serviceable with more common later parts?

How much of an orphan IS this thing? Will there be any market for the trim and various small parts on it, or is everything I can't use just trash?

And I know this is a loaded question, but what do you guys think its worth?

Thanks.

Gregg

Top of the page Bottom of the page
1960fury
Posted 2017-09-05 3:35 PM (#547786 - in reply to #547784)
Subject: Re: 64 Dodge 880 parts car

Expert 5K+

the RB 383 was Chrysler only and only domestic 1959/60 Chryslers. its a nice car. crazy to see the last remains of the 50s, like the giant wrap around rear window and slim gracefull C posts on a mid 60s car.
imo there are enough parts that interchange with your 60 desoto that makes the 800 a steal for you. windshield, drivetrain, steering/suspension, etc. just a good steering box core is around 200 these days.
that said, it would make a nice daily driver too.....

Edited by 1960fury 2017-09-05 3:41 PM
Powerflite
Posted 2017-09-05 4:15 PM (#547787 - in reply to #547786)
Subject: Re: 64 Dodge 880 parts car

Expert 5K+

I agree. Keep in mind that the trans can't be swapped by itself because of the difference in crankshaft length. You can keep your original motor with the new trans if you swap the cranks or put in a replacement crank. But swapping the whole drivetrain would be straightforward. You will need to use the new trans cable too and install the park cable under your dash. You would also need to rig up your E-brake to the new rear axle too since your new trans doesn't have an E-brake on it. This is best done with an intermediate cable to go between your original and the axle cables. As far as benefit, the only thing I see is in getting a trans that is easier to rebuild, is lighter, and has a park function. I'm not sure that is worth the work to do it, but I do like having park.

Having the 727 under your car also opens up the possibility for lowering 1st & 2nd gear ratios for use with highway gears in the rear. This will give you more stoplight performance with high gears out back. Also, if you swap most of the internals to the later front pump setup, you can run it with a gear vender overdrive and still retain the cable shift.

As far as parting out the rest of the car, there isn't a big market for C-body parts. Too many people part them out for their drivetrains that makes parts plentiful and cheap. But you should definitely try to sell what you can on Ebay & ForCBodiesOnly.com.
LostDeere59
Posted 2017-09-06 1:34 PM (#547846 - in reply to #547784)
Subject: RE: 64 Dodge 880 parts car

Extreme Veteran

Thanks guys - that's just the kind of information I was looking for.

Gregg
Space Trukin Wagon
Posted 2017-09-07 10:37 PM (#547949 - in reply to #547846)

Extreme Veteran

What year Desoto are you planning to use the parts on?

The main dashframe including glovebox on the 880 is the same and will interchange with 1960-61 Dodge & Desoto models - Except for the actual bezel that holds the gauge cluster and other controls.
Once that housing is removed the earlier 1960-61 Dodge and Desoto gauge cluster housing bolts right on.
All of the switch mounting holes are in the same location, as well as the rear view mirror, maplight and any of the optional finish plates or chrome moldings

There are other small differences b/w the the Dodge 880 dash, such as square A/C vents instead of round and how the speaker grille is mounted (screws -vs-clips)

Mopar was very clever on how the same parts were used on the interior for many model years by just redesigning a few parts and changing out some trim
LostDeere59
Posted 2017-09-08 9:55 AM (#547971 - in reply to #547949)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks STW - I intend to use it as a donor for my 1960 Fireflite. It looked to me as if the glove box door and surround trim was the same, but your clarification makes sense, AND makes it seem likely that by blending the dash components I can use the 880 as a donor for the interior portions of the A/C. Also it seems that it is a 'transitional" car in many other ways - brakes, driveline, etc - which might allow me to work some useful updates to my car in the long term.

When I went and looked at the car it was pouring rain (of course) so I didn't really get the chance to be as thorough as I wanted with my inspection. I was also disappointed to find that it does not have the front stabilizer bar which is one of my primary wants right now. Because of that I didn't close the deal that day, but after some consideration I'm reaching out to the owner today.

Gregg
LostDeere59
Posted 2017-09-08 12:24 PM (#547978 - in reply to #547971)

Extreme Veteran

Just made a deal on the car, should be getting delivered to my house tomorrow.

Once I get a chance to give it a good once over (after I cut the lawn, do my chores, and figure out how to hide it) I'll post some information in the parting cars section.

Thanks again for the input guys

Gregg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)