The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buzzing behind speedometer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

ViperMan
Posted 2017-10-23 8:56 AM (#550846)
Subject: Buzzing behind speedometer

Regular

I started this thread on the Dodge Coronet Registry but haven't gotten any responses yet...

So I did a little research on this already, but literally the day after I bought my '56 Coronet a few weeks ago, I was on my maiden "hometown" voyage when the speedometer started to buzz. It had chattered just a tad on my test-drive before buying it, and the seller mentioned that it had just started doing that.

Well, I took it out last weekened for an actual cruise, and oh my GOD it was screaming at me by the time I got it home.

Following some threads I dug up through other websites, I managed to reach behind the dash and unscrew the speedo cable, and went out for a quick lap around the block. No buzzing. So that means the problem is the speedo itself.

What I'm NOT sure is repairs based specifically on this car. I've read that some cars need a drop of 3-in-1 oil, some need a graphite-based dry lubricant, and some simply need rebuilt. In the case of the latter, does anyone have any recommended vendors that can restore these gauges?

Last question: any tips on removing the speedometer itself without tearing out the entire dash? I can see the back of the unit from under the dash, but I haven't reached up there besides unscrewing the speedo. (When I do, I'm going to disconnect the battery first just to make sure there isn't any wiring up there that might have cracked/worn insulation and short out...)

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2017-10-23 10:54 AM (#550852 - in reply to #550846)
Subject: RE: Buzzing behind speedometer

Expert 5K+

There are three light bulbs in the back of the speedometer, i.e. panel lighting (upper middle), signal light (left side) and high beam (right side). The lamp holders basically just pull out. Label them so you can put them back in properly.

There are three tabs on the speedometer. There are three studs on the dash. So with the cable off and the lamp holders out, you just need to remove the three nuts and lock washers and wiggle the speedometer out. If you don't own a mini 1/4" drive imperial socket set, now is the time to buy one. Very handy for interior work.

Photos below from an eBay auction for a 55 Dodge speedo (black face, not green).

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-10-23 10:57 AM

(55-56InstrumentPanelDiagramWithCallOuts.jpg)

(55DodgeSpeedometerFront.JPG)

(55DodgeSpeedometerRear.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 55-56InstrumentPanelDiagramWithCallOuts.jpg (210KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments 55DodgeSpeedometerFront.JPG (285KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments 55DodgeSpeedometerRear.JPG (226KB - 139 downloads)
ViperMan
Posted 2017-10-23 12:05 PM (#550859 - in reply to #550846)
Subject: Re: Buzzing behind speedometer

Regular

Luckily, I used to be a mechanic at both a modern (Ford) dealership and an old restoration shop - so I have both metric and imperial tools of all shapes and sizes.

I also own a Dodge Viper, and those things are fantastically amusing in their inclusion of both metric AND imperial-sized hardware.

Excellent - I'll dig into this later this week. OH - I see in that last picture the small screw protruding from the center of the speedo at a 7:30 angle - just next to the 'D' in 'Dodge" written on there... is that what I think it is? Perhaps a calibration screw?

For the brief time that my speedo DID work, it was reading WAY faster than I was going. I suspect that the previous owner installed smaller-than-original wheels/tires (that'll be my next topic to research) and as such the speedo is of course off. I was wondering how to fix that, if even possible.

Lastly, one other thing to mention - when the speedo started buzzing, it would either read SUPER fast (like, 100+mph) while swaying all over the place (20-100-20-100-20-etc) and then eventually just stopped reading altogether. This was before I disconnected it. Is it possible that something else is wrong or is it still just likely a lubrication issue?

Thanks again!!!
JimK
Posted 2017-10-24 5:39 AM (#550919 - in reply to #550846)

Veteran

I think the 7:30 screw is the oiling wick. Light oil (not WD40) and wait.

More oil is not better.

It takes time to get to the right parts. Maybe the oil works, maybe too much damage and it needs a rebuild.

Jim K
wizard
Posted 2017-10-24 6:24 AM (#550920 - in reply to #550846)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Yes, that's the oiling wick - most of them are hardened by age and old dried oil - remove it and try to turn the wick around and apply some sewing machine oil onto the wick.
Jumping needle and/or temporary too high readings indicates worn bearings and/or shaft.
ViperMan
Posted 2017-10-24 8:09 AM (#550923 - in reply to #550920)

Regular

wizard - 2017-10-24 6:24 AM

Yes, that's the oiling wick - most of them are hardened by age and old dried oil - remove it and try to turn the wick around and apply some sewing machine oil onto the wick.
Jumping needle and/or temporary too high readings indicates worn bearings and/or shaft.

Got it. Thanks.
LostDeere59
Posted 2017-10-24 10:50 AM (#550934 - in reply to #550846)

Extreme Veteran

I'll also mention since no one else did that while you have the cable disconnected you should lube and possibly clean the cable.

Generally the cable will pull out of the cable housing from the top. In severe cases I used to disconnect at the trans and flush the cable housing with solvent (carb or brake cleaner in an aerosol can). Then wipe the cable clean, and as you feed it back in lightly grease it with wheel bearing grease - just a thin coating is enough.

A cable that is sticking will be noisy, and this noise is amplified when connected to the speedometer (think guitar case), so just because the noise went away when you disconnected the speedo doesn't guarantee the cable isn't the noise, or at least also part of the noise.

I've also seen cables that would bind, so the cable will actually wind up (making the speedometer read low) then suddenly unwind (making the speedo read high) creating needle bounce.

Gregg
56D500boy
Posted 2017-10-24 11:07 AM (#550940 - in reply to #550934)

Expert 5K+

LostDeere59 - 2017-10-24 10:50 AM
I've also seen cables that would bind, so the cable will actually wind up (making the speedometer read low) then suddenly unwind (making the speedo read high) creating needle bounce.
Gregg

This sounds like it would be the cause of the issues in this case.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)