The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

55 Dodge Lancer Brake Hubs for Disk brake conversion
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

MyMGs
Posted 2017-12-22 3:33 PM (#554883)
Subject: 55 Dodge Lancer Brake Hubs for Disk brake conversion

Seasons Greetings folks.
I am doing a four wheel disk brake conversion on a 1955 Dodge Lancer. I have got the kit from AAJBrakes. I have done all of the fun stuff like removing the drums drilling the hubs Pressing in new studs cutting out the rear seal flange.
Now after the cleaning and prep, I started to assemble the hubs with new bearings Calipers, rotors and all.

All seemed to be going well until i checked the brake pad to rotor for the proper fit and i noticed some run out. I removed the rotor, caliper and put a dial indicator on the hub and found that i had .005 thousands Runout which translates to .035 at the end of my 12 inch disk. WOW!!! similar on the other side.
If you have done this job then you know how much fun getting the rear drums/Hubs off of the tapered axles. I don't want to reinstall the rear hubs only to find that i have a similar result.

Now comes the question!!!! Does anybody know of someone that can true up my hubs?? This is the first one that i have attempted and i could use some help on this one so if anyone knows of a place to get this done I would really appreciate a heads up.
It would seem that other people has experienced the same problem. I am new to this forum so PLEASE HELP !!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57chizler
Posted 2017-12-22 4:43 PM (#554886 - in reply to #554883)
Subject: RE: 55 Dodge Lancer Brake Hubs for Disk brake conversion

Expert

Welcome to the board.

I'm going to guess that your method of removing the swaged studs warped the hub. Truing the hub is a fairly easy lathe job using the axle shaft as an arbor to mount the hub. Any local machine shop should be able to do it.
MyMGs
Posted 2017-12-23 4:46 PM (#554939 - in reply to #554883)
Subject: Re: 55 Dodge Lancer Brake Hubs for Disk brake conversion

Thank you,
I was thinking of the same thing for the rear and i am checking into it. What about the front ? i suppose that one could cut the spindle at the base of the bearing seal area but how to lock it so you can true the hub? I suppose make a puck that would secure the hub might be the answer.
Thank you for the reply.

David
57chizler
Posted 2017-12-24 2:16 PM (#554975 - in reply to #554939)
Subject: Re: 55 Dodge Lancer Brake Hubs for Disk brake conversion

Expert

For the front hub, I would mount it in the lathe using bull-nose centers and drive it with a clamp dog in a face plate.

(Dog.jpg)

(Clamp Dog.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dog.jpg (7KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments Clamp Dog.jpg (7KB - 151 downloads)
MyMGs
Posted 2017-12-25 12:12 PM (#555015 - in reply to #554883)
Subject: RE: 55 Dodge Lancer Brake Hubs for Disk brake conversion

Wow that is a great idea. I can't wait to ge to my friends race shop and try it out.
Thank you very much for your thought and imput. It is much appreciated. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

David
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)