The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

'55 Poweflite Transmission Fluid Level
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Adamopar
Posted 2018-05-14 8:39 PM (#563398)
Subject: '55 Poweflite Transmission Fluid Level

Hello,

I was recently topping up the transmission fluid for my '55 Savoy, following the owners manual which states to add a total of approximately 8.24 quarts of fluid; however, after adding all the fluid, I checked the dipstick and it was well above the full line on a hot or cold test. I guess my question is, have I overfilled the transmission? or does it not matter that the fluid has passed the Full line as long as there is the right amount of fluid? I don't want to damage my transmission with over or under filling the tranny.

Also, I am quite new to the mechanics of transmission, however, the upshift seems to be delayed and most of the time comes with a big jerk, obviously that isn't normal. I'm not really sure if the throttle linkage has to be adjusted or it's something else. On top of all that, the shifting is loud especially noticeable when shifting into reverse when the car is stationary. My next step is to take it to transmission shop that services classic cars, but I was wondering if anyone might know some other possible causes.

Thanks!
Adam
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ronbo97
Posted 2018-05-14 9:54 PM (#563405 - in reply to #563398)
Subject: RE: '55 Poweflite Transmission Fluid Level

Expert

If the reading is above the full line, then, yes, you've over filled the tranny. Open the drain plug and let some of the fluid out. When adding fluid, you likely didn't take into account that the torque converter already had fluid in it.

The problem with the car lurching into gear is likely due to the idle speed set too high on fast and curb idle. Your fast idle should be around 900 and curb idle around 700. I had the same issue with my 55 Desoto. Once I dialed in the idle speeds, the problem went away.

Ron

Adamopar
Posted 2018-05-14 11:41 PM (#563412 - in reply to #563398)

Thanks Ron, I'll look into that.

Adam

Edited by Adamopar 2018-05-14 11:42 PM
57chizler
Posted 2018-05-16 3:14 PM (#563525 - in reply to #563398)

Expert

Adamopar - 2018-05-14 5:39 PM

the upshift seems to be delayed and most of the time comes with a big jerk, obviously that isn't normal. I'm not really sure if the throttle linkage has to be adjusted or it's something else.

The linkage that runs to the transmission lever controls the road speed at which the upshift occurs and, to some extent, the firmness of the shift. Shortening the linkage will make the shifts sooner and softer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)