The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dome/Map light issue
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

57Fireflite
Posted 2021-06-03 12:45 AM (#612411)
Subject: Dome/Map light issue

Regular

Hello Fellow FLers,

So, thought I could fix my dome/map light issues: 1. would not turn off unless the switch was in a "sweet spot" and 2. would not come on when the doors were opened. The switch was sticky, requiring effort to move. I suspected years of gunk build-up as the culprit.

So, removed the wires from the light/switch assembly, cleaned off the bulb contact points and snipped all the wires to get fresh copper and tinned the ends; took the switch apart and lovingly wire wheeled all metal contact points until shiny new. Reassembled with a thin coat of dialectric grease and the switch now operates ultra smooth. Reconnected wires as found. Did not touch light housing on passenger side.

Also removed and cleaned both door switches (they were sticking) and their connecting wires; lubed them with silicone spray, checked they were grounding when open, and verified continuity between the two door switches.

The result? I seem to have traded one issue for the other: Now lights come on when the door is opened (red dot/switch all the way down) but lights will not stay on in any switch position -- I think the red dot on the switch indicates lights grounded by door switch; middle is off; and white dot (switch all the way up) ought to turn the lights on permanently. Am I correct?

Not sure what to do next. Is my switch shot? What does the yellow wire in my drawing do? Are there any potential rookie moves I might have made; or anything else I should try?

Adding to my confusion is that the wiring diagrams I have don't match what's in the car. See attachments.

Thanks for reading -- I had searched the Forum and found some really helpful threads but not specific to this issue.

~Jimbo

(57 Desoto Wiring Dome Light_Manual.jpg)

(57 Desoto Wiring Dome Light.jpg)

(57 Desoto Wiring Map Light_Manual.jpg)

(57 Desoto Wiring Map Light.jpg)

(Switch_Diagram.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57 Desoto Wiring Dome Light_Manual.jpg (145KB - 154 downloads)
Attachments 57 Desoto Wiring Dome Light.jpg (138KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments 57 Desoto Wiring Map Light_Manual.jpg (131KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments 57 Desoto Wiring Map Light.jpg (116KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments Switch_Diagram.jpg (133KB - 160 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
58coupe
Posted 2021-06-03 11:37 AM (#612422 - in reply to #612411)
Subject: Re: Dome/Map light issue

Expert

The circuit is wired with the power continuously to the switch and bulb. The yellow wire to the door switches provide a ground to turn on the lights, the switch also works this way to ground the circuit so the light is on. When i troubleshoot, I look at the last thing that was changed or cleaned, adjusted, in your case the switch may be bad or assembled incorrectly.
57Fireflite
Posted 2021-06-20 1:47 AM (#612921 - in reply to #612422)
Subject: Re: Dome/Map light issue

Regular

Thanks, 58Coupe!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)