The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 dodge custom royal steering column removal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

hondaman1974
Posted 2018-06-04 2:48 PM (#564532)
Subject: 1955 dodge custom royal steering column removal

Veteran

hello guys, was working on my 55 dodge yesterday, was going to pull the dash to rebuild the wiring harness. in order to remove the steering column (checked factory manual) you have to remove the gearbox with the column as a whole (manual p.s.). is this correct? may have to work around that if so. thanks in advance!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gasmanscotty
Posted 2018-06-04 11:27 PM (#564564 - in reply to #564532)
Subject: RE: 1955 dodge custom royal steering column removal

Regular

Yes that is correct.It really isn’t that big of a deal,Drop th pitman arm off bottom of the box,three bolts on the frame you will need to remove the carpet to get at the floor board to remove the access plate,bolts on the bottom of the dash and unplug the turn signal/horn wires (be sure to mark them) . I removed my steering wheel and raised the car so I could drop it out the bottom,and that may be the only way to get it out without removing the exhaust not sure.
Burnemup
Posted 2018-06-05 9:20 AM (#564589 - in reply to #564532)
Subject: Re: 1955 dodge custom royal steering column removal

Veteran

Hello, I have had my column out of my 55 Dodge CRL due to having it rebuilt 3 times in 27yrs. Twice to rebuild and once to replace seals due to using a too high pressure after market pump. However if your column and pump are in good working order you can undo the two large clamps on the column and remove the top half of the column(Hard to get too! very stuburn to remove). Becarefull when removing the turn signal switch and wires. Once the top half of the column is off you will see the piviot point flex joint, it should flop out of the way, that should allow you to remove the dash with out pulling the entire steering column. Review the photos and diagrams in the Parts book and service manuals too! before you start.

Good luck!

Ernie Baily
hondaman1974
Posted 2018-06-07 9:51 AM (#564711 - in reply to #564532)

Veteran

thanks guys for the info. im lucky because the engine and trans are out of the car. ernie, you say the top half of the column? im assuming its the part that's inside the car? doesn't look like the tube splits just one piece. from the pictures from service and parts manual it looks like one piece. my thought is, removing the s.w. and t.s. switch undo the clamp at gear box and dash and sliding the tube up? im going to working on it this weekend ill let you know how it turns out thanks!!!!
Burnemup
Posted 2018-06-08 10:45 AM (#564803 - in reply to #564532)

Veteran

Yes, the top half of the column is inside the car and diffilcult to deal with. My car had a automatic(Powerflite), so if you have the engine and trans out it might be simpler to remove the whole column then. The manual power steering colunm must be different than the automatic power steering column. Post some pictures if you can.

Ernie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)