The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lead filler substitute
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

plymouth
Posted 2018-08-12 10:45 AM (#568298)
Subject: Lead filler substitute

Expert

On my Imperial, I have found out that the factory used lead to fill seams and 55 years later, I am starting to see the lead bubble up in one area.When the time comes for body and paint, what substitute should I use in the place of lead? Also thinking about using por-15 in rust prone areas. The floors have already been coated with it. I'm just curious if there will be any ill effects once I remove all of the old lead and if I coat the joint with por-15 and then put some sort of filler over that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ttotired
Posted 2018-08-12 5:52 PM (#568317 - in reply to #568298)
Subject: Re: Lead filler substitute

Expert 5K+

I just use body filler

All lead was was body filler of the day, you could re lay the lead, but painting the seam and then filling it is a much better rust preventative

On seams that would move a little, the factory never put anything on them, so don't be tempted, it will crack

mikes2nd
Posted 2018-08-12 11:12 PM (#568330 - in reply to #568298)
Subject: Re: Lead filler substitute

Expert 5K+

modern body filler is so good nowdays, its night and day… as long as the lead isn't crumbling your okay. If it is,i would hit it with a torch and remove or reflow it.

I usually remove it. They say use the "metal" body filler but that's hokum... just another gimmick to sell you.

Im in love with this bondo now

Roberlo... stuff is phenominal...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L2PX7D8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?s...

Maxifill is for larger stuff, holds up good but still can be final feathered, maxi light is the finishing.... they are out of maxi light for now, i only paid 31$ a gallon shipped on amazon.

you probably should just get the maxifill.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)