The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 Imperial - mud flap? bumper trim?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

imperial2100
Posted 2018-10-11 10:05 PM (#571545)
Subject: 57 Imperial - mud flap? bumper trim?

Veteran

I'm in the process of doing a rear bumper swap with a newly chromed one, and I'd like to see if I could find new rubber for the rear mud flap looking skirt thing.

There's a long, ribbed, chrome piece that extends the length of it and the rubber that it's attached to is old and brittle.

What is this trim piece called?

Does anyone know if there's someone rebuilding these out there?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KcImperial
Posted 2018-10-12 1:53 AM (#571553 - in reply to #571545)
Subject: Re: 57 Imperial - mud flap? bumper trim?

Expert

I call them "rear mud flap" or "bumper mud flap", don't know the actual factory name.
It's almost impossible to find a decent original (I'm a buyer if anyone has a decent one for sale)
The black rubber piece is the main component. They all get brittle and easily get torn.
The chrome trim attaches solely to the rubber part so it's usually the first casualty.

I'm not aware of any sources at all that rebuilds these or offers anything as a direct replacement.
You may be able to find a newer substitute material for the rubber part.
The trick is finding something thick enough to be durable yet can still be molded to the 90 degree bend needed to mount it.
Oh, and also long enough to make it out of one continuous piece.

hemidenis
Posted 2018-10-12 6:44 PM (#571582 - in reply to #571545)

Expert

the technical name is "shield" and it is a hard to find part, they sell rubber math by the foot, so replace it should be not that hard, the trim is a different story.
My car had many things missing and others worn out beyond believe. But this piece was there...
imperial2100
Posted 2018-10-12 8:38 PM (#571585 - in reply to #571582)

Veteran

Mine is there, it's just not the nicest looking chrome. And the rubber needs replacing. And the steel bar is a bit mangled and rusted.

Guess I'll use some Krud Kutter on the steel and see about getting some new rubber. As for the chrome piece, I might give the spray on chrome a try with this part, since it is down close to the ground and no one will see it in great detail. Anyone had any experience with the spray on chrome?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)