The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

55-56 Dodge Rear Window Installation issues
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2019-03-17 8:09 PM (#579478)
Subject: 55-56 Dodge Rear Window Installation issues

Expert 5K+

As of today, I am finally in contact with a local owner of a Canadian-built 56 Dodge Custom Royal that I have only ever seen photos of, including trophies that the car has won. Apparently the car has been down and out lately because the owner had a rear window leak that required that the rear glass be removed to access and repair the rusted metal lip. The owner had that work done but when they took the car back to the glass shop to have the rear window re-installed the glass shop claimed that the window didn't fit/gasket was wrong/blah blah (they seemed to be afraid to break the glass). Since then the owner has bought a new rear window gasket from Steele Rubber but has been reluctant to move forward in case the selected shop breaks the rear glass.

So, a few questions:

1. Based on the listings below, I am surprised that the rear window from a sedan (2 or 4 dr) seem to be different than a Lancer (2 or 4 dr). I know where a 4 dr Lancer is and thought that it could serve as a rear window source if the installer did break the rear window.

2. Any hints for installation? I will send the owner the installation instructions from the 56 Dodge FSM but if there are other hints, please chime in.

3. For those in my area (you know who you are), are there any recommended/experienced glass people that you can recommend to me (and the other owner)? The owner doesn't want to deal with somebody who is confused by a rubber window gasket and only has experience with bonded windshields.

(55-56DodgeRearWindowPartNumbers.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 55-56DodgeRearWindowPartNumbers.jpg (175KB - 179 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GaryS
Posted 2019-03-17 8:41 PM (#579481 - in reply to #579478)
Subject: Re: 55-56 Dodge Rear Window Installation issues

Expert

I went through that issue with my '56 Plymouth 2-door hardtop. I used the original rear glass with a new Steele seal. After I quit in frustration, I hired an expert installer with decades of experience with old and classic cars. He got the window installed but had to shim the bottom of the glass to center it in the seal.

When it came time to install the stainless trim, I again struggled for days until I was totally frustrated. I tried to get the expert back for that job, but he wouldn't even return my calls! I finally designed and built a jig to help hold the trim in position while I maneuvered the parts to lock. I worked on it off and on for weeks before I finally got the trim in place. It still doesn't look perfect, but at least the glass is in and the trim is installed.

I don't have any suggestions, but you have my sympathy!

Here's a link that describes my trials and tribulations. It begins with the 4-29-entry.

https://56plymouth.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2017-05-28T20:56:...

Edited by GaryS 2019-03-17 8:51 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)