The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Towards swapping a speedometer pinion gear in an A-466 cast-iron TorqueFlite
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2023-08-10 2:27 AM (#631248)
Subject: Towards swapping a speedometer pinion gear in an A-466 cast-iron TorqueFlite

Expert 5K+

Based on a previous thread that I started in 2020, I have been struggling to figure out what speedometer pinion gear I need to get more accurate speed indication in my 1956 Dodge with a 1957 cast-iron A-466 TorqueFlite that I had swapped into the Dodge.

This thread:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=73495&...

I wasn't sure which speedometer gear that the Torqueflite had, but I knew that I need one with more teeth to slow down the speedometer reading.

So the first task, documented below was to remove the Torqueflite speedometer drive pinion gear. Based the knowledge that I gained by removing a Powerflite Speedometer Pinion Gear, I removed and examined the Torqueflite speedometer pinion gear today.

Turns out that my Torqueflite currently has an 18 tooth pinion gear as part of a one piece gear (quite different than the Powerflite speedometer pinion gear that I removed a few days ago).

There aren't many, if any, options for new speedometer pinion gears available. I contacted Fatsco and all they have is a 20 tooth gear that will reduce my indicated speed by 10% (i.e. 18/20 = 0.9). Hopefully that will be enough (or at least close). I ordered one today.

At this point, I do NOT KNOW how to release the one piece plastic pinion gear from the housing. More to follow.

REFERENCE (the Powerflite pinion gear removal):
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=78777&...

Today's photos:

Edited by 56D500boy 2023-08-10 9:32 AM

(56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoCableAttached.jpg)

(56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoCableRemoved.jpg)

(56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_Showing27mm6pointSocketBeingUsedToLoosePinionGearHousing.jpg)

(56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoPinionGearAndHousingBeingExtractedFromTorqueflite.jpg)

(56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoPinionGearExtractedFromTransWith27mm6pointSocket.jpg)

(56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoPinionGearWith18TeethDesignation.jpg)

(56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoPinionGearWithPlasticRetainerRing.jpg)

(59MoparPinionGearPNsWithRearAxleRatiosAndTireSizes.jpg)

(1636409_20th_OnePiecePlasticCastIronTorqueFliteSpeedometerPinionGear.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoCableAttached.jpg (144KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoCableRemoved.jpg (149KB - 45 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_Showing27mm6pointSocketBeingUsedToLoosePinionGearHousing.jpg (148KB - 51 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoPinionGearAndHousingBeingExtractedFromTorqueflite.jpg (149KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoPinionGearExtractedFromTransWith27mm6pointSocket.jpg (149KB - 46 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoPinionGearWith18TeethDesignation.jpg (143KB - 47 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeWithSwappedIn57WindsorTorqueFlite_ShowingSpeedoPinionGearWithPlasticRetainerRing.jpg (149KB - 45 downloads)
Attachments 59MoparPinionGearPNsWithRearAxleRatiosAndTireSizes.jpg (148KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments 1636409_20th_OnePiecePlasticCastIronTorqueFliteSpeedometerPinionGear.jpg (145KB - 47 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2023-08-24 6:27 PM (#631538 - in reply to #631248)
Subject: RE: Towards swapping a speedometer pinion gear in an A-466 cast-iron TorqueFlite

Expert 5K+

Changed the gear from the 18 tooth to the new Danco 20 tooth from Fatsco. Went waaaayy easier than anticipated.

Removed the speedo gear cable from the speedo gear housing on the transmission (I had tightened the cable with water pump pliers so I needed them to loosen the cable).

Removed the housing from the A-466 tailshaft with a 27 mm 6 point socket as before.

Took the housing with the 18 tooth gear into the house and downstairs to my "Shop" (what a mess).

Opened up the jaws of the bench vise so the outer end of the housing just cleared the jaws while two tips of the 6 point housing flange rested on the vice jaws.

Found a stove bolt in the "Bolts And Screws" box that was bigger than the tip of the speedo pinion gear and used it to tap on the exposed small end of the pinion gear. Sprayed the tip with WD40 and
tapped a bit more and the gear slipped through the retainer.

The retainer seems to nylon plastic and it has a wider flange that sits up against the metal of the housing. I don't think that it seals anything. Not that it supposed to. I am sure the design requires that some ATF leak into the cable housing to lubricate the cable.

After I took some photos, I loaded the new 20 tooth gear into the housing and found a small 1/4" drive socket that just fit over the small tip of the gear. Then I placed the gear and housing onto the anvil end of the bench vise, added the retainer and used a hammer to tap on the socket over the gear end and retainer. A bit more WD40 and another tap or two and the retainer was fully over the new 20 tooth gear.

Then I coated the gear end of the new 20 tooth with some ATF and then re-installed the housing (with the new gear) and speedo cable.

I will take the car for a drive tonight (or tomorrow) to see if I can notice the difference.

Edited by 56D500boy 2023-08-24 6:44 PM

(A-466CastIronTFSpeedometerPinionGearHousing18ToothGearRetainerWasherAnd20ToothGear.jpg)

(A-466CastIronTFSpeedometerPinionGearHousing18ToothGearRetainerWasherAnd20ToothGear_RetainerDetail.jpg)

(A-466CastIronTFSpeedometerPinionGearHousing_RetainerSittingInHousing_NoGear.jpg)

(A-466CastIronTFSpeedometerPinionGearHousing_20ToothGearInstalledWithRetainerInPlace.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments A-466CastIronTFSpeedometerPinionGearHousing18ToothGearRetainerWasherAnd20ToothGear.jpg (143KB - 47 downloads)
Attachments A-466CastIronTFSpeedometerPinionGearHousing18ToothGearRetainerWasherAnd20ToothGear_RetainerDetail.jpg (144KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments A-466CastIronTFSpeedometerPinionGearHousing_RetainerSittingInHousing_NoGear.jpg (141KB - 46 downloads)
Attachments A-466CastIronTFSpeedometerPinionGearHousing_20ToothGearInstalledWithRetainerInPlace.jpg (144KB - 52 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)