The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

61 Fury 4 DR HT both front doors are difficult to open from outside but smooth from inside
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

aaronsinthegarage
Posted 2019-09-06 10:02 AM (#587150)
Subject: 61 Fury 4 DR HT both front doors are difficult to open from outside but smooth from inside

Regular

So, I've got a question on my front doors. I have to pull up and out with above average force to open both drivers and passengers front doors from the outside but both doors open easily from the inside, like a hot knife through butter. I've tried adjusting the strike plate with no real success. I've taken off the interior door trim panel on the drivers side to peak around inside and I don't really see anything out of the ordinary that could be causing this. Is there an adjustment screw that I should be looking for? It's almost as if when I try to open from the outside that the handle is not fully opening the door and the lift up and out method is what finally releases it. Make sense? I'm afraid that one day I go to lift up and out and the door will no longer open. Iv'e taken to leaving the window down enough so that I just reach in and open it from the inside but this is not ideal. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
51coronet
Posted 2019-09-06 1:42 PM (#587161 - in reply to #587150)
Subject: Re: 61 Fury 4 DR HT both front doors are difficult to open from outside but smooth from inside

Extreme Veteran

From an imperial perspective so I apologize if its not the same. So imperials (57 58) have a way to adjust how much outside pull is needed based on a slotted section that is secured with a 3/8 outside diameter nut. I think its 2 of them that secure to the rod that pulls on the open mechanism. So I would look inside with the door skins off and see if there is an adjustment that can be made via the exterior door handle and the innards of the door mechanism. You may even need to drill a new hole for the door handle mechanism to mount in a better place to actuate the release. Again Imperials I have yet to disassemble the other makes but would guess there are similarities.
aaronsinthegarage
Posted 2019-09-06 5:05 PM (#587176 - in reply to #587161)
Subject: Re: 61 Fury 4 DR HT both front doors are difficult to open from outside but smooth from inside

Regular

it makes sense that there should be a way to adjust that mechanism but I was unable to locate as such. I do have a nut on the door itself that my shop manual says is for adjustments but it wasn't clear to me what exactly it adjusts. I will take the interior trim off again and pay closer attention to the mechanisms and post back. Thanks for the reply.
Paul Hettick
Posted 2019-09-08 3:12 PM (#587265 - in reply to #587150)

Elite Veteran

I believe access it through the inner door structure. Just above the door latch roller
aaronsinthegarage
Posted 2019-09-15 12:59 PM (#587545 - in reply to #587265)

Regular

opened up the door yesterday and saw how the mechanism worked and I saw why it was harder to open up from the outside. Turns out there is a bolt on the door itself next to the door cog mechanism that if you loosen it you can slide that adjuster bolt up or down to adjust the door mechanism. Raised it up and retightened it and smooth as can be.

door adjustment bolt.JPG

(door adjustment bolt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments door adjustment bolt.jpg (25KB - 98 downloads)
aaronsinthegarage
Posted 2019-09-15 5:50 PM (#587557 - in reply to #587161)

Regular

so, I posted earlier that I was able to make an adjustment via the adjusting screw on the door face by the cog mechanism but it was short lived. Something must've happened as I can no longer open the door from outside. Looks as if a spring must've popped but I can't tell for sure since the window guide that runs in front of it blocks my view. Looks like I'm going to have to take out that window track to gain access to do the lock mechanism and will then most likely need to remove it to fix it or if a lever of some sort is broken then purchase another door lock mechanism. Ugh.
aaronsinthegarage
Posted 2019-09-18 2:55 AM (#587690 - in reply to #587265)

Regular

it appears that I need to remove the door mechanism to repair it and I'm wondering how easy is it to remove the window channel that is in the way. Is it as simple as removing the 2 bolts that hold it in place and sliding the channel down and out of the way? I'm setting aside a full day to remove, repair and replace. thank you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)