The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Window Channel Install
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

ColoradoFiredome
Posted 2019-12-12 6:05 PM (#591509)
Subject: Window Channel Install

Veteran

Awhile ago, maybe a long while ago, I saw a thread about installing Window Channel (Cat Whiskers) in a 4 door sedan. The guy made a template from a piece of plywood & used glue clamps to bend the channel. 1 template for front & another for rear glass.

I can;t find it now, maybe someone had a link to the 300 club?

Any help would be appreciated.

Later

Bob Tittle

Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2019-12-12 6:20 PM (#591513 - in reply to #591509)
Subject: RE: Window Channel Install

Expert 5K+

ColoradoFiredome - 2019-12-12 3:05 PM

Awhile ago, maybe a long while ago, I saw a thread about installing Window Channel (Cat Whiskers) in a 4 door sedan. The guy made a template from a piece of plywood & used glue clamps to bend the channel. 1 template for front & another for rear glass.

I think that was probably me. That is what I did for my 56 Dodge 4 dr sedan's window channels (three of them, the very first one I did by bending it over the glass - not as good as the wooden form). I think for the last window I did, I remade the bending form so it was thicker. Using just 3/4" thick wood allowed the window channels to wonder off the template/form. For the last one I used some scrap 2 x 3" wood and the thickness helped to control the channel.

This thread:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=69411&...

I *think* cat's whiskers is something else (at bottom of the window at the door, inside and out):

This thread:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=65605&...

Window channel:

Cat's whiskers:

Edited by 56D500boy 2019-12-12 8:06 PM
ColoradoFiredome
Posted 2020-01-15 4:39 PM (#592989 - in reply to #591509)
Subject: Re: Window Channel Install

Veteran

Dave --
Yes it was. I found your post a couple of days after I dropped this post. Thanks for returning to the original post with follow ups. I will be starting with the Driver Side Rear door so your examples are just what I was looking for. I was stunned that the Window Channel was $53 for a 8 ft stick. I'm hoping to get both back doors from the 1 stick. Fingers Crossed.
I'll return to your post to study the details of your Template. If it's OK, I'd like to PM you when I start the cutting the Template. Your follow up on the revising of the measurements to allow the SS Bead to show around the corner.
If I understand what you said in the post, you traced the outline of the glass. After the Template was cut out you put it back into the place then traced the outline of the opening. That line became the target for the bending of the Channel.
Thanks for you original post & the follow up.
56D500boy
Posted 2020-01-15 6:07 PM (#592999 - in reply to #592989)
Subject: Re: Window Channel Install

Expert 5K+

In reviewing what I did, I think what I would do now is to use a piece of cardboard to roughly the shape of the top of the glass from that door. I would then tuck/hold the cardboard into the space that will be occupied by the window channel. Then I would trace the door opening onto the cardboard. After cutting the cardboard to that door/window opening shape, I would trace the trimmed cardboard shape onto the piece of 2 x 3 lumber that will be the bending form. I would cut the 2 x 3 to that mark and then hold the cut 2 x 3 into the door and mark the opening on the 2 x 3 as a second check. I would then use a belt sander (some kind of sander) to do a final trim on the bending form.
Then I would set up to do the bend using the form and what ever clamps / helpers hand you need to complete the bend.

I found that one 8 ft stick of bendable channel (with stainless steel trim) was good for 2 doors (4 ft per door). For the very last door, after screwing up the bend (and my last 4 ft piece) (because I was using the 3/4" bending form from the other side door), I found a "scrap" piece of channel at the store that I had bought the other sticks at. It was a compromised piece and it was slightly shorter than 4 ft (say 46 inches). It worked fine. You don't really need all that extra on the vertical part that is deep inside the door. They "gave" it to me for $20 so I was happy with that.

The other thing that I noticed with this final door using the "scrap" piece of channel was that it was not as deep as the other ones that I had used. It fit in the door better. I can't measure the last (best) piece depth because the car is not here but I did just measure the total thickness of the ones that used for the other 3 doors: 0.60 inches including the stainless steel channel. I also measured the vertical (unbendable) channel that I used and it was 0.40 inches.

Good luck. Check your PM.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)