The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

exhaust balance pipe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

ram300
Posted 2020-07-13 4:33 PM (#600815)
Subject: exhaust balance pipe

Extreme Veteran

Just curious to know if many of you guys out there are running balance pipes, especially the ones with early hemis. I've gone to a 2 1/2 inch system with the 4 bolt exhaust manifolds on my 392 hemi and I've never ran a balance pipe on these early cars. BUT i do note that on my 300D which had the factory installed 4 bolt exhaust system it does have a balance pipe which runs from fairly close to the exhaust manifold flange and around under the sump (factory front pipes still on car). I see most of the "muscle car guys" have the balance pipe nearer the middle point of the exhaust system, maybe becuse it's an easyier install ??

I realise balances even out exhaust pulsations and work well on some vehicles with weirdo firing orders etc but is there a real benefit on our Mopars? In this case the factory did fit one...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
b5rt
Posted 2020-07-13 8:55 PM (#600826 - in reply to #600815)
Subject: Re: exhaust balance pipe

Expert

My 69 R/T has the factory H pipe or balance pipe. And I've had many cars without the pipe.
I've noticed you can have less of a droning effect with the balance pipe. Makes it a little more enjoyable at certain RPM ranges.
Also the systems without the balance pipe don't have the equalization of pressure so they have more of a pop sound to them, which can be cool under certain circumstances. Especially when you let off the gas.

Edited by b5rt 2020-07-13 8:57 PM
Viper Guy
Posted 2020-07-13 8:56 PM (#600827 - in reply to #600815)

Expert

Balance pipe or "H" pipe as they are commonly known do offer some improvement in exhaust efficiency. The best version is referred to as an "X" pipe and are custom made used on high performance vehicles when the exhaust is run through the mufflers. It is also believed that the closest to the end of the tail pipe the muffler is, it enhances the efficiency of the exhaust system. Just sayin' but I'd do the "H" pipe for sure and the muffler(s) as close to the end of the tailpipe as I could with a resonator ahead of the muffler if desired for quieter sound.
Mr. Bob
Posted 2020-07-13 10:27 PM (#600835 - in reply to #600815)

Regular

I recently had a 2.5" exhaust installed behind a 440 with cross rams in my 61 Chrysler. It did not have an H pipe at first, and it sounded stupid loud like a trailer park 77 Camaro. Took it back and had an H pipe installed, and glass packs as resonators just before the ends of the exhaust pipes. Much more civilized now, and cruises whisper quiet at 60 mph with the top down. Still has a little gurgle at idle, and makes some noise when I put my foot in it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)