The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another power steering quandary
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

dels56
Posted 2021-12-27 8:20 PM (#617960)
Subject: Another power steering quandary

Extreme Veteran

My 56 Dodge custom Royal, 315 Poly does not have p/s and I am wondering if I should convert from manual.
Options: 1) find a Coaxial unit to replace the manual. 2) change out the manual box to a p/s box, 3) electric.

Coaxial, may be expensive and difficult to find. Then what do I do about a p/s pump. Find a generator/pump combination as originally equipped, or add a belt driven pump.

Power steering gear box; from a newer year, like a 57 Mopar. This requires either buying a kit or fabricating the parts myself. And then adding a belt driven pump. This also requires modifications to the steering column.

Adding a belt drive pump would require finding drive pulleys as my engine only has single groove pulleys. I have looked for a 2 groove fan drive (crankshaft) pulley and a 2 groove water pump pulley with little success.

Now this is where my questions start;
My parts book list pulleys up to serial numbers up to 15895, my 315 poly serial number is D63-3 17281. Will pulleys be the same beyond 15895? The 315 poly does not use a harmonic balancer as does the Hemi. Does this mean the engine is internally balanced? OR would Hemi pulleys work along with the Hemi balancer? What about other components like crankshaft, timing cover, etc.

I can have pulleys twisted out of aluminium stock!

I have read where electric steering is another option. I see kits available and some suggest using Toyota Prius units. Again this required mods to the steering column.

Let’s hear what you think.

Del S

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mike P
Posted 2021-12-31 8:05 AM (#618033 - in reply to #617960)
Subject: RE: Another power steering quandary

Extreme Veteran

Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

I was in a similar situation with my 57 Plymouth…..yes I realize the setups will be completely different than a 56 Dodge but a lot of the research I did will probably apply to your Dodge.

I ruled out a factory setup early on….I don’t care for the lack of road-feel and by the time you dig up ALL the needed parts and refurbish them it becomes a pretty expensive and time consuming process. Sending out a core PS box itself will likely run in the $350-$500 dollar range and take a while to get the box back. The only upside is the car remains original and you know the parts will fit without any tweaking.

I also looked into the possibility of adapting an electric PS unit. Initially it looked pretty promising……clear up till I stuck my head up under the dash to see what kind of room I had to work with. The electric might have worked with an automatic but as I’m running a manual transmission the clutch pedal and linkage ate up all the space I needed for the unit. Not sure if the 56s used 12 or 6 volt charging systems but that might also be a consideration as the electric units require 12V.

I finally settled on one of You Turn power steering conversions. It did require some mods (the kit is intended for automatic equipped cars and I had to make some changes to clear clutch linkage. Over all it’s been on for a couple of years now and I did a 4000 mile trip with it last summer and I’m very pleased with it.

I understand You Turn has come out with a kit for the 55-56 Mopars recently and also PS brackets to mount a late model pump on the Polys. Might be something you also want to check into.
56D500boy
Posted 2021-12-31 10:53 AM (#618035 - in reply to #618033)

Expert 5K+

Mike: I'm not Del but Del is my bud and I have been in recent conversation with him because I am looking to modify my 56 Dodge PS pump set up (get the pump off the back of the generator).

All I want to add is I think "You Turn" is Finnish Floyd who is a Forward Look member and he is offering better pricing to FL members who deal with him directly
than what he has to charge on eBay.

I think.

eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/str/youturnpowersteering

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124669534078?hash=item1d06e21f7e:g:gP8AAOSw...

Edited by 56D500boy 2021-12-31 11:19 AM
dels56
Posted 2021-12-31 11:12 AM (#618037 - in reply to #617960)
Subject: Re: Another power steering quandary

Extreme Veteran

Hi Mike, Happy New Year!
Thanks for your input which after pondering on my thoughts, I think a you turn conversion is the way to go. My 56 is an automatic but this still means a mod is required to the steering column. Before I start ordering parts I will find a steering column as I do not want to cut up any original components. Cost is always a factor along with shipping to Canada along with exchange at 30%??.

My wife and I are snowbirds and spend our winters in sunny San Tan Valley, AZ. S.E. of Phoenix. Depending on where you are maybe I could see your 57. We will be away from AZ until mid February so maybe later. I love car shows, although I don’t have a classic here, I have wheels and try to get to as many shows as I can.

Del S
Mike P
Posted 2022-01-01 6:04 AM (#618066 - in reply to #618037)

Extreme Veteran

56D500boy, Yup same guy. The conversion I used was well made, if anything the best advice I can give anyone installing one of his units it to read thru the instruction completely (probably a couple of time LOL) before you start the install.

Floyd (the owner of You Turn) was extremely helpful when I was installing mine and his customer service was great.

“…….Before I start ordering parts I will find a steering column as I do not want to cut up any original components……”

I hear you Del, I did the same thing when I did the 57. As it turns out though I ended up modifying my original column as it had been repainted to match the cars interior and I decided not to go thru hassle of trying to color match the new column.

I live a little south of Tucson in the Sierra Vista area if your ever in the neighborhood shoot me a PM.

dels56
Posted 2022-01-01 4:30 PM (#618084 - in reply to #617960)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Mike,
Will for sure contact you when that way.
Del
Fin_ish Floyd
Posted 2022-02-02 3:52 PM (#618976 - in reply to #618035)

Dave,

My apologies for the late reply about the letter you sent to me concerning our power steering conversion set up you installed in your 56 Dodge. I just wanted to say thank you for the great ideas/input you added because that really helped us in developing a better product .Without fine customers and Forward Look members like you, Del, and Mike P, my job would be much harder.

Sincerely,
Floyd Richard Sr.
YouTurn Power Steering Conversions LLC
Ph. 409-789-4064
Located in Santa Fe, Texas
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread