The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1958 CHRYSLER 300D ex-EFI
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - VEHICLESMessage format

collector
Posted 2007-07-05 2:39 AM (#88659)
Subject: 1958 CHRYSLER 300D ex-EFI

LC4-1521 is one of the most well travelled 300Ds, and certainly the most well travelled of the Fuelies.

HISTORY of this car
Obviously built in USA, she spent her early life in California. She, and the other 20 cars, were recalled in 1958/9 for conversion to dual 4-barrel Carter AFB carburettors because the Bendix Electrojector, the industry's first EFI system, had proved unreliable. I have never seen one, but there are apparently one or two cars remaining that still have the Bendix system in place. She was exported to Germany sometime in the late 1990s and mechanically restored. The engine block is the original unit but the crankshaft is from a 1957 300C, which means it's hardened. She also benefitted from a new Gary Goers interior at this time.

I believe that she had two owners in Germany, the second being well known collector Carsten Woitinek.

Woitinek sold her to Stuart/Stewart Keen of UK around 2000. Keen, a trained painter, repainted the car in original Raven Black. This car was never anything but black.

Keen sold the car to me in 2001 after I saw her at the Rally of the Giants of that year. I had wanted a 300D, ideally in black, and ideally a FUEL INJECTION, since I was a teenager. I can still recall not quite believing my eyes when I first saw her on the show field on that sunny July day.

I re-imported her to USA in 2007. With around 380 bhp of Hemi power on tap she is still astonishingly fast for a full size monster. People just don't expect her to be a sprinter but she certainly is.

CONDITION
I am very fussy, and rate this car as a decent #3. According to the books, #1 and #2 are really reserved for perfect show cars. She's in show car condition, including the fully painted and beautifed engine bay, but I can't claim perfection. Is a car ever perfect?

MAGAZINES
She has featured in both CLASSIC AMERICAN and CLASSIC AND SPORTSCAR magazines in multi-page colour articles.

NUMERICAL ANALYSIS
If you don't agree, I don't worry because this is my post!
Number of 300Ds built : 809
Hardtops : 618
Convertibles : 191
Total built with EFI : 21 (some people claim 35, but I believe this includes Dodges of the same year)
Total 300D survivors : 222
Total 300D Fuelie survivors : 9 (whether or not EFI in place)

Within that bracket of 21 cars, Chrysler apparently built 5 prototypes, all of which were sold, not broken up. There were then 16 semi-production cars built. This car is the second of the 16 semi-production units, and the oldest survivor of this sub-group given that the first is known to have been junked. She is not, however, the oldest of the full 21 because at least one of the early 5 also survives. This information is from my days in the 300 clubs.

The bottom line is that she is one of 21 built, and one of 9 survivors.

LITERATURE
I also have the super rare 300D factory brochure. With only 809 cars built, I don't believe that many of these brochures were printed.

She is currently in north-east Indiana, about 15 miles from Auburn.

REPAIRS
The petrol/gasoline tank was damaged during transport to USA, but this has now been restored by Gas Tank Renu.

REASONS for Selling
The main reason is business intentions, but a secondary reason is that my automotive interest has substantially moved from the 50s to the 70s. In no way am I disappointed with my 300D. She has been a great car, although I freely admit seldomly driven. I have owned her for 6 years, and I feel it is time for her to move on to a new owner who will trasure her as I did.

WHEN FOR SALE
I am currently NOT in USA as I write this post, but will return in October 2007. I need to re-install the gas tank and want to take the opportunity to improve a few other things at the same time, such as strip and galvanise the tank straps. I have written this post because I want to make other collectors aware that the car will be for sale toward the end of this year. I have not decided what form the sale will be, but I'm trying to give myself plenty of options and allow for possible visits from interested parties.

Contact me if she's of interest to you. Price is negotiable, but it won't be cheap.

Thank you for reading.

RS

Edited by collector 2007-07-05 6:06 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57burb
Posted 2007-07-05 11:19 PM (#88769 - in reply to #88659)
Subject: RE: 1958 CHRYSLER 300D ex-EFI

Expert

What documentation do you have that your car was fuel injected at one time?

Beautiful...
collector
Posted 2007-07-06 1:42 AM (#88779 - in reply to #88769)

Hello 57burb.

Great avatar!

When I was a member of the 300 clubs, it was accepted by the people-in-the-know (and I don't claim to be one of them) that she was the real deal. I don't recall all of the names now, but I was conversant with people like John Hertog, Wayne Graefen, George Riehl, and Mrs Moon at the time. I wasn't one of the in-crowd, and in fact I never actually met any of those people, but I did communicate about the car when I wanted to gather in facts like production figures and survival rates. Mrs Moon also provided me with some additional history of the car such as names of owners in USA. I don't have that with me as I reply to you, but it is in folders kept inside the car.

I was able to talk to the second owner of the car, a collector in California. Of course when he had her it would have been the early 60s, so she may not have counted as collectible back then. Moving forward 40 years, he had a bunch of interesting MoPars, including an Imperial LWB - possibly a 1931. I sent him a full magazine that she had recently appeared in and he promised to write to me, but he never did. This would have been in 2001 or 2002, so I don't know whether he still lives because he was very elderly. I was not, however, able to determine the name of the first owner.

Physical evidence

• Special 300D FUEL INJECTION medallions on either side of the car

• Special heavy duty dynamo

• Cut out, and plate, in trunk floor that would have permitted access to the in-tank fuel pump that the Fuelies had

The medallions were fitted as replacement items in the factory. I mean they replace the standard 300D medallions.
They're not extra medallions on the fenders or somewhere. Overall size is identical, but they have an outer black band into which the words FUEL INJECTION appear. Because of the black band, the red/white/blue centre that carries the 300D logo is considerably smaller than upon standard 300Ds.

I would welcome any inspection by interested parties that want to satisfy themselves that she is what I claim. I have absolutely no doubts now, but I can remember doing my best to check the details before I paid the money in 2001!

RS

Edited by collector 2007-07-06 1:51 AM
collector
Posted 2007-07-07 7:00 AM (#88907 - in reply to #88779)

At Fort Nelson in 2003.

RS
collector
Posted 2007-08-19 5:08 AM (#93642 - in reply to #88907)

Asking $80,000

...or offer !
StillOutThere
Posted 2010-10-18 11:13 AM (#246034 - in reply to #88659)
Subject: Re: 1958 CHRYSLER 300D ex-EFI

Its an old thread, I know, but I can't help but post on it.

Why, WHY in the world does anyone own a car of this rarity and this market value potential, and not offer as documentation proof of the validity of the car one of the two undisputable sources: Paperwork readily available from 1. Chrysler Historical for $45 and about a month's wait, or 2. Chrysler 300 Club Int'l "data codes interpretation" which is free to club members.

That all written and said, there is still a LOT more story to that car which is why it continues to change hands. DUE DILIGENCE as a potential buyer is rule #1.
d500neil
Posted 2010-10-18 4:56 PM (#246070 - in reply to #246034)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

S.O.T.; you do know 'of' this car's legitimacy, right?

Do you know who owns it, now?

What is the "lot more story" that you mention?

Getting my popcorn out....

StillOutThere
Posted 2010-10-18 8:09 PM (#246111 - in reply to #88659)

It is my understanding that this car is included in the serial number list of originally EFI-equipped cars BUT I have personally never seen that documentation and I can not vouch for it. The owner /seller must provide it. I am not sure whether it sold since this thread was started back over three years ago.
I'd be telling stories out of school if I started writing about this car. I am not an authority on EFI cars; just another hobbyist like all y'all. I don't deal in rumors and this car is not even being actively marketed currently as far as I am aware. If someone is interested in it, they have to do the research or so-called due diligence.

My whole, only, and entire point in posting was to scream the word DOCUMENTATION.
phurious
Posted 2010-10-20 9:44 PM (#246405 - in reply to #88659)

Extreme Veteran

mmm, popcorn
christine-lover
Posted 2010-10-20 10:20 PM (#246410 - in reply to #246111)

Expert

StillOutThere - 2010-10-18 8:09 PM

It is my understanding that this car is included in the serial number list of originally EFI-equipped cars BUT I have personally never seen that documentation and I can not vouch for it. The owner /seller must provide it. I am not sure whether it sold since this thread was started back over three years ago.
I'd be telling stories out of school if I started writing about this car. I am not an authority on EFI cars; just another hobbyist like all y'all. I don't deal in rumors and this car is not even being actively marketed currently as far as I am aware. If someone is interested in it, they have to do the research or so-called due diligence.

My whole, only, and entire point in posting was to scream the word DOCUMENTATION.

Not sure where this car is now, but it went up for auction (Kruse) around August/Sept 2008 and it was hammered at $69,000, no sale.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)