The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's see YOUR CAR and tell us something about it!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

57burb
Posted 2008-05-07 9:29 PM (#129017)
Subject: Let's see YOUR CAR and tell us something about it!

Expert

I know everyone here is proud of their car(s) and enjoys showing off a little bit. That's what those fins are for.

So tell us something about it; what it is, why you got it, why you've kept it, that kind of thing. And get everyone up to date on your projects!

I'll start-

I'd been looking for a finned Mopar when I heard about a "1959 Suburban and 1950 Oldsmobile wagon" in Florida on another big forum. I think most people assumed it was a Chivy Suburban but I took the chance, hoping it was a Mopar. The owner sent me a pic of this giant, ugly blue 2dr '57 Plymouth wagon. The price was fair - it cost more to get it home to Texas than to buy it. I'd always wanted a FL Mopar, a wagon, and a beater to have fun with and this one is all of that. It's the most fun "old car" I've ever had. I don't have to worry about anyone scratching the paint and it starts up the best conversations with the unwashed masses. It's not much to look at, but I feel a good connection with it. I think it knows I saved it from a certain death!

I always hunt Craigslist, searching the years "1955" up through "1961" just to see what pops up. One day I saw an ad for a "1957 Chyrsler New Yorker 2dr sedan" - yes the bodystyle was wrong and the make misspelled - and the best part, it was local to me! I was looking at it within 3hrs of the ad going up. After a lot of negotiation, and the price going up, I was finally able to make a deal. She was pricey, but the car is incredible. Basically no rust at all, and has all of my favorite FL cues - 392 Hemi, pushbuttons, awesome fins, acres of glass and thin pillars. I'm still collecting parts for this one. I really won't dig into it until later this year and of course I'll keep you all posted.

I love both of my cars and I'm lucky to have them. Let's hear about yours!

Edited by 57burb 2008-05-07 9:32 PM

(roundup091.jpg)

(nyerstance.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments roundup091.jpg (78KB - 599 downloads)
Attachments nyerstance.jpg (108KB - 305 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
imopar380
Posted 2008-05-07 10:23 PM (#129033 - in reply to #129017)
Subject: RE: Let's see YOUR CAR and tell us something about it!

Expert 5K+

Don't y'all have any green grass down there in TEXAS ??? The Polara is not mine any more, just the 300 behind it.

Edited by imopar380 2008-05-07 10:27 PM

(TAMIW.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TAMIW.JPG (129KB - 626 downloads)
57burb
Posted 2008-05-07 10:26 PM (#129034 - in reply to #129033)

Expert

Sure, just not in the middle of winter when I took that picture.

Don't you guys ever get TORNADOES in Canada?
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2008-05-07 10:35 PM (#129036 - in reply to #129017)
Subject: Re: Let's see YOUR CAR and tell us something about it!

Great thread, Danny...
I've always LOVED your cars, too. Particularly the "new" '57 Chrysler.

I currently own three ForwardLookers... Their stories are posted with a bunch o' pictures in my album.
Here's a link where you can read and see more about my '56 Dodge / '59 Dodge / '60 Chrysler.

http://forwardlook.net/forums/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=1...

-NM
1955Coronado
Posted 2008-05-07 10:56 PM (#129039 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

Saved from the soggy banks of Southern Oregon by the grace and caring hand of John Fowlie, I'm currently saving $$$ up (slower than hell right now, but still plugging away) for my site namesake, a 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado 4 door sedan - 1 of just 487 Coronados made.

So far as I know, she's 100% untouched - 291cid/200hp hemi, Powerflite, power steering, power brakes, 4-way power seat, original turquoise cloth over white leather upholstry, 95% rust free. Here she is - first 2 were taken the day John rescued her and 4 other DeSotos (all '59's):

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado before wash.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado before wash2.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado after wash.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado after wash2.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado before wash.jpg (65KB - 600 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado before wash2.jpg (61KB - 320 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado after wash.jpg (60KB - 308 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado after wash2.jpg (57KB - 302 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado.jpg (29KB - 320 downloads)
dukeboy
Posted 2008-05-07 10:58 PM (#129040 - in reply to #129036)

Expert 5K+

Originally a '57 Belvedere 2dr hd top...The twin to the "Tulsa Plymouth"...(Same Color)...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

My own "Custom" 2 1/2" exhaust..
Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited by dukeboy 2008-05-07 11:03 PM
56fireflite
Posted 2008-05-08 4:07 AM (#129064 - in reply to #129017)

Veteran

Here's my 56 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman. It's a 4dr hardtop that I bought about 12 years ago.
It was given to a gas station with a stuck motor in '67, and somehow it ended up in a barn.

I have driven this car all around in the Southern states, and shipped it to The Netherlands 5 years ago.
The "repaint"became a full restoration.

In the lbums"section I am keeping a log.

The way it is now, it was a year ago...somehow the last little jobs seem to take forever...

Things lost during resto: 1 gas tank strap.....wanted....

(ss1.jpg)

(ss2.jpg)

(ss4.jpg)

(ss5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ss1.jpg (31KB - 614 downloads)
Attachments ss2.jpg (45KB - 313 downloads)
Attachments ss4.jpg (35KB - 320 downloads)
Attachments ss5.jpg (51KB - 316 downloads)
Sonoramic60
Posted 2008-05-08 9:19 AM (#129073 - in reply to #129064)

Expert

In order to leave a little room for someone else to post their pix, I'll just refer you to Al Wilson's 1960 Plymouth homepage where you can see a photo of my "Big-Tailed Beast" (there is also a link there to an article I wrote for the Plymouth Owners' Club on the SonoRamic Commando engine).
I campaigned a very similar car back in '60-'64 and it became my first automotive love affair, as well as quite an item of conversation when I tried to explain to my sons that wild cross-ram carb set-up. So, in the early 90s when my finances began to permit a search, I began to look for a ram-inducted Plymouth. I didn't realize how rare they were until that point because back in 1960 there were at least two others in the small town in Colorado where I grew up. However, in 1999 I discovered the Beast in a barn here in Colorado (Frisco -- yes, there is a town here by that name). I bought it from the heir of the original owner who was a rancher and I believe it was his "Sunday-go-to-meetin' car" as it had only 43000 miles on the clock when I brought it home. In fact, since a lot of ranching here is 24/7, I wouldn't be surprised if it never left the state.
I took that pic about two months after I bought the car, so it gives you an idea of its condition when I found it. I did add the skirts and tires (my spare is still an old GoodYear polyglass), but the only real repairs were a new windshield, right taillight lens, and carpet (he had that clear plastic stuff over the seats which kept them perfect -- so they, the side panels, visors and headliner are absolutely cherry). An interesting point is that, since it was kept in a barn with horses, they tried to lick the hood and deck lid (for salt), became frustrated, and tried chewing them so there were long horse tooth marks both fron and rear. However, these didn't even penetrate the primer, so I had them repainted.
The lady in the pic is my wife, who absolutely deflated me after my pride and joy was unloaded in the driveway -- "I thought it was ugly when it was new and I think it's ugly now!"
Joe Godec
Kenny J.
Posted 2008-05-08 9:32 AM (#129076 - in reply to #129017)

Inactive by user's request

57burb - 2008-05-07 6:29 PM

I know everyone here is proud of their car(s) and enjoys showing off a little bit. That's what those fins are for.

I love both of my cars and I'm lucky to have them. Let's hear about yours!

Mine are here:

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?album...

My Forward Look vehicles are nothing to write home about. My album is simply a "photo journal" what goes on with finned beasts.....and lately, not very much.

Am loading a shed with parts currently stored in the garage so I can cram the '57 Saratoga in their with the '59 Impala. Am setting aside anything aside Donnie can use.

K.
Ray
Posted 2008-05-08 12:59 PM (#129090 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

1961 Canadian Chrysler, Windsor, Black 2 Dr HT.

I feel very fortunate that I was able to have full use of my father's 1959 New Yorker, black 4 dr ht when I was in High school and I was able to purchase a 1958 New Yorker white 4 dr ht when I graduated from high school. I realy appreciated both of those vehicles, but not as much as I should have.

Ever since college, I have casually looked for a replacement. It wasn't until my son graduated from his auto service program that I felt it might be possible to handle a project that I could afford. I continue to work him pretty hard and both of us are learning a lot. He had never worked on a carb or a non electronic distributor in school. He was surprised to learn that the old guy new something after all.

My son talked me into buying a 72 NY Brougham for the 440, but I have recently decided that it was not the way that I wanted to go. I sold it to Colin, a FWL member in SE Minnesota.

Here is the link to the detail of what has been done and photos. http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?album...

We just got Spring in Minnesota. Can't wait for the 4 weeks of summer....

Ray and Brent

Edited by Ray 2008-05-08 10:04 PM
SCHROEDC
Posted 2008-05-08 1:46 PM (#129094 - in reply to #129017)

Extreme Veteran

I got in to my 59 Fury pretty much by accident/Act of god/ineptitude of the army corps of engineers, We had a major flood in the town of Rushford Minnesota last august, I had been building a 62 furd pickup but the flood waters pretty much totaled that out and cleaned out my garage in a hurry, One day in october I was looking at craigslist in Minneapolis and found the Fury with a 1200.00 price tag, I called the guy and set up a time to look at it that same day, set off for the twin cities with a wad of cash in my pocket and no Idea how I would get it home if i did buy it, Got there and found that the car had pretty much been sitting in the garage for close to 10 years, THe owner started it for me and i drove it around the block to make sure it was functional, Did the deal right there and he agreed to store it for me for 2 weeks as long as I was paying cash, Came back the next weekend with a borrowed trailer and truck and hauled it home, Car only had 56000 miles on it but 10 years of neglect and so-so maintenance took it's toll, THe brakes failed getting it off the trailer and my wife drove it in to the side of the garage, so First thing was disc brakes in the front and replace all the hoses,lines,wheel cylinders, rear shoes etc, then I started going through it to get all the mechanicals working right, with some TLC and a lot of assistance from you folks I have the car running and driving perfectly and eventally I'll start on the body work, Though I have found these cars addicting due to their unique styling and in december I decide to buy another one, A rust free 1960 Savoy 2 door sedan from texas that was on it's way to being a stock car (shudder). That car is a major project as the drive line was out and there is no interior. And no I did not pay anywhere near the price soaped on the window of the savoy

Edited by SCHROEDC 2008-05-08 1:53 PM

(Photo_101107_002.jpg)

(60-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Photo_101107_002.jpg (248KB - 311 downloads)
Attachments 60-1.jpg (129KB - 294 downloads)
57plymouth
Posted 2008-05-08 2:36 PM (#129099 - in reply to #129094)

Expert

I've been told by Mopar Mel and Mike in KC that I don't know anything about cars, and that everything I post is wrong, and everything I post came from other people. So I guess I'm not allowed to answer.

But here is my car in 1986:

Photobucket

Here it is as I drove it in high school:

Photobucket

And here is the 1957 dealer's invoice in my great grandmother's name:

Photobucket

And here is my car relaxing in the yard:

Photobucket

We've been together since 1990 (WOW! Has it been that long already!) and I'm wondering what her next incarnation will be.
wizard
Posted 2008-05-08 4:17 PM (#129108 - in reply to #129017)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

The Chrysler cars from the FL period had always fascinated me with their “factory custom” lines and powerful engines and all the Chrysler gadgets. Always?
Well not really, but once a small wizard boy saw the 61 Newport convertible in bold yellow and that left an everlasting impression - the hungry front, the fins, the front, the interior of a spaceship with the mysterious AstraDome and the gurgling sound of the V 8 - those impressions left the little boy lying in his bed, not able to sleep, imagines of the car burnt in his brain. This is how a real car should look like. Growing up, the boy seeked the parking lots with the cool guys with their cars and chicks - Rock N' Roll oozing out of hardtops and cabrios only made the "flue" worse. Naturally I had to buy an American car when I was old enough to drive - it was a chebbie 60. The boy is older now, but the love for the cars and the music never left him and probably never will.

A lot of “other” American cars came and went, but the Chryslers was always in the back of my mind.

In the late seventies I renovated a Sweden sold 59 New Yorker turtleback, which was a big project at that time. In those days there was no internet, E-bay and all the other imported parts. Information was difficult to get. That project taught me a lot about those cars and the mechanical solutions. I bought the car in cases and paper bags – everything demounted, so it was a big puzzle with some hard trials for me. Finally I succeeded and got it running again.

Life and work went on, finally I sold the Chrysler and that was just it.

Then one day in the beginning of 2007, I saw her – the 60 Saratoga in a window of a car sales building. She just stood there, it was winter and nobody wanted her. Then I also found a 60 New Yorker for sale in the same area, so I tried to organize a combined meeting for to look at both cars. The NY was still to arrive from USA and so I waited and waited.
Finally I got the news that the NY was to arrive in the middle of March.
I made agreements with both sellers, informing them that I meant to look at both the cars. Everything was OK, so we travelled up to have a look.
Halfway there I called for to make the final checks with the sellers about arrival time. The first phone call left me flabbergasted – the seller already sold the car to another guy although I called him the night before for to assure him that I would come. He just said “Cash is King” and had absolutely no remorse even as I told him that he did not know my limit.
He was just happy that he sold the car for the money he got.

Then I called the other seller from Millners – no problems at all, he could not come, but he had already arranged so a friend of his went to meet us.
We finally got there and were greeted by a friendly couple and some hot coffee. I was eager to see the car, so after the coffee we went in to the car hall. There she was, a little dusty but oh so fine. I was given free hands with the car and could check everything in my own time.
Finally I tried to start her up and she caught directly. After some warming up, we took her for a spin and naturally, I was lost – there was no turning back.
We agreed to meet the day after and spent the night in a hotel nearby.
I really didn’t have any sleep that night – the wizard saw the 60 Saratoga in sleek ivy green that had left a deep impression - the hungry front, the fins, the interior of a spaceship with the mysterious AstraDome and the gurgling sound of the V 8 - those impressions left the wizard lying in his bed, not able to sleep, imagines of the car burnt in his brain. This is how a real car should look like.

At the dusk of dawn, I got up and went for a walk in the park – clearing my head and prepared for the buy.

After breakfast my wife and I went back to the car hall and the sellers fried was waiting there. I told him that I wanted to buy the car and he called the seller. The seller had a ticket to a Dolly Parton show and that was the reason that he could not be there. We agreed on the price after the usual haggle. I asked him how I could pay him and he said “You just take here, drive her home and pay me when your back home and able to transfer the money”. That man, Mats Wicktor had never met me, we had talked over the phone and sent numerous mail – he trusted me and that’s a gentleman in my book. I paid him a swift as I could.

The travel home was a travel in time – the Saratoga just chewed mile after mile and wanted more. It was a sunny spring day and I went back in time with her – all the memories rushed back and I was young again.
The V 8 was singing a steady rumbling tone, the HT windows where down, the imaginary Rock N Roll tune on, my vision somewhat blurred, but those were tears of joy!

Edited by wizard 2008-05-08 4:27 PM

(Resize of New Yorker 59.jpg)

(Resize of 1.jpg)

(Resize of 5.jpg)

(Resize of DSCN1358.JPG)

(Resize of DSCN1368.JPG)

(Resize of DSCN1369.JPG)

(Resize of 21_04_2008_Dual mirrors.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Resize of New Yorker 59.jpg (80KB - 301 downloads)
Attachments Resize of 1.jpg (59KB - 308 downloads)
Attachments Resize of 5.jpg (43KB - 311 downloads)
Attachments Resize of DSCN1358.JPG (69KB - 320 downloads)
Attachments Resize of DSCN1368.JPG (83KB - 300 downloads)
Attachments Resize of DSCN1369.JPG (100KB - 285 downloads)
Attachments Resize of 21_04_2008_Dual mirrors.jpg (121KB - 298 downloads)
d500neil
Posted 2008-05-08 8:04 PM (#129134 - in reply to #129017)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Sven, your story WINS the prize, for best emotional experience, with a FWDLK'er.

I could only top that, if I were somehow able to have found my dad's certainly-long-gone-by-now 1957 CRL 2-dr HT.

big m
Posted 2008-05-08 8:47 PM (#129143 - in reply to #129017)

Expert 5K+

Little did I know it at the time, but I spotted an ad for a free '57 Fury in the local Cruisin' News paper, that car would become mine. I wasn't the lucky soul that got it for free, however. I called, and the seller seemed a bit upset [probably due to the number of calls], and said the car went somewhere 'up north'.

About two weeks later, a fellow from the other side of town came by and asked if I could fix the carburetor on his Fury. I told him to drop it off, and I'd call him when ready. He came and picked it up one afternoon, and called me that evening with a bunch of questions as to why there was no spark, so I told him I'd come by and have a look-see.

I was surprised as hell to see a '57 Fury, and then he told me it was a freebie in the paper! The rust on the roof and quarter panels was severe from years of being parked by the ocean air, but it ran fairly well after cleaning the breaker points. He said that he was going to fix it up for his son.

About a month went by and curiosity got the better of me, so I took a drive by his house, and found the car disassembled to the chassis and rear body section. I asked the fellow how the resto was going and he told me it was beyond his capabilities to repair, and it was going on E-bay, piece by piece. I saw some hope in fixing the car, and gave him a generous offer, which he accepted.

I reassembled the car, replacing or repairing what was in poor condition, and then I doctored it up to look like it was just pulled from a field, with surface rust, faded out paint, upholstery worn to the springs, rotted exhaust, but mechanically sound. I drove it that way for two years until the town's police chief told me nicely that it was time to replace the windshield and exhaust.

A friend that does auto upholstery offered to trade the interior work needed for a slew of '56 Ferd parts he needed for a project, so I decided to do up the bodywork, plate some items, and apply fresh paint. Been driving her daily ever since! ---John

(DSC02589.jpg)

(DSC02650.jpg)

('57 Fury road trip 003.jpg)

('57 Fury road trip 001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02589.jpg (41KB - 299 downloads)
Attachments DSC02650.jpg (47KB - 307 downloads)
Attachments '57 Fury road trip 003.jpg (69KB - 290 downloads)
Attachments '57 Fury road trip 001.jpg (142KB - 299 downloads)
Mike P
Posted 2008-05-08 10:28 PM (#129158 - in reply to #129017)

Extreme Veteran

I’d been keeping my eye out for a 57-8 2dr for about 5 years when I lucked into this one in 1992. It was rust free but not a straight panel on it. I put it away while I worked on other projects etc. In 2004 I started building it to drive to Tulsa on 07.

I had horse traded for a 56 354 HEMI, added Tri-Power an over drive 4 speed and Posi rear end (along with a hood scoop to clear the air cleaner and let the hood close).

We took it to Tulsa and then on to Illinois last year for a 3000 mile vacation. It has AC, cruise, disc brakes and is a ball to drive.

(P.JPG)

(cruise control.JPG)

(PLy hood scoop.JPG)

(shifter in car.JPG)

(57 Side 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P.JPG (64KB - 291 downloads)
Attachments cruise control.JPG (63KB - 295 downloads)
Attachments PLy hood scoop.JPG (50KB - 309 downloads)
Attachments shifter in car.JPG (65KB - 288 downloads)
Attachments 57 Side 2.JPG (64KB - 304 downloads)
deloverly
Posted 2008-05-08 10:36 PM (#129159 - in reply to #129017)

Elite Veteran

My story is a lot different than any of yours. I grew up an Olds fashioned girl. My high school car was a 1969 Hurst Olds (which I still own). I have always liked fins, but the closest I've come to owning a finned car is a 59 Olds.

In November my husband (John) bought 5 Desotos. One is the one that 1955Coronado talks about. When those cars came in on the back of the trailer I saw a Red 1959 Desoto and thought it was the coolest looking car I had seen (no offense John). I kept thinking about that darned car all night and the next day. I told John numerous times how much I liked it. John finally got the car off the trailer and I went out and looked at it. It had recently had the seats recovered, has aftermarket a/c, but the ringer was the Leopard print padded dash. I was hooked.

I went over to John and told him that I wasn't going to hint anymore, that I wanted that car! He said he had already planned on giving it to me. I have never named a car until this one (her name is Maude). John took the bumpers off her because they were dented and put nicer ones near her, but not on her (hint, hint). He also needs to work on the brakes. I hope to be able to drive her this summer.
--M'Lisa

(Desoto 001.jpg)

(Desoto 002.jpg)

(Desoto 003.jpg)

(Desoto 004.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Desoto 001.jpg (193KB - 291 downloads)
Attachments Desoto 002.jpg (211KB - 301 downloads)
Attachments Desoto 003.jpg (192KB - 300 downloads)
Attachments Desoto 004.jpg (171KB - 356 downloads)
lawrence
Posted 2008-05-08 10:50 PM (#129162 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

I bought mine with half a poly motor and dried up milk jugs of bent pushrods. She had been staring at me for quite a few years in me local hometown. I heard the guy wouldn't sell the car. So I send me wife to scoop her up for $600 smackers. 6 years later she is still not finished. But she gets closer every year.

Me apologies to all the rust bucket 2 dr hardtop cars I raped for me bits for me 2 dr sedan.  You have to dance with the one that stared you down first.

Edited by lawrence 2008-05-08 11:24 PM

(rustaration001.jpg)

(resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rustaration001.jpg (121KB - 303 downloads)
Attachments resized.jpg (50KB - 273 downloads)
Resurrector
Posted 2008-05-08 11:19 PM (#129164 - in reply to #129017)

Here's how I first discovered my '58 Regent. This ad was in the Canadian Old car Trader, in 1995. I'd been looking for one of these 2 door hardtop Plymouth/Plodge cars for years, like so many others, thanks to the Christine movie and book. My eyes practically jumped out of their sockets when I came across this one. I called the dude up and basically offered to buy it sight unseen (while the owner probably thought, "Ka-CHING!!") I didn't care; I wanted this one BAD. I took out a loan, drove up to see it later that week and brought him a bank draft for full asking price. Then I came the following week with a trailer, and brought her home. He had my money; I had the car...who's laughing now, &*%$face??
It was a very tall car then with big, ugly 15 inch tires and hidious 12 inch spring shackles in the rear. Massive bondo patches coming off with your fingers, an extremely seized 313, fully cooked torqueflite, and a rear end with enough metal shavings to build a Civic. A 2 by 4 under the front seat to keep it from falling through the floor. I learned while trying to trace the car's history, at least 2 people were given this car, who then brought her home to realize she was so rough, they brought her back! Many years ago, she had been hit hard in the right rear corner, and someone spliced a half a quarter panel, fin and all, onto her...not the best work, but it did the job.
3 years and $21,000 later...Let's just say I could not love a human child as much as I love driving this car.

I came across my '58 CRL sometime after, by putting a parts wanted ad in the Western Producer, a farming paper. It ended up being well worth driving a truck and trailer to Foam Lake, Saskatchewan to pick her up...especially for $1800. At the time I had no idea how rare that car is. Here's a neat story about that car, how fate intervenes, for the best:
I foolishly tried to sell her at a classic car action, she bid up to $100 less then my reserve, didn't sell, then wouldn't start to drive off the block (a sign obviously, she wasn't leaving me!!) I was disapointed as I loaded her back onto the trailer and brought her home. It was just a bad, bad day, or so I thought...the trailer tire blew on the way home and I spent an hour prying the wrapped tire off the axle, just a trying experience all around.
Some months after that I came to my senses; now I would not sell that car for all the money in the world.

I found my '59 Regents through a man I met at a vintage tractor pull/show. That situation was proof that sometimes, the fact that Chevies are more popular than these cars can be a very good thing...he was a diehard GM man, and didn't see the true value in these cars.

(veronica original ad 3.JPG)

(Veronica at innisfail 07.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments veronica original ad 3.JPG (54KB - 281 downloads)
Attachments Veronica at innisfail 07.jpg (156KB - 305 downloads)
wizard
Posted 2008-05-09 2:52 AM (#129214 - in reply to #129099)

That's a long time that you had the car Brian, and a long time that the car belonged to your family. To think of all the documentation and history that you have spins my head. I'll hope that you will drive her as long as you're able to. Thanks for sharing.
wizard
Posted 2008-05-09 2:56 AM (#129215 - in reply to #129164)

I regognize the FL sickness Jeff - a lot of us has it and it stays for a lifetime! Nice story, thanks for sharing.
Resurrector
Posted 2008-05-09 9:12 AM (#129233 - in reply to #129017)

Thanks for your post too wizard - well said, very entertaining. Great car, too!
Resurrector
Posted 2008-05-09 9:24 AM (#129235 - in reply to #129017)

Mike P, awesome car! I really dig the way you two-toned the dash, that looks sharp, and the door panels.
firedome
Posted 2008-05-09 4:13 PM (#129268 - in reply to #129235)

Expert

Having sold my cherished '61 during some thin times, I was lucky enough to stumble across one of my all time FL favorites a short time later, when flush times had returned somewhat... I've had the original factory service manual and a picture of this car on my garage wall for over 25 years, so I must have known I'd have it one day!! I had several rarer FL 'verts back in the '80s, but this is the one FL that I liked even better, to my eye the prettiest and most elegantly proportioned of all of the ForwardLook cars.

Only rarely do I check Craigslist, but on a day that I'd been talking to my cousin about how CL was one place you could still get good deals, I decided to look at CL and found an ad for the car I'd dreamed of for over 20 years - a '58 DeSoto 4 door hardtop, and within reasonable driving distance. This one a FireSweep - not the FireDome pictured on my wall, but close enough! The ad was over a week old, I figured no way it'd still be for sale. I called him that minute, and it was. 68 yr old 2nd owner , car with 46,000 original miles, stored for 10 years, all paperwork from both owners. It had been restored in the '80s when he bought it, but years later it sat outside unused. I got the details, then I told him I'd get back to him, as it was over 200 mi away, and I didn't know when I'd have the time. Thinking about it for about an hour, I decided it'd be gone before I could go see it, so I called him back and made a deal for what he was asking, minus the $500 it would cost me to get it transported it back home. The very next day it was posted here on Cars For Sale and all of a sudden he was deluged with calls, including several from Sweden. I had lucked out in my timing for once. So I called my old trucker buddy with his biodiesel powered rollback, and a week later, it was home in my nice dry garage.
Coming back, during a stop for gas, all the employees of the bicycle shop next door came pouring out to examine this rare FL specimin, and they even took pictures with their cell phones! One big rig driver gave us the thumbs up, and kids in cars seemed awestruck by a car the likes of which they'd never seen before... a great start to a new life for Desi, as I call him! The floors need work, some 1/4 panels, around the rear glass, usual mechanical stuff from sitting, but it's very solid in all the important places, and complete except for one piece of rear fender trim. For me, restoration work is as much fun as the actual driving, I love it ... and the fun has begun! It may take me years, but when finished, it will be Wedgewood Blue (a lighter non-metallic blue) body with a White roof and colorsweep, with all body-work done with lead, no bondo, and as nice as I can possibly make it!

Edited by firedome 2008-05-09 4:47 PM

(010208010300011600200803224.jpg)

(IMAGE002.JPG)

(IMAGE003.JPG)

(IMAGE004.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 010208010300011600200803224.jpg (5KB - 299 downloads)
Attachments IMAGE002.JPG (51KB - 304 downloads)
Attachments IMAGE003.JPG (50KB - 292 downloads)
Attachments IMAGE004.JPG (50KB - 289 downloads)
wizard
Posted 2008-05-09 4:20 PM (#129270 - in reply to #129017)

Good story and a nice car Roger. The one that waits generally waits too long, you got it thanks to swift action. Happy motoring.
55BlueHeron
Posted 2008-05-09 6:37 PM (#129291 - in reply to #129017)

Extreme Veteran

The first car I remember my parents owning was a Desert Rose 1956 Chrysler Windsor wagon. We were known as the family with the big pink wagon. I remember that car as a great reliable car. When I went shopping for my first car I looked at Chrysler products and ended up buying a 1961 Plymouth Savoy. When it gave out I bought a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal. Because of these cars I have had a love of finned Chrysler products.

Fast forward many years. In Nov. 2005 I found a 1955 Chrysler in San Jose, CA, and went to look at it while visiting family in CA. My wife and I went to look at it, but the owner couldn't get it started. I saw bondo under the paint, the wrong shade of white on the lower half, and other body issues. As we were driving away my wife looked at the expression on my face and said "do you want a show car or one you can drive."

I made another appointment to look at the car, drove it, and bought it. I had no way to get it home, so we left a large deposit with the agreement that we would pick up the car in January. In January my wife and I went out on a business trip, and picked up the car. While there we put a new battery in it, bought new tires, and had someone go through the car to prepare it for the drive back to Colorado.

The second and third pictures are of the trip home. The third is when we spun the center out of the generator pulley.

(Car1.JPG)

(Route66.jpg)

(broken.jpg)

(GroupOfPictures.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Car1.JPG (169KB - 383 downloads)
Attachments Route66.jpg (44KB - 297 downloads)
Attachments broken.jpg (47KB - 304 downloads)
Attachments GroupOfPictures.JPG (106KB - 297 downloads)
d500neil
Posted 2008-05-09 7:36 PM (#129292 - in reply to #129017)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Roger, looking at your car's brake pedal, it appears that most of it's 46K mileage must have occurred on the highway!
firedome
Posted 2008-05-09 8:58 PM (#129305 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

Neil - up until 38k it was an old lady special - maybe she didn't press too hard!
firedome
Posted 2008-05-10 9:47 AM (#129368 - in reply to #129305)

Expert

Stan: that Blue Heron Spring Special is a truly beautiful car!!! Is that blue a special color for the Spring Special models only, if so, what is it called?
50scars
Posted 2008-05-11 5:35 PM (#129550 - in reply to #129017)

Elite Veteran

I saw this 56 Imperial on the street with a For Sale Sign in the window in Charleston W.Va, while I was attending a car show for another make I happen to own. IMHO, 55 and 56 Forward look cars are the absolutely best styled cars ever built. I called the number, and the guy showed it to me. I asked how much he wanted, and he told me. Actually, I'd have gladly paid him that, but I told him I'd think about it. The next day, I shot him a price 2/3 of what he asked. Much to my surprise, instead of making a counter, he said YES! I then had another problem--2 cars, only one me, 600 miles from home. A pal's wife looked it over, and offered to drive it home for me. So Sunday morning, we got on the interstate together. My flathead is real comfortable at 55. It will run for years at 55, in fact it has. At 65, it uses more oil than gas. They promptly left me behind. From this point on, this is the story as their kids remember it. His car is a street legal drag car. Gets about the same MPG as a semi. A 354 Hemi Imperial has long legs. Not only does it have bigger gas tank than his car, it gets a whale of a lot better gas mileage. And the factory air works, which is nice when it is about 85 and raining. The first gas stop, he took on 14 gallons. She took on 8, but then she started with little more than 3/4 of a tank. They had been riding mom and daughter in the Imperial, son and dad in his car. Son decided to move to the Imperial so he could stretch out on the back seat and sleep. The next gas stop, he took on 14, she took on 6. The next gas stop, he took on 14, she skipped it, choosing to roll down the window and rag him. He ran out of gas, and she had to go get him a can of gas. Just to twist his teet, she skipped that one, too, but didn't let the chance to rag him pass. He took on 15. The next gas stop, he took on 13, she took on 18. Cutting it a little close aren't you, Cindy? Strange car that is darned near 50 years old, several hundred miles from home, running on the north side of 80, ragging your husband, and believing the gas gage. The gal has BRASS!!!
So anyhow, they get off the interstate and start running on Illinois 2 lane state roads. It was raining. Those 12 inch wide cheater slicks he was running are just the thing for out dragging your wife from a stoplight. She got ahead of him, and kept him there for 200 miles. It was still daylight when they gave the keys to my wife. I got home about 6 hours later.
He called me and told me that I had ruined his wife for his car. The next year, she had a top of the line 4 door hard top with all the bells and whistles. In his class, there are probably 50 cars, half of which are arguably worthy of 1st or at least 2nd place. Needless to say, he didn't trophy. Her class had 5 cars-she got second. The look of triumph when she picked up her trophy was priceless.
I'm going to have to talk to the administrator, because my picture is in a real old program, and it doesn't respond to the attach a file box.
55BlueHeron
Posted 2008-05-12 10:40 AM (#129636 - in reply to #129017)

Extreme Veteran

Firedome - Yes that is a spring special only color called Heron Blue. This was a trim level upgrade. The upper side trim is off the St. Regis, and the hook shaped trim piece is a spring edition only piece. The interior was also upgraded. My seats are correct. I think that it also came with carpet rather as part of the package.
funnyman
Posted 2008-09-13 10:08 PM (#144699 - in reply to #129017)

Hello. I,m new to this site.
I hope I haven't written too much here.
I've been slowly restoring a '56 Seville 2-door hardtop since late '99 in my spare time. A tow truck driver was contacted to remove a bunch of junk cars at a house in downtown Detroit by two brothers who had inherited the house and cars. The towing guy, by some weird chance, remembered hearing about my friend Henry Clemens of Westland who was into '56 DeSotos. He called him to tell him about this DeSoto that he was about to haul off to the crusher and would he be interested in it. The car shared a dirt floor garage with a '59 T-bird which was sunken up to its axels in mud. The garage was about to fall in on the cars. Hank had the Seville hauled to his home and had plans to make an Adventurer clone out of it but before that could happen he aquired three Pace car convertibles of which he was going to restore one and sell off the others. I bought the Seville from him and decided to leave it a Seville...to embrace its Seville-ness. The car was a real mess with no rocker panels or much of the floors left. It barely qualified as a parts car. ( I could show pictures if anybody wants to see). The floors were covered in chicken and rib bones about three inches deep. I know this because of all the wrappers in the car were from the chicken and rib shack next door which I figured mice and rats were getting from the dumpster and bringing them back to the car. When this car sat in the hot sun with the windows up it stunk up the whole yard if the doors were opened. Anyway, the slow proccess of cleaning the car and bringing it back to life began. Hank replaced the floors and rocker panels and together we replaced the front clip and all the other bad parts, thanks to Hanks vast collection of cars and parts, pieced together a presentable driver. We lost count at forty as the number of cars which contributed parts for this project. Years earlier I had a four door Fireflite that was in even worse condition but had every option. We stripped the car and I put the options away for some day. I decided to add these to the car. The Seville had an auto trans, power steering, deluxe steering wheel and an Instant-Heat ConditionAir to which I added power brakes, power seat, power windows, Custom ConditionAir air conditioning, parking brake light, day-night rearview mirror, rear seat fold down arm rest, twin side mirrors, dual antennas, factory Draw-Tite hitch, Electro-Touch radio with footswitch and rear seat speaker, padded dash, dash clock, HiWay HiFi, visor, drip moulding, Fireflite intake, carb and air cleaner, transmission water cooler, dual exhaust with factory tips, Kanter gas shocks with rear stabilizer bar, twin visor mirrors, trunk light and a few other things that I probably forgot. Aftermarket things I added are a HiWay Eye, traffic light viewer, restored vintage Acme Blue Streak glasspacks, electric curb feelers, trunk solenoid and a modern stereo in the glovebox. Still to come: wire wheels with WWW radials and maybe new springs. We haven't been able to figure out a strange driveline vibration which is keeping it off the road.
By the way, if you look in the October '08 issue of Cars and Parts you'll see a much nicer version than mine with the same colors reversed. Sorry for the long story.

(The_Naggs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments The_Naggs.jpg (126KB - 287 downloads)
1955Coronado
Posted 2008-09-13 10:30 PM (#144700 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

Don't apologize one bit, Rick - that was a hell of a story & it looks like that Seville is in great hands.

Welcome to the site & I hope to see more pics of this awesome DeSoto, especially interior shots. If/when I finally snag the '55 DeSoto that's my moniker here, I plan to do the exact same thing as far as decking her out to the hilt with factory options (except for the A/C - that's going to be modern all the way, over the slight protest of some here ). She already has Powerflite, PS, PB and 4-way P-seat, so not much left to deck her out with.

Fellow by the name of John Fowlie ("big m" here on the forums), who runs what I call a salvage/preservation yard, rescued this and four 1959 DeSotos from southern Oregon this last November. John's been cool as hell to assure me that it's still there and waiting when I'm ready despite my troubles of recent months.

Here she is on the day John rescued her - a 1 of 487 built 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado 4 door sedan - solid as a rock w/minimal rear 1/4 rust and minimal floor rust:

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado before wash2.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado before wash.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado before wash2.jpg (61KB - 281 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado before wash.jpg (65KB - 277 downloads)
funnyman
Posted 2008-09-13 11:04 PM (#144703 - in reply to #144700)

Thanks Mark, The interior is the next thing on my list. Right now I have installed vintage aftermarket seat covers in the box. I found on Ebay.
I also aquired vintage replacement front and rear carpeting in the original box. I'm looking into who can reproduce the correct upolstery and to it I'm adding deluxe armrests with stainless trim, deluxe sill plates, deluxe bright moulding around the front seat base. chrome moulding for the inside front and rear windows, new headliner and repaint the instrument panel. I forgot to mention I added a vintage bull horn and vent window deflectors (which aren't in the photo along with the side mirrors). I can send pictures of the progress and of what it looked like when we first found it. I'm converting the air to work with the new coolant that modern cars use. I also have to detail the engine compartment yet.
That Coronado is a great find. I saw a couple of them up close at the National DeSoto convention when it was held in Frankenmuth, MI a few years ago. It looks like it will clean up real nice even before you restore it. That green color looks similar to mine (which the brochure says it's a light blue really on mine). Don't let that other one get away. I have a friend that's holding a 1959 Philco Predicta T.V. for me for about fifteen years but I suspect I should get it from him before too long.
1955Coronado
Posted 2008-09-13 11:49 PM (#144711 - in reply to #144703)

Expert

funnyman - 2008-09-13 8:04 PM

Thanks Mark, The interior is the next thing on my list. Right now I have installed vintage aftermarket seat covers in the box. I found on Ebay.
I also aquired vintage replacement front and rear carpeting in the original box. I'm looking into who can reproduce the correct upolstery and to it I'm adding deluxe armrests with stainless trim, deluxe sill plates, deluxe bright moulding around the front seat base. chrome moulding for the inside front and rear windows, new headliner and repaint the instrument panel. I forgot to mention I added a vintage bull horn and vent window deflectors (which aren't in the photo along with the side mirrors). I can send pictures of the progress and of what it looked like when we first found it. I'm converting the air to work with the new coolant that modern cars use. I also have to detail the engine compartment yet.
That Coronado is a great find. I saw a couple of them up close at the National DeSoto convention when it was held in Frankenmuth, MI a few years ago. It looks like it will clean up real nice even before you restore it. That green color looks similar to mine (which the brochure says it's a light blue really on mine). Don't let that other one get away. I have a friend that's holding a 1959 Philco Predicta T.V. for me for about fifteen years but I suspect I should get it from him before too long.

For sure - please post those photos for ALL of us to see. Half the fun of these cars is the stories behind 'em.

Yep - factory tri-tone turquoise/white/black that was exclusive to the Coronado in '55. The interior is shot, but relatively intact with its turquoise cloth/white leather (despite the pics, it's 100% complete) - I can only imagine (and maybe cringe a bit) on what it's gonna run to replace that.

You're right about how she cleans up on the outside. Just amazing, all things considered (all brightwork and chrome, John says, is excellent and pit-free) - here's some pics right after John took a soap & scrub to her as well as some interior and rear 1/4 shots:

Edited by 1955Coronado 2008-09-13 11:53 PM

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado after wash.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado after wash2.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado driver quarter.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado passenger quarter.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado int.jpg)

(1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado int2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado after wash.jpg (60KB - 264 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado after wash2.jpg (57KB - 282 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado.jpg (29KB - 285 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado driver quarter.jpg (22KB - 287 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado passenger quarter.jpg (25KB - 338 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado int.jpg (17KB - 281 downloads)
Attachments 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Coronado int2.jpg (35KB - 267 downloads)
funnyman
Posted 2008-09-14 12:14 AM (#144714 - in reply to #144711)

I thought it would clean up nicely. It looks way better than what I started with. The upolstery expense is a little scary. There's so much a person can do on his own but the interior seems to be something most of us psych ourselves out about. It takes a skilled person to handle it. That's why they ask the big bucks.
The Coronado was a one year offering, right? I think the Seville was too, but I heard they introduced it the same time as Cadillac introduced thiers but DeSoto dropped it after one year to avoid litigation. I think DeSoto brought the Seville name back briefly in the spring of '59. I'm not sure why. It will be a little while before I can get more photos up, but soon.
1955Coronado
Posted 2008-09-14 12:42 AM (#144718 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

Good deal, Rick - can't wait to see 'em.

Actually, the Coronado was a springtime option for DeSoto in 1954 (Firedome model - Fireflite wasn't introduced until 1955) and 1955, both only on the top line 4 door sedans (tri-tone paint was available only in 1955 - the 1954 Coronados were exclusively turquoise & white and about twice as rare, with around 250 built).

You're definitely right on the DeSoto Seville - the first FL car I came thisclose to snagging was indeed a white w/blue body sweep 1959 DeSoto Firedome Seville 4 door hardtop. I think Dave (site admin) also has a '56 Firedome Seville.
345 DeSoto
Posted 2008-09-14 9:35 AM (#144737 - in reply to #129017)

Expert

Not much to tell about mine. When I sold off my entire collection, I NEVER should have sold my '55 DeSoto 4 door. It was so quiet and smooth that you'd think it stalled at a stoplight, and the ride was absolutely arm chair comfortable. It was a cheapy that was rescued from an abandoned fly-by-night, here-one-day-gone-the-next used car lot.
I liked the car so much that I went on the Internet and started looking for another. Found a 4 year old Ad for a '55 Sportsman, and just for grins, called. The old gentleman was in the same position as me...too many cars, not enough room, unable to physically work on them anymore. Yes, he STILL had the car. It had been stored indoors for 18 years, had 39,000 miles, and was still for sale. He had put it up fir sale, but nobody called on it...$450! He took Pay pal, so I IMMEDIATELY snagged it! Cost me $850 to have it Shipped from Laguna Beach (originally bought new from Francis Motors in Laguna Beach). When it arrive here in Upstate NY, it still had the original CA black plates on it. In 4 months, it was done...except for the next year when I put the Bone Stock, rebuilt '57 Adventurer engine in it, and had the interior redone...

(DeSoto1.jpg)

(MVC-004F.JPG)

(Engine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DeSoto1.jpg (94KB - 280 downloads)
Attachments MVC-004F.JPG (58KB - 267 downloads)
Attachments Engine.jpg (82KB - 277 downloads)
58Donnie
Posted 2008-09-14 10:01 AM (#144739 - in reply to #129017)

Account Suspended

Well most of you know my car. I haven't taken any new pics since I repainted her because of the fire damage.

But for those who don't know her here is the short version. 57 Savoy with factory bumper wings converted to a 58 Christine clone (the purists hate that).

301 poly with dual 4's
powerflite
about to be a 3.54 posi rear not the stock 3.36 open
Electronic iginition
GM one wire Alternator

I did all the work myself in my shop except for the interior and I wish I had done that to.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
marcar1993
Posted 2008-09-14 1:59 PM (#144758 - in reply to #129017)

Regular

In 1959 my grandpa had a house built for him. he designed the garage to be larger than normal with the expectation of replacing the 49 Plymouth they had. On June 13th 1960, he went to the local dealer, Rossmeyer Chrysler, roughly 5 blocks away, and came home with a brown and white 60 Savoy. The only options it had were 2 tone paint, automatic trans, and A dealer installed mirror. It was the family car until 65 when they bought the Valiant, then the valiant was totaled so they bought a 68. From 68 on, the savoy sat in the driveway. From 69 on, the car was my aunts/ the family backup. She hammered the car. In roughly late 73 early 74 my grandfather planned to junk it, but my dad had different plans. He took over the car. At the time no trim was on the car, most was in the trunk, the trans was held up with wire, and there was considerabe rot. By february 74 it was back on the road, and was my dad's everyday car/restoration project. By 81 he figred out you can't frive it and restore it so he bought a 76 t/a(which he still has and is restored) to drive every day and built a garage in the back yard to house the savoy. It took 15 years, and unfortunatly my dad was screwed on the body work, but it looks a lot better than when he first got it. In 1989, it was finally done.

As for the future. The body shop didn't cut the rust out like they were supposed to, they welded the pathces over the rust, also they didn't prep the car right or spray it right, PLUS they threw away the correct paint my dad gave them and painted it 89 ford brown. So, the body could use to be re-redone, and eventually we would like to redo the seats with the factory twead weave, but at a couple thousand dollars, we can't afford that anytime soon.

Edited by marcar1993 2008-09-14 2:08 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)