The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Make-Up" your Car!
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

sermey
Posted 2009-01-12 5:03 PM (#158679 - in reply to #156081)
Subject: RE: "Make-Up" your Car!

Expert

Car Protection: An Oldtimer is usually at nicest when the restoration has completed. From now it starts to waste. It should be protected where parked for longer periods, even in a Single Garage.

There are many better and more solid Car Covers as the one I use. For Inside Purpose the Cover should absorb sand and dust on both sides, hence no scratches when moving it or hook on the Car; then be partially removable without the need of inter fold, and washable.

I found the “Auto-Pyjama”, 100% Cotton and fitting exactly to the Dodge. Cotton in best for polishing, thus the car will rather be polished than scratched when covering, or rubbing the edges.

The ’59 Dodge Custom Royal has particularly critical Chrome Edges: the Front Eye-Brows and the Rear Fins. When not covered I protect them by coating with an static-adhesive thin Transparent Foil, well known as used in the Kitchen for Foods. Recommended on long Trips at high Speed too, preventing the Eye-Brows to go sandblasted, as happens to the Windshield. This Foil is as well useful for packaging Spare Parts: they are protected and cognizable, no adhesive Tape needed.

Happy to say: After Ten Years since Restoration the Chrome Parts don’t have any Scratches, as the Paint too – the Car has never been polished.

Hint: Best Brilliance on Chrome I get with Glass Cleaner (before Photo-Shootings) – shiny as a Mirror, no Tracks left, and as important not removing any Chrome.:) :)

Edited by sermey 2009-01-13 3:14 AM

(DSC02644L Dust Protected Car.jpg)

(DSC02648L Discovered Right Rear.jpg)

(DSC02655L Shiny Unprotected Eye-Brow.jpg)

(DSC02668L Foil Protected Eye-Brow.jpg)

(DSC02666L Foil Packaged Spare Parts.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02644L Dust Protected Car.jpg (42KB - 660 downloads)
Attachments DSC02648L Discovered Right Rear.jpg (59KB - 691 downloads)
Attachments DSC02655L Shiny Unprotected Eye-Brow.jpg (75KB - 671 downloads)
Attachments DSC02668L Foil Protected Eye-Brow.jpg (72KB - 662 downloads)
Attachments DSC02666L Foil Packaged Spare Parts.jpg (55KB - 664 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2009-01-13 2:02 AM (#158744 - in reply to #156081)
Subject: Re: "Make-Up" your Car!

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

This thread is the most interesting lately! Sermey openly shares his innovative and intelligent tricks for to achieve an improvement. Now surely the hard-core OEM guys wont change a thing on their cars, but I will use some of the hints in my car. Thank you Sermey!
sermey
Posted 2009-01-13 3:29 AM (#158746 - in reply to #158744)

Expert

Thank you Swen. You said correctly as is the rule: "The hard-core OEM guys wont change a thing on their cars".

Most "improvements" can easily be restored to its Original, even at the place. Others are not visible at all, many are for the personal comfort and security.  But I agree with them: at a glance the Car should show up as Original - and it does when required.

On the other side: "The (Car-) Show must go on!" - SERGE -

Edited by sermey 2009-01-13 3:43 AM
sermey
Posted 2009-01-13 2:37 PM (#158799 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Rear Lamps: The Sockets got stainless / rustfree Bolts (M5) fixed by a counter-nut. The assembled Unit is mounted with Wing Nuts (no Tools required). The Lenses got rustfree Thread Screws (M4) too, the Self-Cutting Screws could brake the Lenses locally. As Gasket I used Rubber Sealing O-Rings, leading outside the two Mounting Screws.Two diametric notches have to be grinded as illustrated (Ring: external Diameter 85mm, Thickness 5mm). So, the O-Rings fit and seal as Originals.

I was always fascinated by the broad Rear Lamps on American Cars. As Youngster I could guess the Cars Make at Night, just by their Rear Lights. On my American Cars I wanted more: a Bright Red Glow. I painted the Reflectors from Silver to White, dispersed the Bulbs Light over the Surface of the Lenses, and removed the bright Spot of the Bulbs by a Sticker. On the ‘59 Dodge I wanted a similar Glow Effect.

First I convert the two Back Lights into Stop/Directional Lights by changing the Lenses and the Wiring accordingly. The Back Lights, anyway at the wrong Place for a useable Light, I moved under the Rear Bumpers, in mounting two adjustable, contemporary Chrome Lamps. These Back Lamps gives a wide white Light where needed to see at Night when parking. Beside the Exhaust Outlets I find their aspect nice and discreet (see earlier Pics).

To reduce the Spot Effect of the Bulbs I clamped a Light Dispersing Foil inside on the Lenses Surface (Folder available in any Office Shop).

Now, the Red Light got a Glowing Effect, another Eye-Catcher at the Night Cruise.

Hint: For a homogenous Red Light the Lenses should be from the same Production Batch.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-13 3:41 PM

(DSC02693lL Rear Lamp Unit.jpg)

(DSC02691L Zoomed View.jpg)

(DSC02684L Rear Lamp Trunk View.jpg)

(DSC02703L Notched Seal O-Ring.jpg)

(DSC02707L Dispersion of the Spot.jpg)

(DSC02673L Rear Glow.jpg)

(DSC02677L Zoomed Rear Glow.jpg)

(DSC00023L Bright Stop Light.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02693lL Rear Lamp Unit.jpg (66KB - 673 downloads)
Attachments DSC02691L Zoomed View.jpg (68KB - 673 downloads)
Attachments DSC02684L Rear Lamp Trunk View.jpg (123KB - 643 downloads)
Attachments DSC02703L Notched Seal O-Ring.jpg (66KB - 640 downloads)
Attachments DSC02707L Dispersion of the Spot.jpg (43KB - 650 downloads)
Attachments DSC02673L Rear Glow.jpg (65KB - 649 downloads)
Attachments DSC02677L Zoomed Rear Glow.jpg (70KB - 663 downloads)
Attachments DSC00023L Bright Stop Light.jpg (89KB - 658 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2009-01-13 5:56 PM (#158831 - in reply to #158799)

Expert 5K+

Very nice effect with the dispersion material. It doesn't seem to dim the overall output at all. Did you put the dispersion material just on the sides of the lens or on the back as well? What did you use to attach it there?
sermey
Posted 2009-01-14 2:14 AM (#158884 - in reply to #158831)

Expert

Powerflite - 2009-01-13 11:56 PM Very nice effect with the dispersion material. It doesn't seem to dim the overall output at all. Did you put the dispersion material just on the sides of the lens or on the back as well? What did you use to attach it there?

About Dim: This is comparable to an opaque and a transparent Home Bulb, both 25W or 40W. Must check for the best Foil, there are various thickness and surfaces.

Attaching: Inside the Lenses the reinforcement for the two screws goes all along. There need two Foils, on one side and on the other side, round bent and just clamped in between. Cut the first “on the job” to lie against the Lenses Inside Surface, then copy all others. On the Back nothing, no considerable improvement. Can put a small white Sticker on Top of the Bulb to remove the bright Spots, see Pic: Bright Stop Lamp. Sorry, could not remove the Lenses for shootings -> fixed and risk to brake.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-14 2:29 AM
sermey
Posted 2009-01-14 10:59 AM (#158925 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Car Height: Lifting or lowering a Car, there are many Opinions and Preferences. It depends on the Car too, and how the Design with the Side Mouldings already influences the Aspect.

On the ‘59 Dodge I found best to be about  flat, but never lower on the Rear. Thus, I set the Rear to be 3cm Higher than the Front (as all previous Pics), measured on the Side Moulding, Front at their End and Rear over the Wheel. The lowest Front Height was given by the Tires (235/70/15) just not touching the Wheel House when the Steering is fully turned to one Side. With the Air-Controlled Shock Absorbers I could lift the Car to the desired Rear Height. The Air Valve for the setting is intended to be mounted beside the Fuel Port, I left it in the Trunk near the Antenna.

For your own Consideration: I have lifted my Car on the Computer - other Prospects!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-14 11:12 AM

(DSC02710L Adjustable Shock Absorber.jpg)

(DSC02728L Air Valve.jpg)

(DSC00044L Rear 3cm Lifted.jpg)

(DSC00044L All Lifted.jpg)

(DSC00044L All Lowered .jpg)

(DSC00044L Rear Lowered.jpg)

(DSC00044L Rear Lifted.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02710L Adjustable Shock Absorber.jpg (56KB - 668 downloads)
Attachments DSC02728L Air Valve.jpg (41KB - 634 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L Rear 3cm Lifted.jpg (70KB - 630 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L All Lifted.jpg (71KB - 672 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L All Lowered .jpg (67KB - 684 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L Rear Lowered.jpg (69KB - 701 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L Rear Lifted.jpg (71KB - 646 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-15 7:22 PM (#159105 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Removing Pits: When I purchased my Dodge the Pot Metal Parts have been rechromed over the Pits. Fortunately I could interchange all these Parts to a non restored Coronet. The owner was happy to get for free newly rechromed Parts, I too to have the Originals.

When removing Pits it is important that the Geometry remains waveless and as Original. If not, any unevenness will be visible when mirroring. I wanted all my Chrome Parts to be “mirror-proof” and flawless.

I don’t know how others remove Pits, so I did it my way. But first all the Chrome and the Nickel on the items had to be removed (galvanic).

1a Punching with Peening Tool: Take an adjustable Point Puncher and round the Point (3mm). On the Rear Side of the Pit to be removed mark a black Spot (Permanent Marker). Hold the item flat on a hard Wood Surface and punch on the Mark until the Pit has disappeared. Adjust the Puncher Force for at least 5 Punches needed. When the other Side has buckled out about 0.1-0.2mm, the Surface can be leveled by using an ultra fine Rasp (no Abrasives). Then polish, but only when the Geometry is corrected.

1b Spinning with Crusher: This modified Tool is intended for Pits not accessible with the Peening Tool, as some Surfaces under the Eye-Brows. The Rounding and the Height of the interchangeable Steel Nails can be changed as needed. Leveling and polishing as described.

2a Filling with Tin: Chrome and Nickel already removed, let apply a strong Copper Plating. Then put the item on the Cooker (kitchen), adjust the Thermostat to be about 140 Degree, and now with an Electric Tin Solder heath locally until melting, applying flux and tin (0.3mm /180deg, as used for micro electronics) just as much as needed to fill the Pit. Then remove the Solder instantly and go to the next Pit. When all is done, level the Surface as described, and copper-plate for the Finish.

2b Filling with Paste: As in 2a, the Surface needs a Replating with Copper to be cleaned in the Pits. Then, instead of Tin,  fill the Pits with a electrical conductive Paste (3M), similar as used for rechroming Plastics  and proceed as decribed.

Microscopic best I found the first three Methods when possible, because of the all Metallic Transition. In some cases a Combination of them is needed.

Once started and experienced with, it worked better than imagined. The final Brilliance of the item, when Nickel and Chrome plated, is given by the polishing of the last Copper Plating. This is most important Section for a brillant track-free Chrome. For that reason I have polished myself all Parts. For the Rear Lamp Sockets I did an Adapter to mount them on the Drilling Machine for grinding out thes many Pits. These maNot having Internet and eBay at this time I could not buy NOS Parts. Even these Parts are mostly minor pittet and have to be restored. Anyway, a good and friendly Relationship with the Galvanic Man is required.

The Chrome Parts on the Pics above show how the Geometry is restored to its Original, a flat undistorted mirroring surface all around!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-16 2:10 AM

(DSC02738L Adjustable Punch Markers.jpg)

(DSC02734L Pointed & Rounded.jpg)

(DSC02743L Modified Crusher.jpg)

(DSC02742L Inserts Roofing Nails.jpg)

(Rear Emblem L.jpg)

(Side Moulding L.jpg)

(Rear Lamp Sockets L.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02738L Adjustable Punch Markers.jpg (51KB - 663 downloads)
Attachments DSC02734L Pointed & Rounded.jpg (52KB - 619 downloads)
Attachments DSC02743L Modified Crusher.jpg (34KB - 678 downloads)
Attachments DSC02742L Inserts Roofing Nails.jpg (49KB - 664 downloads)
Attachments Rear Emblem L.jpg (61KB - 640 downloads)
Attachments Side Moulding L.jpg (81KB - 646 downloads)
Attachments Rear Lamp Sockets L.jpg (81KB - 657 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-16 2:36 PM (#159205 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Directional Flasher: It had happened to me some times, driving in my Topless Convertible to the Highway, and the activated Directional Flasher not turned off. Because of the bright Sunlight I neither could see the Green Flashing Lamps on the Instruments Panel, nor could hear the Flasher switching under the Dashboard due to the Streets Noise.

1. I connected a Miniature Buzzer (+12V) to the Input Port (red) and Output Port (blue) of the Directional Flasher. This Flasher Output leads to the Directional Switch on the Steering Wheel, and then to the corresponding Lamps, left or right. The Buzzer will sound anytime when the Flasher Switch is open and the Directional Switch ON, means in opposite Cycle as the Lamps.

When an electronic Flasher Unit (not a bi-metal) in used, then connect the Buzzer to the Output Port of the Flasher (red) and to the Ground (blue). 

2. The Buzzer can directly be attached to both Wires leading to the Directional Lamps too. Because it is a DC (Direct Current) Device, a Full Wave Rectifier (50V/200mA or higher)) must be pre-connected. It turns the Supply Voltage in any Direction to the correct Polarity. Even when there is one commun Bulb for Directional and Brake, as most Cars had at this time, the Buzzer will sound only when only one Side is ON. Thus when braking there is no Voltage across the two Wires of the ON Lamps, and of course no buzzing.

The Loudness is adjusted acoustically by wrapping something around the Buzzer and / or by hiding it under the Dashboard. To know: the bi-metal Flasher is short-circuit at no Current.

Now, the Buzzer produces a well-known intermitting alert, audible even in noisy ambient, no need to check the Instruments Panel, a relaxed Concentration on the Traffic.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-17 2:00 AM

(DSC02784L Rectifier & Buzzer.jpg)

(DSC02785L Wiring Diagram.jpg)

(DSC02747L Left Directional Light ON.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02784L Rectifier & Buzzer.jpg (58KB - 705 downloads)
Attachments DSC02785L Wiring Diagram.jpg (68KB - 690 downloads)
Attachments DSC02747L Left Directional Light ON.jpg (63KB - 704 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-17 12:50 PM (#159308 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Rear Center Brake Light: The new four glowing Rear Lamps instead originally two of them I still found insufficient for a Show-Effect, namely at Night. The next way was to add a Center Brake Light. The demands on this Feature, should:

- match to the body in Size and Color as designed for

- be easy to remove at anytime and at the place

- not leave any Marks when taken off

- show an intense Red Light in the same shade as the other Rear Lamps.

Among many offered Kits I selected the best matching one.I lowered the Lamp Unit by removing the bottoms Body, attached two springy mounting Brackets in thin Stainless Steel inside connected to the Minus of the Bulbs, and then painted the Body in the Cars Color.

The Lamp Unit is fixed by two Screws for the Tops Cover. The springy Pression of the Brackets hold it tight on the Cars Surface. Pushing by side the Center Chrome Coupling of the Mouldings there is access to the single wire leading to the Rear Brake Lamp, as Power Supply. To know: When there is a combined Lamp for Directional and Brake, as most Car had at this time, then the Supply should be branched directly to the Brake Light Switch.

Now, all initial demands could be completed. This additional Feature is another attractive Eye-Catcher and improves the Cars Show-Effect by an exciting Red Glow when braking. Another item instantly removable to its Original!

(my Digital Camera doesn’t like this high Contrast Bright Red!)

Edited by sermey 2009-01-17 1:30 PM

(DSC02803L Brake Light Unit Top View.jpg)

(DSC02799L Brake Light Unit Rear View.jpg)

(DSC02804L Brake Light Unit Ready for Mount.jpg)

(DSC02794L Brake Light Unit Connected.jpg)

(DSC02788 Brake Light Unit Mounted.jpg)

(DSC02786L Center Brake Light ON.jpg)

(DSC00001L Brake Lamps Side View.jpg)

(DSC00007L Night Lights.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02803L Brake Light Unit Top View.jpg (28KB - 663 downloads)
Attachments DSC02799L Brake Light Unit Rear View.jpg (62KB - 714 downloads)
Attachments DSC02804L Brake Light Unit Ready for Mount.jpg (38KB - 706 downloads)
Attachments DSC02794L Brake Light Unit Connected.jpg (54KB - 688 downloads)
Attachments DSC02788 Brake Light Unit Mounted.jpg (33KB - 713 downloads)
Attachments DSC02786L Center Brake Light ON.jpg (45KB - 676 downloads)
Attachments DSC00001L Brake Lamps Side View.jpg (79KB - 674 downloads)
Attachments DSC00007L Night Lights.jpg (71KB - 676 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-18 12:17 PM (#159427 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Tag Plate: On a nice Car the License Plate should be as nice, for most people look at this. The Expert however is interested in the Tag Plate. This Plate is as the Birth Certificate of the Car, an important integral Part and merits to be cared. What a Problem when this Plate is missing, I just read in another Thread!

When restoring a Car, many paint over the Tag Plate. Made in Aluminum, a polishing gives an additional decorative Character. It can be anodized in any Colors as illustrated. This Golden would better match to another Paint. (the lower Shadow is the Hood Reflection). For a fix mount I used Aluminum Rivets instead of Screws, polished too. Small effort, nice Effect.

Now, at the first glance the Expert will get an excellent Impression of the Car, the next Look at the Tag Plate he will be positively surprised!!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-18 12:31 PM

(DSC02817L Tag Plate.jpg)

(DSC01376L Polished Tag Plate.jpg)

(DSC01376L Anodized Tag Plate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02817L Tag Plate.jpg (48KB - 682 downloads)
Attachments DSC01376L Polished Tag Plate.jpg (46KB - 682 downloads)
Attachments DSC01376L Anodized Tag Plate.jpg (59KB - 666 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-21 7:36 AM (#159796 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Hood Isolation: Many Hoods comes with poor or even with no Isolation at all. Knocking on the Hood is an acoustical Check how the Hood is isolated. Isolation means damping of Drumming due to Vibrations and Motor Noise, but will isolate from Heath too.

I put an Isolation of a today Car, usually made in one piece, for they are heath resistant and attenuate the Noise considerably. To keep the Design of the Under Hood the Isolation is cut in Segments to fit in and then glue them on. Take your attention to the upper Rubber Strip. This prevents hot Air Circulation from the Engine Compartment turning back to the Cooler when the Car stands idling. (the white shadows are sunshine reflections of the Air Cleaner and others)

Must see and hear the Difference!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-21 10:46 AM

(DSC00069L Hood Isolation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00069L Hood Isolation.jpg (109KB - 682 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-21 1:34 PM (#159822 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Radiator Cap: Many small polished items enhance the Status of a Car. Here some visible Distinctions more. Just to see.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-21 4:02 PM

(DSC00079L Polished Radiator &-Steering Pump Cap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00079L Polished Radiator &-Steering Pump Cap.jpg (86KB - 694 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-25 5:25 AM (#160332 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Convertible Top: A white Top is nice for any Bodys Color – except for white. Because Top and Body in white never match exactly, one will always appear as dirty. Thus, I switched to a black Top, matching best to my black/white Interior.

Due to the slanted Rear Back Seats I had to do minor Modifications on the Tops Mechanic. Simultaneously I lowered it for Top DOWN Position, to reduce the old fashioned “carriage” Look. By modifying the arms in shape, length and crops, the Mechanics went considerably lower, resulting only +1.5cm to the Height of the Body Sides with mounted Top (see earlier Pics of the Car too). As the Picture shows, now there is just enough room for the Top behind the slanted Rear Back Seats.

Modified, complementary croped Arms for lowering the Mechanics are illustrated. The left and the right side Arms must have identical mirrored shape. To protect the Top, all Edges of the Main Arms are rounded (for the finish use abrasive paper at Top UP). Customized Stainless Screws and Nylon Bushings with borders (to put between the Arms) assure a frictionless, inaudible and smooth Operation, no needing oil lubrication. Another functional and visible improvement!

To know: Important for lowest Top DOWN and minor Wrinkles is a carefully correct folding. This needs about 2 – 3 Steps. The Vinyl Window I left always closed at Top DOWN. Without Top and the Cylinders disconnected, the Mechanics should be moved easily up and down by hand. The Top DOWN Height then is lower than the Body Sides.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-25 4:49 PM

(DSC02856L Modified Top Screws and Bushings.jpg)

(DSC02849L Modified Croped Arm.jpg)

(DSC02936L Other Side Main Arm Crop.jpg)

(DSC02851L Top Lifted.jpg)

(DSC02825L Top DOWN Folded.jpg)

(DSC02828L Top full DOWN in Side Panel.jpg)

(DSC00082L Lowered Top Covered.jpg)

(DSC00096L Top Up Back View.jpg)

(DSC00094L Top UP.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02856L Modified Top Screws and Bushings.jpg (63KB - 687 downloads)
Attachments DSC02849L Modified Croped Arm.jpg (66KB - 633 downloads)
Attachments DSC02936L Other Side Main Arm Crop.jpg (72KB - 633 downloads)
Attachments DSC02851L Top Lifted.jpg (64KB - 665 downloads)
Attachments DSC02825L Top DOWN Folded.jpg (89KB - 672 downloads)
Attachments DSC02828L Top full DOWN in Side Panel.jpg (82KB - 663 downloads)
Attachments DSC00082L Lowered Top Covered.jpg (54KB - 651 downloads)
Attachments DSC00096L Top Up Back View.jpg (96KB - 672 downloads)
Attachments DSC00094L Top UP.jpg (86KB - 668 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-25 4:33 PM (#160402 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Fuse Box: When I switched from the Generator (30A) to an Alternator (60A) it was obvious to install two new Fuse Boxes. I went sick to search the hidden Fuses under the Dashboard for a replacement, not seeing anything. Then I changed the Wires to double Diameter. The new Fuse Boxes use Color encoded Fuses, easy to remove with the special Tool. I mounted them on the left front Wheelhouse for direct access, first both on a metal bar, then this unit with two longer screws from center to the body, as can see on the last Pic. All "fused" cables leading underneath invisible to the thick Wire Channel, then to the Instruments Panel. The transparent Covers with Rubber Seals make them water proof and allow an instant visual Check of the Fuses.

The One-Wire Alternator allow a simple wiring: from the Alternator to the First Fuse Box, then leading the wire (yellow) through the Ampere Gauge in the Instruments Panel, then back (red) to the Second Fuse Box, and finally ending at the Battery (+). The First Box supplies all items needed to be measured, the second one the momentary High Current items directly from the Battery, not measured such as Starter, Power Windows, Convertible Top, needing Fuse Values up to 40A. The new Voltage Regulator is still there but not connected.

Now, at a "Black-Out" by a defective Fuse: just lift the Hood, look at the Fuses and replace the defective one!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-26 8:29 AM

(DSC02890L One Wire Alternator.jpg)

(DSC02967L Wiring Diagram.jpg)

(DSC02963L Tool & Color Coded Fuses.jpg)

(DSC02966L Rubber Sealed Fuse Box Covers.jpg)

(DSC02959L Opened Fuse Boxes.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02890L One Wire Alternator.jpg (82KB - 620 downloads)
Attachments DSC02967L Wiring Diagram.jpg (49KB - 622 downloads)
Attachments DSC02963L Tool & Color Coded Fuses.jpg (56KB - 670 downloads)
Attachments DSC02966L Rubber Sealed Fuse Box Covers.jpg (61KB - 601 downloads)
Attachments DSC02959L Opened Fuse Boxes.jpg (81KB - 646 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-28 11:33 AM (#160785 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

1959 Dodge HubCaps Paint: As the ConvertibleTop I got the HubCaps in white Color. White painted HubCaps are nice for any Bodys Color – except for white. Because HubCaps as the Convertible Top white never match exactly, one will always appear as dirty. Thus, I switched to black HubCaps, matching best to my black/white Interior.

First I removed the old outworn Paint by a solvent. Then I polished all the HubCaps Surface for a new look. Masking around all the many squares and then spraying in black, there was no chance to get a satisfactory result. I had to find another solution, already mentioned in an earlier post. I made Steel Stamping Tools for the two Square Sizes and stamped manually Stickers from professional, all weather-proof adhesive Material, as used for long lasting Outdoor Promotion on Cars. The same I did with the Center of the Spinners.

Now, the “new paint” has all around sharply defined Edges as never feasible with Paint, the Squares are identical, and they can be washed free of damage. At a Glance, the HubCaps look as new and never used, another nice Upgrade of every 1959 Dodge. :)

To know: Just now I got a limited Quantity of Precision Laser-Cut Stickers and offer them at first to FWL-Members. A Set, in White or in Black, fitting four HubCaps (314 Square + 6 Knight Stickers, Application), covering costs ($30.00 + $10 Package & Shipment, PayPal sermey@bluewin.ch).

Edited by sermey 2009-01-28 12:29 PM

(DSC00058L Old Outworn Paint.jpg)

(DSC02977L Stamping Tools.jpg)

(DSC02970L CAD Design A4.jpg)

(DSC00025L White Center Sticker.jpg)

(DSC01930L Black Stickers.jpg)

(DSC02972L Black Center Sticker.jpg)

(DSC02975L All Stickers on HubCap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00058L Old Outworn Paint.jpg (65KB - 624 downloads)
Attachments DSC02977L Stamping Tools.jpg (58KB - 611 downloads)
Attachments DSC02970L CAD Design A4.jpg (84KB - 627 downloads)
Attachments DSC00025L White Center Sticker.jpg (103KB - 610 downloads)
Attachments DSC01930L Black Stickers.jpg (80KB - 651 downloads)
Attachments DSC02972L Black Center Sticker.jpg (90KB - 584 downloads)
Attachments DSC02975L All Stickers on HubCap.jpg (76KB - 636 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-29 9:32 AM (#160939 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Automatic Beam-Changer: This Option was not on my Car when purchased. One day I found solely the Original Sensor Module, and I thought: “Why not?”

I designed a Transistor Trigger Circuit, soldered on a Board and mount under the Dashboard for direct access. A Printed Circuit Board (PCB) would have a quarter of Size. To eliminate the often discussed Flashing in Operate Mode, I set a higher Hysteresis (= Difference between ON – OFF Transition) and a longer ON Time-Constant (10 millisec for Beam OFF, +2 sec for Beam ON), as a manual Switching. The preset of the Sensitivity is done by the Trimmer on the Circuit Board (not visible), directing in the Garage a Pocket Lamp to the Beamer Unit to simulate the Light of an oncoming Car. The fine Adjustment when driving by turning the rear Knob on the Sensor Unit.

Now, the Automatic Headlight Control works excellently, but still remains critical in some Light Conditions due to the limited Viewing Angle of the Photo-Cell. Another Optional Equipment, not necessarily needed, but always nice to have. :

To know: the Automatic Inside Mirror  -  MirrorMatic uses the same basic circuit, both use the same Vacuum Tube 12k5. A PCB Transistor Circuit would fit in this Housing, or the Tube could simply be substituted by adequate Transistors, directly plug in the Tube Socket (12V Operation).

Edited by sermey 2009-01-29 9:51 AM

(1 Ross Roy - Automatic Beam-Changer L.jpg)

(2 DSC03002L Transistor Circuit & Relais.jpg)

(3 DSC02982L Beamer Unit .jpg)

(4 DSC03000L Beamer OverView.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 Ross Roy - Automatic Beam-Changer L.jpg (54KB - 653 downloads)
Attachments 2 DSC03002L Transistor Circuit & Relais.jpg (89KB - 628 downloads)
Attachments 3 DSC02982L Beamer Unit .jpg (47KB - 651 downloads)
Attachments 4 DSC03000L Beamer OverView.jpg (81KB - 668 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-30 7:08 PM (#161163 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Dimmer Switch: Even when not directly visible, this Switch can easy be upgraded just by putting a Rubber Cap (not Plastic, Bore Dia. 22mm x 20), as used for Chairs.

Now, the covered Knob not only looks more discreet and similar to the Windshield Washer Pad, applying the Dimmer Switch feels much more comfortable. Comparing both Pictures it even seems, without the Rubber Cap something is missing. A quite simply improvement for any Oldtimer!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-31 4:39 AM

(DSC03036L Rubber Cap.jpg)

(DSC03051L Original Dimmer Switch.jpg)

(DSC03050L Dimmer Switch with Rubber Cap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC03036L Rubber Cap.jpg (39KB - 630 downloads)
Attachments DSC03051L Original Dimmer Switch.jpg (67KB - 660 downloads)
Attachments DSC03050L Dimmer Switch with Rubber Cap.jpg (67KB - 655 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-31 2:59 PM (#161251 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Sun Visors: On a Convertible the Sun Visors have an additional Function. In slightly higher than in horizontal Position they can reduce the Turbulences at open Top, acting as a virtual Extension of the Windshield. Then they are additionally exposed to a displacement.

To tighten a hanging Sun Visor, pull it out (may need some force), put in a parallel vice between two plane planks, protect it as illustrated, then squeeze a little bit in several steps until fixed enough.

Now, the Sun Visors remain in any circumstances at the preset Position.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-31 3:04 PM

(DSC03074L Removed Sun Visor.jpg)

(DSC03069L Retense The Sun Visor.jpg)

(DSC03068L Sun Visor Up.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC03074L Removed Sun Visor.jpg (49KB - 632 downloads)
Attachments DSC03069L Retense The Sun Visor.jpg (71KB - 634 downloads)
Attachments DSC03068L Sun Visor Up.jpg (78KB - 627 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-02-01 7:44 AM (#161298 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

15” Wheels and Tires: I always found, 14” Wheels on my Car are relatively too small and look poor in Proportion to the Body and its Wheelhouse. Must say, this was the Style at this time.

The other Point, bigger and wider Tires have much better Adhesion on the Street, the 235/70/15 Radial Tires about +25% in Comparison to the Original 14” Diagonal ones. This improvement is necessarily needed for a full Advantage of Disk Brakes. Thus, I decided in favor of 15” Wheels and the corresponding WWW Tires, still keeping the Original 14” Wheel Set including the Spinner Hubcaps. In order to keep the Original Appearance, the Original HubCaps should fit to the 15” Rims.

I bought 15” decorative stainless Rings, cut out the Border around, and soldered it inside the Wheel Cover. For a stronger Fixing on the rechromed Wheels I increased the Clamp Pression by putting a soft round PVC Profile under the Clamps.

Now, the Hubcaps fit perfectly to the 15” Rims, their Edges are even protected from Curbstones due to the inner Position, and the Air Valve is perfectly centered as well. According my personal feeling, this Wheel Size gives the Car its settled Proportions. Another improvement of the Outfit, for the Drivers Security, and as an additional Benefit the Wheel Cover Edge Protection.

(can see, my HubCaps are not perfect, but polished and with the sticked Black they look as)

Edited by sermey 2009-02-01 12:24 PM

(Original Wheel and Parking Lamp.jpg)

(1 DSC00001L Coker Tires 235-70-15.jpg)

(2 DSC03078L 15 Inch Decorative Stainless Rings.jpg)

(3 DSC00051L Soldered 15 Inch Ring.jpg)

(4 DSC03081L Inner Border of HubCap.jpg)

(5 DSCN0012L 15 Inch Wheel Assembled.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Original Wheel and Parking Lamp.jpg (73KB - 651 downloads)
Attachments 1 DSC00001L Coker Tires 235-70-15.jpg (101KB - 643 downloads)
Attachments 2 DSC03078L 15 Inch Decorative Stainless Rings.jpg (67KB - 620 downloads)
Attachments 3 DSC00051L Soldered 15 Inch Ring.jpg (68KB - 592 downloads)
Attachments 4 DSC03081L Inner Border of HubCap.jpg (89KB - 619 downloads)
Attachments 5 DSCN0012L 15 Inch Wheel Assembled.jpg (97KB - 617 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-12-04 5:00 PM (#199485 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

obsolete

Edited by sermey 2009-12-04 5:07 PM
sermey
Posted 2009-12-04 5:00 PM (#199486 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Dome Nuts and Caps: These devices remove optically bad nuts, covers them or even protect them. Dome Nuts in polished stainless steel may appear as small diamonds.

A low-cost "Jewel+ for your car! - SERGE -  :laugh:

(01 Dome Nuts - Caps DSC03156.jpg)

(02 DomeCap DSC03154.jpg)

(03 DomeNuts Connector DSC00632a.jpg)

(04 DomeNuts Induction Coil.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 01 Dome Nuts - Caps DSC03156.jpg (48KB - 630 downloads)
Attachments 02 DomeCap DSC03154.jpg (53KB - 626 downloads)
Attachments 03 DomeNuts Connector DSC00632a.jpg (55KB - 610 downloads)
Attachments 04 DomeNuts Induction Coil.jpg (79KB - 600 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-12-06 5:36 AM (#199675 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Plugged Instruments and Speedometer Units: Working on this Units, what ever the brand of the car, was always a mess for not scratching the painted surrounding, interrupt unintentionally a connection, produce accidentally a short-circuit (when battery unplugged) and even to fix them when working. On newer cars the Units can be removed by unplugging many cables. On our FL-cars, except for the lamps, most cables are fixed.

To avoid these problems, before restoring the gauges, I did these Units pluggable by a multiple pin connector. First I replaced all wires by 50cm long, flexible ones at adequate profile and different colors. When tested I assembled them to a common harness, then cut it and inserted a high current, multiple pin connector. For the most important wires (GND and +12V), delivering the main power, I used two pins in parallel, all pins being soldered. On the Instuments Unit the harness-outlet was set behind the headlamp-switch for an easy turn away to the right side (in the pics folded for re-install the unit).

The remaining connections to remove individually are the speedometer cable, the oil pressure hose and the clock adjustment cable. The ammeter loop, with the cable leading from the one wire alternator to the battery, got a separate interconnection (100A). The thinner black cables leeds to the battery-box (Type 1.5V, UM-6) just deposit under the dashboard for the quartzed clock, working non-stop since already 4 years. On the Speedometer Unit, the brown capton-adhesive tape fixes the fine wires for the four green Micro-LEDs set on the glass end face for an additional impressive illumination of the speed numbers (see Pic above in "Directional Flasher").

Now, a stressfree comfortable handling of the Instruments is possible, beside the dashboard or on a working table! – SERGE - ;)  ;

Edited by sermey 2009-12-06 11:00 AM

(2009-04-23 DSC03212 Speedometer Unit.jpg)

(2009-04-23 DSC03206 Front Instruments Panel.jpg)

(2009-04-23 DSC03205 Rear Instruments Panel.jpg)

(2009-04-23 DSC03204 View Under Dashboard.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2009-04-23 DSC03212 Speedometer Unit.jpg (58KB - 583 downloads)
Attachments 2009-04-23 DSC03206 Front Instruments Panel.jpg (82KB - 596 downloads)
Attachments 2009-04-23 DSC03205 Rear Instruments Panel.jpg (88KB - 610 downloads)
Attachments 2009-04-23 DSC03204 View Under Dashboard.jpg (129KB - 616 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2010-02-13 4:36 PM (#209364 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Rechromed Substitute Parts: On the market there are many rechromed parts available as substitutes, additional eye-catchers. Here two samples.

The Generator Bracket. Fits directly. For a nicer look can be shortened for best match, as I did here.

The Oil DipStick with the Tube. I bent the tube according the position I liked. Then, unfortunately the Oil DipStick couldn't be inserted anymore in the tube. Easy trick: Just twist it! :laugh:   - SERGE -

(Rechromed Generator Braket LL.jpg)

(Rechromed Distributor HoldDown LL.jpg)

(Rechromed Oil DipStick LL.jpg)

(Rechromed Oil DipStick Twisted LL.jpg)

(Rechromed DipStick in Tube LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Rechromed Generator Braket LL.jpg (92KB - 605 downloads)
Attachments Rechromed Distributor HoldDown LL.jpg (75KB - 614 downloads)
Attachments Rechromed Oil DipStick LL.jpg (64KB - 593 downloads)
Attachments Rechromed Oil DipStick Twisted LL.jpg (40KB - 608 downloads)
Attachments Rechromed DipStick in Tube LL.jpg (97KB - 581 downloads)
1959 Belvedere Conv
Posted 2010-02-13 8:49 PM (#209388 - in reply to #156081)

Elite Veteran

Serge, You have a beautiful well detailed car. You should go back in time an be a stylist for Chrysler back in the Forward Look days. Though my 59 Plymouth convert is not at your higher trim level, I will use a lot of the detail points to bring out the best in my instrument panel.

PS I have never seen here in the States Dupli-color in the RAL color system. I am in the electrical business now (20 years )and we use the RAL paint system for coloring large electrical enclosures. I will have to see if they market these RAL colors in the US of A. It would help me a lot in getting touch up paint.

sermey
Posted 2010-02-15 10:33 AM (#209646 - in reply to #209388)

Expert

1959 Belvedere Conv - 2010-02-14 2:49 AM Serge, You have a beautiful well detailed car. You should go back in time an be a stylist for Chrysler back in the Forward Look days. Though my 59 Plymouth convert is not at your higher trim level, I will use a lot of the detail points to bring out the best in my instrument panel. PS I have never seen here in the States Dupli-color in the RAL color system. I am in the electrical business now (20 years )and we use the RAL paint system for coloring large electrical enclosures. I will have to see if they market these RAL colors in the US of A. It would help me a lot in getting touch up paint.

Thank you, John. Every one has his own talents. We all have got them for free. The ones uses them more, the others less. I think, most owner of an oldtimer will find and trim his car to a higher level, as soon he has done all needed restorations. Owning just one car is much easier.

The RAL Colors are well defined Color Standards and available on a CD, indicating the RGB (Red-Green-Blue) percents, awell known by  Photoshop-Users. Thus, any RAL Color can be mixed accordingly, and get exactly the same tone.

Edited by sermey 2010-02-15 10:49 AM
sermey
Posted 2010-02-15 10:39 AM (#209647 - in reply to #209364)

Expert

Oil Cap on Valve Cover: This is another part that can be directly replaced by a similar rechromed one, also available on the market.
Here I preferred to keep the Original Cap of the 1959 DODGE with the script "OIL" on top. Bevor rechroming, the steel filter preventing oil to leak on the valve cover, has to be removed. It can be replaced by a rough stainless steel wool, as used for cleaning pans, inserted with a long-nosed plier. A fine steel Wool would clog when oily and prevent the needed air breathing.

Valve Cover: There are as well rechromed valve covers available, What you see are the rechromed originals. To rechrome with polishing costs more than than a replacement. - SERGE -

Edited by sermey 2010-02-15 1:14 PM

(1959 Original Rechromed Oil Cap LL.jpg)

(Oil Cap Stainless Steel Wool LL.jpg)

(361 Oil Cap on Valve Cover LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1959 Original Rechromed Oil Cap LL.jpg (55KB - 711 downloads)
Attachments Oil Cap Stainless Steel Wool LL.jpg (66KB - 742 downloads)
Attachments 361 Oil Cap on Valve Cover LL.jpg (126KB - 745 downloads)
1959Dodge
Posted 2010-02-15 1:22 PM (#209657 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Nice job on the car "Make up". Maybe when you are done, we can switch cars for a while and you can do mine.
Or you could come out here, weather is great today, probably be close to 30C so come here, I give ya free room and board, while you update the makeup on ny car!!!

Gary
sermey
Posted 2010-02-17 11:10 AM (#210069 - in reply to #209388)

Expert

1959 Belvedere Conv - 2010-02-14 2:49 AM Serge, You have a beautiful well detailed car. You should go back in time an be a stylist for Chrysler back in the Forward Look days. 

John, I have done some small stylist modifications, Virgil Exner would even be happy about - but not the purists.

sermey
Posted 2010-02-17 11:14 AM (#210073 - in reply to #209657)

Expert

1959Dodge - 2010-02-15 7:22 PM Nice job on the car "Make up". Maybe when you are done . . .

Sorry, Gary, it is never done. The show goes on! A never ending process.  - SERGE -

wizard
Posted 2010-02-17 12:00 PM (#210085 - in reply to #209647)

sermey - 2010-02-15 4:39 PM

Here I preferred to keep the Original Cap of the 1959 DODGE with the script "OIL" on top. Bevor rechroming, the steel filter preventing oil to leak on the valve cover, has to be removed. It can be replaced by a rough stainless steel wool, as used for cleaning pans, inserted with a long-nosed plier. A fine steel Wool would clog when oily and prevent the needed air breathing. - SERGE -

I used exactly the same material and method with Oil Cap - mine is painted black though.
Windsor59
Posted 2010-02-17 12:27 PM (#210092 - in reply to #210085)

Expert

wizard - 2010-02-17 12:00 PM

sermey - 2010-02-15 4:39 PM

Here I preferred to keep the Original Cap of the 1959 DODGE with the script "OIL" on top. Bevor rechroming, the steel filter preventing oil to leak on the valve cover, has to be removed. It can be replaced by a rough stainless steel wool, as used for cleaning pans, inserted with a long-nosed plier. A fine steel Wool would clog when oily and prevent the needed air breathing. - SERGE -

I used exactly the same material and method with Oil Cap - mine is painted black though.

OK! thanks for this tips: It can be replaced by a rough stainless steel wool, as used for cleaning pans, inserted with a long-nosed plier
I must changes the stainless steel wool in my oil cap.
sermey
Posted 2010-02-24 11:07 AM (#211457 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Constant Voltage Regulator: This is a thermo-mechanical contact breaker, and cannot be repaired (metallic sealed). It's output is a pulsing 12V,  resulting in an average output of 5Volt. This voltage can only be measured with a long-time integrating instrument. A connected 12V instruments bulb will flash correspondingly. The regulator is used to operate both, the fuel level and the temperature gauges.

I found an electronic device for direct replacement and easy mounting. It doesn't need any additional components, produces a constant Voltage of +5.0V within an input range of  9 - 30 Volts. This device is temperature and short circuit protected, therefore cannot be destroyed. Just move the input and output connection of the breaker to the input / output of the electronic device. The output leads to the fuel level and temperature gauges. The ground (-) is already connected by the fixing screw of the original regulator (heat sink!). Thus the center pad (ground) could be cut. The maximum output current of 1.5A is more than double needed by the fuel level and temperature gauges at full readings.

The readings for two Input Voltages of 9 and 18 Volt, and the water temperature gauge loaded for "normal" reading (sensor simulation R = 22 Ohm, see Pic) have been tested. The output of the device shows a constant value of 4.90 Volt. The original voltage regulator can be left there as is, but unconnected, or it can be removed as shown. On the illustrations the device is not connected (demo on a spare instruments panel), best should be soldered.

Another invisible new technology for a better performance and a higher reliability of your car. - SERGE -  :laugh:

To know: I have purchased some additional devices for interested FWLs and can offer them at cost price: USD 5.00/piece plus shipment by letter (PAYPAL sermey@bluewin.ch).

Edited by sermey 2010-02-24 1:48 PM

(1 - Dodge59 Constant Voltage Regulator LL.jpg)

(2 - Electronic Regulator Pin Connection LL.jpg)

(3 - Reading at 9 Volt Input LL.jpg)

(4 - Reading at 18 Volt Input LL.jpg)

(5- Both 5 Volt Regulators Mounted LL.jpg)

(6 - Only Electronic 5 Volt Regulator Mounted LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 - Dodge59 Constant Voltage Regulator LL.jpg (92KB - 634 downloads)
Attachments 2 - Electronic Regulator Pin Connection LL.jpg (64KB - 679 downloads)
Attachments 3 - Reading at 9 Volt Input LL.jpg (81KB - 665 downloads)
Attachments 4 - Reading at 18 Volt Input LL.jpg (90KB - 704 downloads)
Attachments 5- Both 5 Volt Regulators Mounted LL.jpg (80KB - 637 downloads)
Attachments 6 - Only Electronic 5 Volt Regulator Mounted LL.jpg (93KB - 649 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2010-02-25 10:15 AM (#211582 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Remote Hood Lock: Most cars at this era didn't had this option. Everyone could open the hood from front, the ones for curiousity, the others just for steal the battery as experienced many years ago. Thus, I had not a good feeling with an "open" hood on my Dodge.

I found a "HOOD" remote cable (must be from a 1960 Mopar?), purchased later a NOS hood lock on eBay, and now it is mounted. The hood lock arm had to be cut and bent upward for a functional operation, and for preventing from manual open. Then the end of the arm got a thread (M5) with a groove for easy connecting and the fine adjustment of the cable length. The remote hood lock handle is mounted on the drivers left side, under the dashboard.

Now, the battery (and the oval air filters!) are safe, and not anymore opened hood by curious people.  - SERGE - 

Edited by sermey 2010-02-25 4:28 PM

(1 - Hood Lock - Arm Cut LL.jpg)

(2 - Prepared Lock Arm LL.jpg)

(3 - Remote Cabel End LL.jpg)

(4 - Control Cabel Connection LL.jpg)

(5 - Connected Remote Control LL.jpg)

(6 - Remote Hood Lock Handle LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 - Hood Lock - Arm Cut LL.jpg (60KB - 668 downloads)
Attachments 2 - Prepared Lock Arm LL.jpg (59KB - 660 downloads)
Attachments 3 - Remote Cabel End LL.jpg (43KB - 652 downloads)
Attachments 4 - Control Cabel Connection LL.jpg (75KB - 681 downloads)
Attachments 5 - Connected Remote Control LL.jpg (85KB - 670 downloads)
Attachments 6 - Remote Hood Lock Handle LL.jpg (75KB - 675 downloads)
DeSotohead
Posted 2010-02-25 10:22 AM (#211583 - in reply to #211457)

Board Moderator

sermey - 2010-02-24 11:07 AM

Constant Voltage Regulator: This is a thermo-mechanical contact breaker, and cannot be repaired (metallic sealed). It's output is a pulsing 12V,  resulting in an average output of 5Volt. This voltage can only be measured with a long-time integrating instrument. A connected 12V instruments bulb will flash correspondingly. The regulator is used to operate both, the fuel level and the temperature gauges.

I found an electronic device for direct replacement and easy mounting. It doesn't need any additional components, produces a constant Voltage of +5.0V within an input range of  9 - 30 Volts. This device is temperature and short circuit protected, therefore cannot be destroyed. Just move the input and output connection of the breaker to the input / output of the electronic device. The output leads to the fuel level and temperature gauges. The ground (-) is already connected by the fixing screw of the original regulator (heat sink!). Thus the center pad (ground) could be cut. The maximum output current of 1.5A is more than double needed by the fuel level and temperature gauges at full readings.

The readings for two Input Voltages of 9 and 18 Volt, and the water temperature gauge loaded for "normal" reading (sensor simulation R = 22 Ohm, see Pic) have been tested. The output of the device shows a constant value of 4.90 Volt. The original voltage regulator can be left there as is, but unconnected, or it can be removed as shown. On the illustrations the device is not connected (demo on a spare instruments panel), best should be soldered.

Another invisible new technology for a better performance and a higher reliability of your car. - SERGE -  :laugh:

To know: I have purchased some additional devices for interested FWLs and can offer them at cost price: USD 5.00/piece plus shipment by letter (PAYPAL sermey@bluewin.ch).

Serge.....

If you really want to make it look "original", you can mount the 5V regulator on a PC board inside the old regulator housing.
That is what I have done with the Lucas equivalent on my Lotus Europa........

sermey
Posted 2010-02-25 10:29 AM (#211584 - in reply to #211583)

Expert

DeSotohead: ..... If you really want to make it look "original", you can mount the 5V regulator on a PC board inside the old regulator housing.

This is a good idea, Hank. Then the integrated circuit can directly be soldered inside on the existing pins. It will need a screw for the heat sink, and on the Dodge, the metallic housing of the regulator is bent all around and must be opened (?).  I don't know if the other Mopars use the same regulator.

Edited by sermey 2010-02-25 10:31 AM
DeSotohead
Posted 2010-02-25 10:52 AM (#211585 - in reply to #211584)

Board Moderator

Here is how its done for the Europas.....

(5vregulator.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 5vregulator.gif (57KB - 661 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2010-02-25 11:06 AM (#211586 - in reply to #211585)

Expert

This is the same Mopar Regulator. But this one has only two bent edges. The one in my car (see above Pic 5) is bent all around.

The electronic regulator is a similar one, may-be an earlier product. There are many available, from various manufacturers and for different applications. The one I selected is best for our application and, according the datasheet, doesn't need any components at all (internally compensated), and cannot be destroyed (temperature and current protected). This security is a big advantage, thinking the regulator is located behind the instruments panel and not directly accessible.  Not needed, but the output accuracy in respect to the input range as tested is impressive (4.90V). Too precise for cars of the fifties!

Edited by sermey 2010-02-25 11:18 AM
DeSotohead
Posted 2010-02-25 11:28 AM (#211587 - in reply to #211586)

Board Moderator

THe actual 5V regulator is really not an issue. As you point out, several companies make them, including the infamous adjustible "LM317" regulator from National.

As for your housing, I think it is quite possible to bend the four corners up and away.
You might try heating the metal with a small butane torch as you pry, or use a large tip on a soldering iron.

Once removed, you can finish the bent up taba with a small hammer and a piece of steel as a backer to straighten the metal.

Recrimping can be done with a small anvil vise.
sermey
Posted 2010-02-27 12:28 PM (#211800 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Fixing the Spinner Hubcaps: I guess these 1959 hubcaps may be the heaviest ones among the FWL- cars. As the spinners are just mounted on the wheel covers and remain unbalanced, an asymmetric radial force is being applied on the rims when driving. The pression to the rims is increased on the one side, and reduced correspondingly on the opposite side. This causes the spinner hubcaps to move slightly outwards on the reduced force side. Mechanical shocks on bad streets to the critical diameter accelerates this process. The front wheels, especially the right side one (for right. hand traffic), are more exposed then the rear ones. I have observed on some hubcaps an outward displacement up to 1mm after a trip of about 500km. Therefore the fit of the hubcaps have to be checked at regular intervals.

Once it happens me to loose the front right spinner hubcap on the original rims. Fortunately I noticed this on the spot and could retrieve it. After that, on longer trips to car meetings, I safety removed the hubcaps. This caused to miss a winner  "best of show", forgetting to put on the hubcaps, laying behind the front seats. Not only, but for best presentation this car needs the original hubcaps. It even happened by an oversight to take pictures without hubcaps. Now I had to find a solution!

Diametral in the 15" chrome-wheels I removed two diametric nuts (the nuts are just dummies as design) and put an M5 inserting-nut instead (as described earlier). The position has to match the air-valve! Then I bent a profile in aluminium as fixing latch,  with an M4 inserting-nut (here in aluminium black anodized) on one end. For each  hubcap two latches are needed. The fine adjustment to the hubcaps is done by rotating and manually bending them on the wheel. The hubcaps need two holes (4 mm) in the groove, not drilled, just by applying multiple times the center puncher in order to keep the border for the countersink screws M4. This two stainless screws are hardly visible, on the picture time position 04.50. I still have some reserve wheel covers for keeping the originality, if one day it should be required.

Now, my 1959 Dodge Convertible will always be fitted with the nice spinner hubcaps, without any stress of loosing them or even being "removed" (get stolen).  - SERGE -

Edited by sermey 2010-02-27 12:50 PM

(1 - Inserted Nut LL.jpg)

(2 - Fixing Latches LL.jpg)

(3 - Latch Mount LL.jpg)

(4 - Mounted Latches LL.jpg)

(5 - Countersink Screw LL.jpg)

(6 - Fixed Spinner Hubcap LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 - Inserted Nut LL.jpg (90KB - 616 downloads)
Attachments 2 - Fixing Latches LL.jpg (65KB - 635 downloads)
Attachments 3 - Latch Mount LL.jpg (73KB - 673 downloads)
Attachments 4 - Mounted Latches LL.jpg (109KB - 651 downloads)
Attachments 5 - Countersink Screw LL.jpg (65KB - 672 downloads)
Attachments 6 - Fixed Spinner Hubcap LL.jpg (124KB - 641 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2010-03-21 3:09 PM (#215066 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Fuel Gas Tank Cap: On most FWL-Cars the Fuel Gas Tank Cap is not visible from outside, on many Sports Cars it is part of the design and lettered accordingly (GT, SS). On a nice car, this device should as well correspond to the car, to its design and to the prefences of the owner. On the market there are various caps available, with and without locks. The pictures show a selection offered in eBay. For my car the Fuel Gas Tank Cap should have the properties as:

1. Vented type, preventing pressions in the tank.
2. With lock, protecting the acces to others.
3. Covered lock, to keep it free from dirt.
4. The ability to fix it without key.
5. A nice rechromed design, matched to the car.

Now, when tank up, the nice Fuel Gas Tank Cap underscores the exclusivity of the car.  - SERGE -

Edited by sermey 2010-03-22 6:38 AM

(1 - Various Gas Tank Caps LL.jpg)

(2 - Various Locking Gas Tank Cap LL.jpg)

(3 - Dodge Fuel Gas Tank Cap LL.jpg)

(4 - Dodge Fuel Cap Fixed LL.jpg)

(5 - Dodge Fuel Cap with Keys LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 - Various Gas Tank Caps LL.jpg (115KB - 633 downloads)
Attachments 2 - Various Locking Gas Tank Cap LL.jpg (99KB - 614 downloads)
Attachments 3 - Dodge Fuel Gas Tank Cap LL.jpg (53KB - 669 downloads)
Attachments 4 - Dodge Fuel Cap Fixed LL.jpg (53KB - 648 downloads)
Attachments 5 - Dodge Fuel Cap with Keys LL.jpg (83KB - 625 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2010-03-26 6:02 PM (#215916 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Trunk Lamp: Older cars have usually one trunk lamp, positioned in the center of the trunk, near the lock. The switch is in the bulb socket, activated at a given angle or inclination. For a big trunk like on FWL-cars, this illumination can be insufficient at the left and right end, especially when the trunk is dark carpeted. Additional lamps could be useful.

I found Lamp Units with integrated switch, for individually On or Off. As separate switch, the same system is used as in the doors for the dome lamps. This switch is mounted by a bracket behind the trunk hinge (left side) the way, that at closed trunk the lamps goes off. Two lamp units are fixed, left and right, not visible on top in the upper corner. The needed electrical supply is already there.

Another discreet adds-on. At night the opened trunk appear wider and more generous, as the car
already is. - SERGE - 

Edited by sermey 2010-03-26 6:35 PM

(1 - Trunk Light LL.jpg)

(2 - Trunk Lamp Units LL.jpg)

(3 - Trunk Light Switch LL.jpg)

(4 - Mounted Lamp Unit LL.jpg)

(5 - Trunk Lamp Unit Left Side View LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 - Trunk Light LL.jpg (51KB - 657 downloads)
Attachments 2 - Trunk Lamp Units LL.jpg (65KB - 622 downloads)
Attachments 3 - Trunk Light Switch LL.jpg (67KB - 656 downloads)
Attachments 4 - Mounted Lamp Unit LL.jpg (80KB - 645 downloads)
Attachments 5 - Trunk Lamp Unit Left Side View LL.jpg (81KB - 640 downloads)
1959 Belvedere Conv
Posted 2010-03-26 7:45 PM (#215929 - in reply to #211457)

Elite Veteran

Serge, in picure 6 of the constant voltage regulator thread, there is a small blue electronic device with stripes used, is that a diode or capacitor you installed? and why?

thanks!
sermey
Posted 2010-03-26 11:41 PM (#215952 - in reply to #215929)

Expert

1959 Belvedere Conv - 2010-03-27 1:45 AM Serge, in picure 6 of the constant voltage regulator thread, there is a small blue electronic device with stripes used, is that a diode or capacitor you installed? and why? thanks!

John, this is the 22 Ohm resistor (0.3W), simulating the missing temperature sensor. With this value, corresponding to the warm-up engine, the temp gauge shows 60% reading, visible from the other side.This voltage regulator requires no additional electronic device at all. What you see is the rear of a "reserve" instruments panel 1959 Dodge.  - SERGE -

Edited by sermey 2010-03-27 2:40 AM
sermey
Posted 2010-03-28 6:22 AM (#216067 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Water Temperature Gauge Sender: Technical aspects about this device have already been discussed on another thread:

"Defective Water Temperature Sensor"

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=29524&posts=15&start=1

Here just a small "Make-up": The pin has been modified by applying a thread M3. This allows a nicer and as well a better electrical connection. Then the device and the dome cap (M3) have been polished. Under the Sensor you see a rubber O-ring to hide its remaining thread.

Now, one more "brillant" on this car! - SERGE -

To know: Polished brass should be protected by coating with Zapon-Laquer to prevent oxydations and to keep the shiny aspect. This is advantageous for any polished metallic items. On pictures the polished surfaces often  doesn't look as shiny, due to mirroring of the ambient.

Edited by sermey 2010-03-28 6:29 AM

(1 - Temperature Gauge Sender LL.jpg)

(2 - Thread M3 on Sensor LL.jpg)

(3 - Dome Cap M3 on Connected Sensor LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 - Temperature Gauge Sender LL.jpg (51KB - 633 downloads)
Attachments 2 - Thread M3 on Sensor LL.jpg (102KB - 626 downloads)
Attachments 3 - Dome Cap M3 on Connected Sensor LL.jpg (101KB - 633 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2010-04-03 11:16 AM (#216878 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Black Painted Items: Many items on my car are black painted. Not the style of anyone, but to me for practcal reasons. When clean, it looks nice, can be partly repainted anytime without perceiving it, is neutral and gives a classic outfit. Finally: black is black, no problems with various tones as a white color. This is my personal view.

Here how I do it, easy and nice:
First brush the surface to remove old paint or rust. Then clean it with nitro-dilution or fuel, using a towel or washing the item with a paint-brush, to be absolute free of oil. The best paint I found and use for years is a spray, mat and includes rust-protection. It has a structure as silver paint and dries within a half hour. When the items are not directly exposed to water or rain, this paint can be applied directly on iron (or other material). For hot engine parts there is the similar "high temperature" spray. Inside the car or in corners, the surrounding can be masked with newspapers or a plastic foil, the hidden corners coloured with a paint-brush, using this paint previously sprayed in a can.

As sample I used a rusty metal bar, here (highly zoomed) only brushed, not grinded or sanded. On the last picture, the black painted front of the engine (over 10 years old). The black paint is slightly shiny as silk, what gives an animated look.  - SERGE -

See as well the brushed and black painted Hood-Lock in an upper post.

Edited by sermey 2010-04-03 11:20 AM

(1 - Black Spray LL.jpg)

(2 - Rusty Metal LL.jpg)

(3 - Brushing LL.jpg)

(4 - Metal Black Sprayed LL.jpg)

(5 - Black Paint on Front LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 - Black Spray LL.jpg (100KB - 656 downloads)
Attachments 2 - Rusty Metal LL.jpg (68KB - 670 downloads)
Attachments 3 - Brushing LL.jpg (69KB - 658 downloads)
Attachments 4 - Metal Black Sprayed LL.jpg (69KB - 657 downloads)
Attachments 5 - Black Paint on Front LL.jpg (115KB - 647 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2010-04-24 1:01 PM (#220025 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Aligning the Front Bumper: We all know, the precision on those cars was not high as on cars of today. This becomes apparent on mounted doors, hoods and trunk lids, but as well on bumpers. The front bumper of the 1959 Dodge is especially critical due to its side design - any mis-alignment to the fender is visible. When mounted as it is from original, most are hanging down. Some nice cars as illustrated (1) (pics from thread Vasteras) look as the front bumper will get lost at any instance. This was as well on my car.

Correcting this by an asymmetric support would move the bumper more forward. But the bumper should even be more back to fit as well to the border of the fender. To move it more back, the mounting arms have to be shortened. Due to an angle of about 45deg the arms have in respect to the bumper, the mounting holes would not fit anymore by just cutting them. They have to be welded overlapped as shown (2). The adjustment in forward position then is easy achieved by inserting washers (3). The hanging side to come up can be corrected by grinding the bracket correspondingly.

Recently I improved this alignment by slightly untight the bolts, pushing the bumper on the side up to maximum,  using the car lifter. Then fixing (just hanging) the bumper up, with two adjustable aluminium angle brackets (3) on each side (4).  When aligned and fixed in the correct position, finally tighten all bumper bolts (on Pic 4 you see as well how the Lancer Emblem is fixed, this way already posted earlier).

Now, the front bumper is there where it should be, as it was initially designed.  - SERGE - 

Edited by sermey 2010-04-24 1:08 PM

(1 - Hanging Front Bumpers LL.jpg)

(2 - Bumper Arm Welding LL.jpg)

(3 - Forward Adjustment LL.jpg)

(4 - Adjustable Angle Brackets LL.jpg)

(5 - Front Bumper Fixed in Top Position LL.jpg)

(6 - Aligned Front Bumper LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 - Hanging Front Bumpers LL.jpg (116KB - 646 downloads)
Attachments 2 - Bumper Arm Welding LL.jpg (72KB - 665 downloads)
Attachments 3 - Forward Adjustment LL.jpg (70KB - 635 downloads)
Attachments 4 - Adjustable Angle Brackets LL.jpg (68KB - 685 downloads)
Attachments 5 - Front Bumper Fixed in Top Position LL.jpg (86KB - 659 downloads)
Attachments 6 - Aligned Front Bumper LL.jpg (76KB - 650 downloads)
wizard
Posted 2010-04-24 3:06 PM (#220038 - in reply to #156081)

Way to go Serge! You have cured the "American Car disese"! Next to all US cars (exeption from the master renovated ones) has a misaligned bumper. This is indeed a very noticable difference.
59CRL
Posted 2010-05-01 7:25 PM (#221207 - in reply to #211457)

Expert

I see you have a 22 ohm resistor hooked up there, (red, red, blk) I bet for testing purposes, very good. I replaced my old CVR with a 5 volt 7805 today and a NOS gauge. I let the car idle for 30 minutes and the gauge reads 1/3rd, not bad at all. Tomorrow I will take her out for a ride and see where the gauge reads. Too much rain today. Thanks Sermey for the research and pics.
sermey
Posted 2010-05-01 7:52 PM (#221211 - in reply to #221207)

Expert

59CRL - 2010-05-02 1:25 AM I see you have a 22 ohm resistor hooked up there, (red, red, blk) I bet for testing purposes, very good. I replaced my old CVR with a 5 volt 7805 today and a NOS gauge. I let the car idle for 30 minutes and the gauge reads 1/3rd, not bad at all. Tomorrow I will take her out for a ride and see where the gauge reads. Too much rain today. Thanks Sermey for the research and pics.

Correct, the 22Ohm Resistor substitutes the sensor. This was technically discussed in the thread:

"Defective Water Temperature Sensor"

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=29524&posts=22&start=1

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)