The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buying from andy birnbaum
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Vendor DiscussionMessage format

mschaap
Posted 2004-02-03 8:13 PM (#734)
Subject: buying from andy birnbaum

I was going to buy some parts from andy birnbaum, has anyone had good or bad results with him?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Daven Anderson
Posted 2004-02-03 11:12 PM (#738 - in reply to #734)
Subject: RE: buying from Andy Bernbaum

Extreme Veteran

Well, in 1991 I ordered an "NOS" idler arm from Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts,
which turned out to be used, but I didn't return it as I really needed it and used it immediately.
I never ordered anything from them since. It was a usable part and the price was in line for
a used idler arm, but they should not have claimed that it was NOS (especially with visible
wear and surface rust!)
I GOT FINS
Posted 2004-02-03 11:39 PM (#744 - in reply to #734)
Subject: RE: buying from andy birnbaum

Elite Veteran

I purchased a trunk weather strip and a rear glass seal for my 1950 Plymouth a couple of years ago. The trunk seal was as good as any aftermarket I have seen. The window seal worked but the profile was a little larger and did not lay quite properly on the inside against the headliner there is a 1/4 inch gap in the most obvious area. I could not tell this until the window was in and it was quite a job installing!! At least water does not leak in on the new upholstery. I would say that I am 75% satisfied with these parts. I have however talked to a couple of other people who are very dissatisfied with the quality of parts and service. One of whom used a lot of profanity during our conversation. I would check his return policy and ask a lot of questions.

Good luck:

J.W. Duhn
Mr.Belvedere
Posted 2004-02-04 12:06 AM (#746 - in reply to #734)

Veteran

I have used Andy's on a few projects....never had any problems with him and he was patient with my numerous questions. All in all a good guy to deal with. -Chris, Detroit, MI
sperduton
Posted 2004-02-05 12:48 PM (#833 - in reply to #734)

Regular

I bought quite a few things from him over the years and never had a problem.

Nick
60 Finatic
Posted 2004-02-06 12:03 AM (#863 - in reply to #734)

Extreme Veteran

I'm in the midst of restoring my Desoto. Everything I've received was delivered when he said it would be and came as advertised... he's "quite proud" of his merchandise, if you get my drift....

Cazzer
Posted 2004-03-07 6:57 PM (#2351 - in reply to #734)

Veteran

Got all my wetherstripping from andy.
Seems to be all present, correct and good....havent tried fitting any of it yet though.
DeSotohead
Posted 2004-03-07 7:35 PM (#2352 - in reply to #2351)

Board Moderator

I have bought a few items from Andy's, and overall the quality seems to be in line with others whom make and sell NORS type parts.
Most of my stuff was rubber based (spring silencers, etc), but even the "hard" parts seem OK.

Biggest issue I have had with any of the replacement stock vendors is that my vehicle (56 DeSoto Adventurer) seems to get lumped with either all other DeSotos or "same as a Chrysler New Yorker".

So I have gotten to asking about stuff such as replacement front coil springs as to diameter , length and number of coils. NOT the same as a New Yorker, but close to a 300B (not identical here either).

I think he does a good job with normal vehicles, but if you own a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer D500-1, then look out!
fundoc
Posted 2004-03-07 7:53 PM (#2356 - in reply to #734)

I bought some window channel, weather rubber seals for the doors and trunk, and anti rattle window felt trim from him and when I got the products the channel was the wrong size for my '57 4 door sedan, the anti rattle felt for the windows channel pulled away when unrolled for instillation, and the door and trunk weather seals were the wrong size....I called him and spoke to him personally and his response back was 'ship it back at my cost (NOT HIS)and he would ship me replacements at my cost again'...The guy is the highest priced seller on the market and beware!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO BUSINESS WITH THIS DUDE!!
desotopit
Posted 2004-05-07 8:57 PM (#5681 - in reply to #734)

Regular

I have bought several items with no problem from Berbaum's. The price was high but they had what I needed.
My last purchase was a set of lower ball joints for my 57 Desoto but my car had THREADED joints. He was "proud" to sell them and I was proud to finally someone that knew about the correct ones.
fireflyte60
Posted 2004-05-14 8:10 AM (#6033 - in reply to #734)

Regular

I hve ordered several things from him, and although, his prices are a bit on the high side, he seems to be about the only one who had what i needed. I have been happy with the parts and service I have gotten from him.
rockabillybassman
Posted 2005-08-10 1:43 AM (#36911 - in reply to #734)

I've had nothing but first class service from Andy B. and I live in New Zealand!
imfinlay
Posted 2005-08-13 4:06 PM (#37184 - in reply to #734)

Extreme Veteran

I'm in the UK, and have bought from him in the past and recently. He has occasionally missed parts from a shipment, and is quite resistant to the suggestion that he may have made a mistake, but he's put it right and quickly too.

His advice is helpful, but he recently sent me some stuff before I'd got back to him with the oil filter type, so sent me the wrong one. I'd say he's good, but somewhat arrogant.

Ian
My57Saratoga
Posted 2005-08-13 8:10 PM (#37190 - in reply to #734)

Elite Veteran

Bought several items, (weatherstripping, master cylinder), for my 57 Saratoga. No problems.

Mike
Johnnee D.
Posted 2005-08-22 7:22 AM (#37782 - in reply to #37184)

Veteran

imfinlay - 2005-08-14 10:06 PM

I'm in the UK, and have bought from him in the past and recently. He has occasionally missed parts from a shipment, and is quite resistant to the suggestion that he may have made a mistake, but he's put it right and quickly too.

His advice is helpful, but he recently sent me some stuff before I'd got back to him with the oil filter type, so sent me the wrong one. I'd say he's good, but somewhat arrogant.

Ian

I agree with this...ordered a few parts, he sent them but forgot to include some small stuff, I called him and he said to mention it in the next order, he wasn't going to send
a couple of small items overseas because of shipping!!!! roof rail weatherstrip for 62 newport doesn't fit properly, will have to slice it a little...all in all not a bad experience
but he could be a little less arrogant...
62chrysler
Posted 2005-08-22 9:40 AM (#37797 - in reply to #734)

Account Suspended (Steve Hobby Alias)

I agree with Ian on the arrogance, but I use him frequently.  Give him the right info and he does OK.  If he makes a mistake, he makes good.  He's a far site better than Kanter.  Stay away from those idiots. . . . .  Their customer service department sucks, they are long on delivery, and don't do anything to fix their mistakes.  The're the most expensive too.  They think they crap roses.
pierpaolo
Posted 2005-09-07 4:13 PM (#39135 - in reply to #734)
Subject: Stay away from this scammer!!!!!

Veteran

I ordered some rubber stuff for my 55 chrysler from birnbaum, one of which was the windshield weatherstripping, $189 plus $129 for UPS express delivery to the UK.

The extrusion he sent me was nowere near to the original one, way too thick and with the glass channel too small.

The friend that helped me to fit the glass (a windscreen fitter by trade) told me that no way the glass was going to fit in that rubber, and there was the risk of cracking the glass because of too much pressure.

Luckily he managed to source a suitable extrusion locally and compled the installation.

When I called to tell Birnbaum about the rubber he told me that he would refund the price of the rubber only (no shipping) only after the rubber was returned at my expenses.

When I pointed out that the shipping would have costed more than the rubber itself, and I couldn't see why I should have paid twice for the shipping of something that was sent wrong by him, he answered that the rubber was correct for the car and it was the original rubber on my car that was different from all the others!!!!!!!!!!!

He became increasingly rude to my requests to tell me who he thought was responsible for the mistake and consequently should pay for all the cost: me or him. And after few minutes he ended with (literally) "I don't want to listen to your f***ing bull***t anymore" and put the phone down. Very nice.

If you want my opinion, no matters how good or bad his stuff is, he doesn't deserve to be in business, stay away from him.
forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-09-07 5:44 PM (#39139 - in reply to #734)

Expert

Wow, what a class act.
62chrysler
Posted 2005-09-07 8:36 PM (#39158 - in reply to #734)

HUH.  I never had that problem with him.  But then again, he knows me well.  I am very sorry to hear that happen.
61Newport413
Posted 2005-09-08 6:37 AM (#39199 - in reply to #734)

Veteran

I have called Andy twice, both with good results. I ordered a number of small items, hoses, clamps, etc. and all were fine, shipped promptly and packed properly. On one item he couldn't guarantee that the part was correct for my car and suggested another supplier rather than send the wrong item.

My next project is to redo the suspension on my 61 Chrysler. Bushings, ball joints, etc. Andy and Kanter are the only two suppliers I know of for suspension parts. Who would be best? Who else should I try?
forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-09-08 10:45 AM (#39204 - in reply to #734)

Expert

Jack-

Check with rockauto.com. I have received excellent service, quality parts and VERY reasonable shipping in the past.
mulletman59
Posted 2005-09-09 1:12 AM (#39292 - in reply to #734)

Veteran

Well I got all my weather stripping from him. Was a arm and a leg but hey it was good parts and as soon as I get paint on i can use them.

Casey
62chrysler
Posted 2005-09-09 7:02 PM (#39333 - in reply to #734)

Hi Guys

I ordered some stuff from Andy today and found what the secret is.  Hre has a guy named Steve that works with him.  Steve and I had quite a conversation.  Steve knows me better than Andy does, I think the name Steve has something to do with that.  I mentioned there were allot of complaints, and Steve was gracious enough to thank me for sticking up for Andy.  He suggested you deal with him and Not Andy.  He said, after all, he is why Andy hired him.  Steve's been there for 15 years and know his stuff.

For what it's worth, Andy is a good guy, It's how you approach him.  I never had a problem with him.  But then again, I am from the northeast too.  Us Jorseyites can be worse!  LOL

Johnnee D.
Posted 2005-09-10 3:21 AM (#39361 - in reply to #39333)

Veteran

62chrysler - 2005-09-10 1:02 AM

Hi Guys

I ordered some stuff from Andy today and found what the secret is.  Hre has a guy named Steve that works with him.  Steve and I had quite a conversation.  Steve knows me better than Andy does, I think the name Steve has something to do with that.  I mentioned there were allot of complaints, and Steve was gracious enough to thank me for sticking up for Andy.  He suggested you deal with him and Not Andy.  He said, after all, he is why Andy hired him.  Steve's been there for 15 years and know his stuff.

For what it's worth, Andy is a good guy, It's how you approach him.  I never had a problem with him.  But then again, I am from the northeast too.  Us Jorseyites can be worse!  LOL

basically next time we order we call ourselves Steve and all say we're from the Northeast !!!!! Somehow my accent will give my secret away...

Steevee D.
from Northeast Geneva
pierpaolo
Posted 2005-09-10 5:03 AM (#39362 - in reply to #39333)

Veteran

When I called to order the rubber, he passed me some other guy to decide which extrusion was correct, so I probably spoke with Steve the first time (don't remember his name).

I specified that my car had the "snap-in" top trim and he immediately understood what I meant and decided which rubber was correct.

The problem is, even if the shape of the rubber seems similar to the original one, it is like it was enlarged 1.5 times the original dimension, and this makes it so thick that it is not possible to install it.

An inexperienced eye may judge the rubber as correct (so did I), until you phisically try to push the glass in and realize that the rubber is so stiff that even a 1/8" thicker extrusion makes a huge difference making it unuseable. The stiffness of the larger extrusion makes also impossible for the weatherstripping to follow the bending radius at the windshield corners without distorting.

Basically, don't judge the correctness of the rubber until you compare it with the old one and it matches perfectly, or until you install it, you may have nasty surprises like it happened to me!

If I have time, in the next days I will try to post a picture of the two sections to show better what I mean.

Cheers,

Pierpaolo
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)