The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Johnny Rosen On "Bargain Shopping"
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Vendor DiscussionMessage format

Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-09-03 6:39 AM (#187450)
Subject: Johnny Rosen On "Bargain Shopping"

VERY LONG READ... I'll apologize for that in advance.
Meanwhile, this thread is definitely worth your time.

I recently had the chance to deal with the one and only Johnny Rosen of Phoenix, Arizona.
(Rosen = The guy who posts those wonderfully entertaining eBay descriptions as "finmaniac" or "imperialbubba".)

As Donnie has been finishing the '60 New Yorker, we've noticed a number of small parts that have needed replacement - most of which have been interior doo-dads of some sort. As some of you may recall, the main thing I was searching for was a nice, useable steering wheel.

Out of desperation, I contacted Rosen... who was VERY helpful and polite.
I was VERY impressed with his thorough descriptions and attention to detail regarding the items he had available.
In fact, after our phone conversation, Rosen followed up by mailing me a type-written description of each wheel available... along with the details of our conversation. It was very detailed and accurate... almost as though Rosen secretly dreams of being a court stenographer.

We eventually agreed on a wheel - and a deal. He priced me a very nice '61 Chrysler wheel (that I could have painted to match the car) for $200. As part of the deal, I offered a white ("alabaster") 1963 Imperial as partial trade, which he agreed to - dropping MY cost to $100 PLUS the Imperial wheel. Sounded like a great deal to me. I sent a check the following day and it crossed with the wheel in the mail. I was further impressed that Rosen understood my time constraints and offered to ship the wheel to me before even receiving my check.

In addition, Rosen supplied a return shipping label and asked that I get the Imperial wheel to him "sometime before Christmas... absolutely no rush whatsoever." The plan was to use the same box in which he shipped my wheel. Again, a great idea, and still a pleasant experience with Rosen. I couldn't have been more impressed.

The wheel arrived in the same excellent condition which he described... It was then quickly painted and fitted to the car. I was VERY pleased. Therefore I thought I might try Rosen again for some other parts I was having trouble finding.

I next contacted him with regard to a couple of power window motors. Rosen requested photos of the window motors, which I did provide via email. He then told me that he didn't have any in stock - but "might be able to find some". I told him what I was willing to pay, and that was that. I didn't really expect to hear from him again. In the meantime, I continued searching and found the motors for $110 apiece at MoPar City. Naturally, I placed the order and crossed the motors off my list. A few days later, I get an email from Rosen, informing me that he had found a couple of the motors I needed for "200 each... no haggling... plus $25 shipping". I replied that I had found the motors, but thanked him for his follow-up nonetheless.

Feeling somewhat obligated to Rosen, I thought I'd give him another shot with regard to the dome lenses I needed. I called him up to ask if he might have a pair in stock. He promptly informed me (as I already suspected) that the Arizona heat turns such plastic pieces into dust. I again thanked him for his time... and once more continued my search on my own. Despite various horror stories of slow shipping, I contacted George Laurie in Australia. Laurie had a set of '60 New Yorker Hardtop dome lenses IN STOCK, ready to ship. We made the deal, and I again crossed those items off my list of parts needed. Again - a few days later, I get an email from Rosen. Even though I never asked him to help locate the lenses, he informed me that he had found a pair (with bezels) for $250 plus shipping. Being honest, I told him that I had already made a purchase from George Laurie...

THAT is when Rosen came unglued.... He sent me not one, but TWO nasty emails. It seems Rosen views me as a time waster and bargain shopper. I'll admit to being a bargain shopper. Aren't we all? I mean, for the love of God... These cars are expensive to restore. Therefore, I feel as though it's our right to look for the best deals we can find on some of this sh!t.

Sadly, if he hadn't blasted me this way, I would probably have dealt with Rosen again. He has alot of parts - and he's a hoot to talk to. Meanwhile, if YOU choose to deal with him, beware of these mood swings. The irate emails below will show you how he views his customers.

Note that he also accused me of failing to hold up my end of the bargain with regard to the steering wheel I was using as partial trade. For the record, that wheel was in transit to Phoenix during the very moments that Rosen was hammering out these emails.

I hope you enjoy reading these as much as I did.

EMAIL #1:

Thanks....but NO thanks!

I've had Laurie's number for 16 years.

I know all about him.

I've dealt with him, on occasion, since you were in kindergarten

He is NOT my source for '60 New Yorker dome lamp lenses.

Now you and I, Manning, are gonna to change our modus operandi, from today on.

Do not ever call me first, or second, or even third, when you are bargain-shopping for s**t.

FROM NOW ON, YOU WILL ONLY CONTACT ME WHEN - AND IF - YOU GET DESPERATE FOR WHATEVER s**t YOU'RE BARGAIN-SHOPPING FOR.

And if you NEVER get that desperate...I will not miss your frivolous enquiries.

First, Manning, you will ransack the entire planet when you bargain-shop for car s**t.

You will shop until you drop.

You will only contact me when - and if - you hit an impenetrable brick wall....and NO other sonofabitch on the planet, has what you want.

You have shamelessly - and without a twinge of conscience - wasted and squandered - uncountable hours and days of my life sending me on wild parts chases looking for what you want at prices you want to pay.

Clearly, you have zero respect whatsoever for another man's time; it's all about your ability to brag about the deal you got here, and the deal you got there.

I'm 63, Mr. Manning, and I've been at this crap for 35 years.

Tens of thousands of hours of my time has been wasted by thousands of bargain shoppers, such as Nathan Manning.

Eventually, these time-wasters all weed themselves out, or I blow 'em off.

Life is way too short - and I do not have enough of it left - to pander to your every whim and to your insatiable hunger for cheap trophy deals that please you.

Problem is, you have a job and a paycheck...... and Rosen's time is worth zero to you.

What I do IS my job, and IS my paycheck.

I wanna deal ONLY with guys who have money, are willing to spend it to get what they want when they want it, and who are WAY TOO BUSY to bargain-shop for old car s**t.

Those guys help keep my home out of foreclosure; whereas guys like you just hammer me deeper into the hole.

You are a time vacuum, Manning, and you think nothing of wasting a professional's time (yeah, pal, that's me) with endless, flippant and gratuitous price enquiries.

Since I am an old pro, I treat every enquiry seriously, and the result is that some my time is flushed down the toilet by immature, narcissistic punks such as the likes of YOU, full of hubris and an overblown sense of self-importance, who won't treat my time as if it has any value.

For you, this stuff is just fun s**t.

For me, it is life-and-death; it is all about survival .

Henceforth, Manning, you and I are done unless you are willing to pay whatever I want for an item that you cannot find anywhere else in the whole f**king universe.

I doubt I'll hear from you again - but that's just peachy keen with me. That will be swell!

With YOU out of the picture, I'll have more time to dedicate to my many LOYAL customers, mature, grown-up MEN who do NOT bargain-shop me and flush my life down their Walmart toilets..

I'll have more time to spend with the people who matter to me; the other professionals who value my resourcefulness and my spectacular service; the people who pay my bills.

And I won't be wasting my precious, irreplaceable time, pandering to pompous, strutting pea****s such as you for whom flushing Rosen's time down the toilet is a blood sport. .

AND I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN MY f**kING STEERING WHEEL, MANNING..

I'm beginnig to doubt you ever shipped it.

Lotta hot air comin' from eastern Tennessee... and not a whole helluva lot of anything else.

Do not waste any more of my time responding in any way to this last and final communication between us.

I do not want, nor do I require, your response.

JUST SHIP THE f**kING STEERING WHEEL YOU OWE ME.

Rosen

========

That was fun, wasn't it? NOW - Here's EMAIL #2:

========

I WAS DEAD RIGHT, MANNING - YOU ARE A SERIAL TIME-WASTER OF OTHER GUYS' TIME.

NOT JUST MINE.

I CALLED MURRAY PARK IN TIFFIN, OHIO, THIS MORNING TO WARN HIM ABOUT YOU.

WE DO THAT FOR EACH OTHER.

TOLD HIM TO STICK YOUR NAME ON HIS BLACK LIST OF PATHOLOGICAL TIME-WASTERS.

HE SAID..."OH...THAT GUY'S ALREADY THERE".

YOU'RE AN ARROGANT JERK, MANNING, AND YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN BLITHELY WASTE THE TIME OF OLD PROS SUCH AS MURRAY PARK AND JOHNNY ROSEN, AND THAT YOUR DISRESPECT OF US WILL NEVER COME BACK TO BITE YOU IN YOUR LYING ASS.

CLEARLY, YOU THINK YOU ARE WAY TOO SEXY FOR YOUR SHIRT MANNING.

BYT WE HAVE SEEN YOUR TYPE BEFORE.

OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

NONE OF US GRIZZLED OLD PROS IN THIS RACKET FELL OFF THAT OLD TURNIP TRUCK, LAST NIGHT, MANNING.

YOUR JUVENILE BRAIN IS WAY TOO IMMATURE TO COMPREHEND THE HATRED AND THE DISGUST YOU ARE ENGENDERING AMONG THOSE OF US FOR WHOM TIME IS EVERYTHING.

We have devoted a lifetime to learning the kind of stuff you arrogantly cherrypick from our gray matter, at no cost to you because we freely share it with the likes of you...UNTIL you reveal your true colors.

We have all spent MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and UNCOUNTABLE THOUSANDS OF HOURS acquiring the stuff you only pretend to want.

I am kicking your disingenuous ass, Manning, using this tool of the devil, in the fervent hope that it will dissuade you from ever contacting either one of us, ever again.

UNLESS you are willing AT THE OUTSET to put cold, hard cash where your big mouth is.... BEFORE we even start looking for the s**t you claim to want.

Fact is, pal, Murray Park and I are old pros of your father's generation, when intetgrity, honesty and respect for another man's time MEANT something.....but you would not know a darn thing about any of that, would you?

Yes, Manning, we know the value of other men's time - and we do not waste it gratuitously, deliberately and for our own entertainment, as YOU do.

You obviously live in a dog-eat-dog, trailer-trash world where success, victory and triumph mean using - then discarding - everyone else.

That's what twenty- and thirty-somethings do...until they grow up and mature.

I, too, was like that 30 years ago...but I learned fast when a few old junkyard dogs kicked MY butt, as I now kick yours while holding my nose.

Be grateful for this valuable reality check, Manning.

Few guys would have the inclination to waste yet more of their time delivering this message to you, since you will NEVER appreciate it.

Murray and I are NOT competitors, pal.

We are COLLABORATORS.

And HIS prices are HALF of what mine are.

He is the cheapest sonofabitch on this planet - and I am the most expensive a**hole in this universe.

Between us, we have this galaxy covered.

He and I share scuttlebutt, pal - and your infantile game is clearly transparent to both of us.

You bargain-shop everybody.

You read off the same list of crap you pretend to want, to each one of us - and God knows to how many other poor suckers out there.

Then - you buy nothing.

Which clearly reveals that you use us, abuse us, then discard us when you're done flushing OUR time down your Tennessee outhouse.

Neither Murray Park nor John Rosen gives a darn whether you contact either one of us ever again.

We sincerely hope you won't - EVER.

You're bad news, to ALL of us, Manning - and a PATHOLOGICAL SQUANDERER of our precious and irreplaceable time.

With you, it is a sickness.

And that's what cheap - or free - communication has created in this day and age.

Strutting frauds like you who can jerk old pros around at no cost whatsoever to yourself...but at HUGE, INCALCULABLE cost to us, the same old pros whose dwindling years you flush down your water closet in such a thoughtless and cavalier manner.

You've blown your cover, Manning.

We are now all on to you.

Your nauseating hubris will soon result in your being blacklisted - or treated with the scathing contempt you deserve - by every professional parts peddler in the USA.

You are well on your way to national ostracism, Manning, and you have only yourself - and your incurable disease of malignant narcissim - to blame.

Read this - then re-read it.

Then, if you have the balls, - and we know you don't - pick up your phone and THANK ME for this valuable feedback.

Print it up and keep a copy of it in your outhouse. Read it every time you take a dump.

Some day, it'll sink in..and then, long after we old pros are dead and buried, you can turn over a new leaf and try to find the s**t you lie about wanting, at Walmart in 2029.

Good riddance, pal.

========

Interesting reading, no doubt.
I tried to call Rosen yesterday in response to this tirade.

No answer - went straight to the machine...
I left a message... but have yet to get a call back.
If I feel particularly punchy, I may try calling him back again today.

-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2009-09-03 9:16 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
345 DeSoto
Posted 2009-09-03 7:39 AM (#187452 - in reply to #187450)
Subject: Re: Johnny Rosen On "Bargain Shopping"

Expert

He's complaining about you wasting his time...how much of his own time did HE waste typing all that stuff up?...
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-09-03 7:42 AM (#187453 - in reply to #187452)

345 DeSoto - 2009-09-03 7:39 AM
how much of his own time did HE waste typing all that stuff up?...

Probably about as much as I spent telling y'all about my experience.

I sell insurance as a side job... Not everybody who gets a quote buys a policy.
Do I get pissed? NO... It's part of the job.

The way I see it, that's just BUSINESS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh well.
-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2009-09-03 7:44 AM
catman
Posted 2009-09-03 8:54 AM (#187458 - in reply to #187450)
Subject: RE: Johnny Rosen On "Bargain Shopping"

Elite Veteran

My oh my!!!!!
Isn't shopping one of the buyer's privilege?

Chrome58
Posted 2009-09-03 10:12 AM (#187462 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

Incredible !!!! If I were you, Nathan, I would be extremely pissed at such a display of raw arrogance !!

Another one (or two if we count his fellow Park) to add to the blacklist of insane or unsound vendors ...

Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-09-03 11:22 AM (#187467 - in reply to #187462)

Chrome58 - 2009-09-03 10:12 AM
I would be extremely pissed at such a display of raw arrogance !!
Another one (or two if we count his fellow Park) to add to the blacklist of insane or unsound vendors ...

Oh, I'm PLENTY pissed about it...

The truth is, I initially found Rosen to be an exceptionally nice, professional guy...
(I guess he thought I had money fallin' outta my azz.)

Admittedly, I'm STILL impressed by his keen wit and artful way with words - even in the scathing emails above.

I can't really speak much for Murray Park as I've never had much chance to deal with him.
I HAVE made a few phone calls, but he never follows up or returns phone calls. THAT is kinda sh!tty business.

Meanwhile, he (Park) had an impressive spread of reasonably-priced ForwardLook parts at Carlisle.
I guess it's just better to deal with him in person.

-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2009-09-03 2:04 PM
imopar380
Posted 2009-09-03 3:07 PM (#187485 - in reply to #187467)

Expert 5K+

Nathan, I wouldn't call him a professional when he writes stuff like this.  According to the Universal Laws of Customer Service ,  the customer is ALWAYS right.   (  even when they're not )  but in this case this guy is definitely a jerk.   Talk about wasting his OWN time.  
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-03 3:15 PM (#187488 - in reply to #187467)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

So, how's Murray Park to deal with--OK, in person; never met the man.

Does he have a website?

At least Johhny Rotten didn't charge you for all the time that he spent WRITING his missives!

A LOT of insurance agents will not provide any coverage quotes over the telephone; get
them to come into the office, if they are sincere in getting a coverage quote.

Edited by d500neil 2009-09-03 3:19 PM
imopar380
Posted 2009-09-03 3:15 PM (#187489 - in reply to #187450)

Expert 5K+

And yeah - most of us, like you are bargain shoppers.... not like the BJ auction buyers and rich restoreres with endlessly deep pockets ! I actually just received a FREE item from a fellow WPC member for my car. Talk about a bargain.... we met at the National Meet in Sacramento and I mentioned I needed a power antenna top mount nut, impossible to find as it is a 3/4 inch nut with 32 threads per inch and into the bargain, its not a typical nut, its a chrome plated half sphere that's threaded. I had been looking around for months. He told me he had several and would send me one in the mail upon returning home. It arrived today. It made me a happy guy - and that's what this hobby is all about - people helping people.
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-03 3:21 PM (#187491 - in reply to #187450)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

And, you slipped the guy a fin, or a sawbuck, right, Ian?
imopar380
Posted 2009-09-03 3:28 PM (#187492 - in reply to #187491)

Expert 5K+

d500neil - 2009-09-03 12:21 PM And, you slipped the guy a fin, or a sawbuck, right, Ian?

I've edited and loaded a bunch of photos of some of his Mopar collection on the WPC Club members photos area. http://www.chryslerclub.org/memberphotos15.html Other than that I am at his complete and utter disposal.

Edited by imopar380 2009-09-03 3:47 PM
1960fury
Posted 2009-09-03 3:42 PM (#187496 - in reply to #187492)

Expert 5K+

he is a psycho
big m
Posted 2009-09-03 4:16 PM (#187504 - in reply to #187450)

Expert 5K+

Unprofessional, unacceptable behavior.

---John
hemidenis
Posted 2009-09-03 4:32 PM (#187509 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

So this is Imperialbuba business manners?, Well with a letter like that he lost another customer, I think 90% of the guys are like you Nathan, so “F” word for Mr buba.
Goddarn, you are not looking for Messerschmitt Me 262 or Bugatti parts!. What the hell is wrong with the FL cars vendors, it is Gary the only honest person left?
Murray: I dealt with him before, he knows what things worth using Ebay as a parameter, I chased him 3 (three) years at Carlisle, for a set of speedometer and gauge set for my 57 Imperial.
The first year I saw them my jaw just dropped to the ground because the ZERO sun damage on them (57-58 Imperial owners know), no scratches, just a 100-point perfect used, they really look like NOS.
3 years later, when I finally stuck a deal, they were deeeep scratches all over the lenses, but for $100 please, those phosphorus letters and numbers in the face are un-restorable.
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-03 4:56 PM (#187515 - in reply to #187509)

What was Murray's original asking price on that speedo housing?---back when it was in perfect condition?

BigBlockMopar
Posted 2009-09-03 5:00 PM (#187517 - in reply to #187509)

Expert

Nathan, not much you can do about a clown like that, other than to have some fun with him and take it to another level...: Shoot him some more emails, just somewhat exusing yourself that you're sorry and crap like that, and ask him for a couple of other parts orso because now you're really against a wall with these. Just to yank his rusty ole chain ofcourse, and make him spend another hour orso of his useless time writing lengthy bullsh!t replies like he so gladly does... After all, revenge should be sweet right...
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-03 5:37 PM (#187531 - in reply to #187517)

Herman, that's 'funny', but nooooo.....not in this country, nowadays, where people bring weapons, even to presidential
gatherings, as a 'message-joke'.

Let Johnny have the last word, as he himself "ordered"....well, that's KIND of true, Johnny, except
for the 'air-play' that your messages are receiving, here.

Edited by d500neil 2009-09-03 8:43 PM
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2009-09-03 7:16 PM (#187545 - in reply to #187450)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Nathan! WTF did you do to Murray Park to get on 'his' feces list?!
Fins/413
Posted 2009-09-03 7:17 PM (#187546 - in reply to #187450)

Extreme Veteran

I believe mr professional needs to be institutionalized or at least medicated. Talk about a monumental waste of time, those two long emails. Also when is buying something from GL qualify you a a bargain hunter. His items look great but I wouldn't describe them as bargains.
Ray
Posted 2009-09-03 8:22 PM (#187553 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

""THAT is when Rosen came unglued....""

I feel that this kind of behavior may indicate that this type of person has never been securely "glued". They have lived with some sort of serious personality disorder for a significant period and they have been coping by being somewhat "loosely tacked" together. They quickly become un-tacked and revert to infantile behavior (tantrums) when they are not in control of every element in their life. None of us are in control of everything and most mentally healthy people realize that their lives include a lot more than "me".

If I had written something similar and re-read it the next day, I would be doing some serious self- reflection. If it happened again, I would seek help.

Nathan, thanks for taking the time to lay this out for us. Who knows what might happen if someone was dealing with him face-to-face.

Edited by Ray 2009-09-03 10:47 PM
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-09-03 11:49 PM (#187574 - in reply to #187545)

alumcanTandThd - 2009-09-03 7:16 PM

Nathan! WTF did you do to Murray Park to get on 'his' feces list?!

Hell if I know... Best I can figure he just doesn't wanna fool with looking for the parts I needed.
I had no idea that I was on his "blacklisted customer" roster. I guess that explains why he didn't return my calls.

Anyway, screw both of those guys... I'm grateful for guys like Big M, Smitty, and MoPar City (among others).
They understand our common lot in life with regard to finned MoPars.

-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2009-09-04 9:22 AM
hemidenis
Posted 2009-09-03 11:54 PM (#187576 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

The price of the gauges was $100 each. This bubba it is something; i mean he is not the only guy who sells parts. Looks like he is convinced that we need him more than he needs us. Honestly I think he is just a clown.

Edited by hemidenis 2009-09-03 11:55 PM
Posted 2009-09-04 12:19 AM (#187580 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

You sure do piss a lot of people in the "business" off. I don't have any clue if you deserve the treatment or not, but what I am getting at here is first the guy from SMS and then Rosen, who I have dealt with any found to be extremely helpful, and at least over the phone a very nice guy. Something just dosen't seem right for you to have so many people mad at you. You might want to take an honest look at how you are talking to these people, maybe they are taking what you have to say wrong because of your verbal tone or something to that affect? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you deserve poor treatment, I just think it is odd that you are recieving it so regularly.
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-09-04 6:14 AM (#187590 - in reply to #187580)

5859 - 2009-09-04 12:19 AM
Something just dosen't seem right for you to have so many people mad at you. You might want to take an honest look at how you are talking to these people...

The only pattern that I see is this:
I'm having problems with the some of the same people who have received numerous complaints from other customers, too.

My only "fault" here is the fact that I chose to give these guys a chance. Admittedly, I did so out of desperation.
After all, there are PLENTY of other ForwardLook parts people out there I would rather have dealt with. I've been screwing around with these finned cars nearly 13 years now... Over that time, I've talked to just about EVERY vendor who deals in the things we need. Most all of them are very nice - Some are exceptionally great folks - Some are jerks - and Some are downright ass-holes.

If you're wondering about the way I conduct myself, why don't you go ask Big M or 58Donnie what kind of guy I am? I've done a sh!tload of business with each of those guys. Neither has ever uttered a foul word toward me. In fact, I've talked to each of them at length - on numerous occasions, and I have NEVER heard them say one bad thing about ANY customer for that matter.

Do you think perhaps that the fact that I've had two such experiences in such proximity to one another COULD have SOMETHING to do with the fact that I'm searching for Hard-To-Find parts on a STRICT DEADLINE? Meaning I've had to scrape the so-called "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to finding someone to deal with. Ordinarily, I would've rather done business with someone else, but as Rosen so aptly pointed out, sometimes he is, in fact "the only SONOFABITCH on the planet" that had some of the things I needed.

In ANY business, it's the CUSTOMER who puts BREAD ON THE TABLE! Most vendors / business owners understand that. You would think that, in today's economy, such a principle would be clear to everyone... but some pompous, parts-hoarding "Imperial"ists would like to pretend they can pander to only a specific type of consumer - the kind with limitless resources. I see that as not only delusional, but also as a type of financial discrimination.

As I expected, there are always at least one or two folks who might be inclined to offer the "Take a look in the mirror" rhetoric... Meanwhile, I maintain that my only mistake was failure to heed the warnings that others issued before me.

I guess I'm just one more naive MoFo... I'd REALLY like to believe there's some good in everyone. Therefore, I usually prefer to reserve judgment until I have been personally wronged by someone.

That said, I can now offer my own advice on Rosen & SMS. Like others before (who may have simply used the 'wrong tone'), I now can also warn you all to STAY CLEAR of these folks.

Take this advice for what it's worth.
-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2009-09-04 6:32 AM
dukeboy
Posted 2009-09-04 6:14 AM (#187591 - in reply to #187580)

Expert 5K+

Like mentioned above, it IS part of doing business having people Price shop....It's like that TV comercial where the guys basement is flooding and he's on the phone with the repair man talking about how he needs to price around as he doesn't want to get "Ripped off" with water steady filling his house...While funny, it does grate on someones nerves to "Go the extra mile" only to find out all you really wanted was prices, or went with the competition...When people call the shop wanting me to look up and price out a whole laundry list of stuff for comparison reasons, I simply tell them I'll be glad to and give them an on the high side quick "guess" and move on...I HAVE SURELY felt like telling a few of them when they ask questions looking for someone to diagnose a problem over the phone and just want you to tell them what's wrong so they can go home and fix it for free, some of the very things mentioned above. But, I've found marking the prices up when I'm the only one that will mess with it seems to get the job done just fine....All Rosen woulda had to do to feel better was just mark the prices up if you feel slighted..If the customer needs it that bad, you'll get yours and he'll end up "Paying" for his "Waisting your time" too....I know for a FACT that some vendors right here on this site have different prices for different people...Some are higher just because every time they call, it seems like a whole day is "Waisted" on them for about $50.00 worth of sales...

Just an FYI here Manning.....PSSST, if you don't wanna set a vendor off, don't actually tell 'em you went with the competition..
You found out where Rosen's Button is now...Can you emagine what would happen if you were pricing with your boy there in Tn, and told him you were gonna have ME do the bodywork on it? I bet it wouldn't be lookin' for a pleasent response........While it a refreshing surprise NOT to have to kiss ass to get what you need for your project at a deal, sometimes, you just HAVE TO....I'll tell you your 'ol lady looks like Jessica Simpson if it'll get you to sell me my parts at a deal...Anything NOT to piss off the very person that is my "Last resort".....But that's just me...

Edited by dukeboy 2009-09-04 6:38 AM
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-09-04 6:58 AM (#187593 - in reply to #187591)

dukeboy - 2009-09-04 6:14 AM
Just an FYI here Manning.....PSSST, if you don't wanna set a vendor off, don't actually tell 'em you went with the competition..
You found out where Rosen's Button is now...Can you emagine what would happen if you were pricing with your boy there in Tn, and told him you were gonna have ME do the bodywork on it? I bet it wouldn't be lookin' for a pleasent response........

Chaney,

I understand what you're trying to say. Meanwhile, I believe in being honest, perhaps to a fault. That said, I feel as though a vendor should know there's a "price to beat" before I ever "waste their time" looking for parts on my account. If they can't match the price I've found elsewhere, there's no need for either of us to waste more time.

In fact, I would like to think a vendor would appreciate such candid honesty. After all, it's ME, (THE CUSTOMER) who has actually invested ALOT of MY time in 'bargain-shopping'... Doing my homework, and finding the best parts for the best price. Unfortunately, a thorough knowledge of different vendors often comes at the cost of having being taken for a ride, so to speak, as a freshman to this hobby. Over the years, I have learned (and I'm still learning) who to deal with, and who to stay away from. All valuable lessons indeed.

Now, no offense meant, but do you honestly think there is any possible way you (or anyone, really) could price my job lower than "my boy" here in Tn? I know I could get an Earl Scheib special for less money, but I'm assuming we're talking about high quality work for a good price. Keep in mind I would have to pay a huge fee to have a car hauled to any other shop before ANY work got done. I'm just thankful that such a skilled professional happens to be near me, and more affordable than other places around here, too. Not to mention the fact that "my boy" knows these cars like no other shop within a hundred miles of me. In fact, "my boy" here in Tn. (like other vendors I have used) already KNOWS that I checked the competition (and failed miserably) before going to him. Like others, from around the region to around the WORLD, I found that there was just no better deal for the money. AFTER shopping around I am able to make an INFORMED decision, and as a consumer, that makes all the difference to me.

Like many of the cliche' car dealer ads... Most businesses would agree, "Shop Us First, Or Shop Us Last... Just Be Sure To Shop Us With Your Business." Like most consumers, I'm a little sharper than just thumbing through the YellowPages from A to Z, or jumping with the first boat that floats along.

Good business is good business, regardless of price. However, in our current economic situation, it makes the most sense to make your dollars go further. Can anyone really argue with THAT?

-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2009-09-04 7:03 AM
58Donnie
Posted 2009-09-04 7:57 AM (#187597 - in reply to #187593)

Account Suspended

It's my general practice to undercut any estimate from another shop or at least give you more for the same money. I would rather break even or less and get your business because for me it's all about reputation building and the fact that if I treat somebody right they will come back. But I have never had to do that because generally my prices are cheaper than anybody because I do all I can to keep them that way.

I think greed drives many in this economy and it shows with things like this. The vendor wants to get more and the buyer wants to pay less and there you have what has brought our economy to where it is.
59caddyhog
Posted 2009-09-04 10:39 AM (#187606 - in reply to #187450)

Veteran

Sounds to me like you didn't order the lenses that he got for you anyway mate.

Not your fault I would say.

Edited by 59caddyhog 2009-09-04 10:41 AM
Evil_Fury
Posted 2009-09-04 10:47 AM (#187607 - in reply to #187450)

Veteran

I WAS DEAD RIGHT, MANNING - YOU ARE A SERIAL TIME-WASTER OF OTHER GUYS' TIME.

NOT JUST MINE.

I CALLED MURRAY PARK IN TIFFIN, OHIO, THIS MORNING TO WARN HIM ABOUT YOU.

WE DO THAT FOR EACH OTHER.

TOLD HIM TO STICK YOUR NAME ON HIS BLACK LIST OF PATHOLOGICAL TIME-WASTERS.

HE SAID..."OH...THAT GUY'S ALREADY THERE".

YOU'RE AN ARROGANT JERK, MANNING, AND YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN BLITHELY WASTE THE TIME OF OLD PROS SUCH AS MURRAY PARK AND JOHNNY ROSEN, AND THAT YOUR DISRESPECT OF US WILL NEVER COME BACK TO BITE YOU IN YOUR LYING ASS.

CLEARLY, YOU THINK YOU ARE WAY TOO SEXY FOR YOUR SHIRT MANNING.

BYT WE HAVE SEEN YOUR TYPE BEFORE.

OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

NONE OF US GRIZZLED OLD PROS IN THIS RACKET FELL OFF THAT OLD TURNIP TRUCK, LAST NIGHT, MANNING.

YOUR JUVENILE BRAIN IS WAY TOO IMMATURE TO COMPREHEND THE HATRED AND THE DISGUST YOU ARE ENGENDERING AMONG THOSE OF US FOR WHOM TIME IS EVERYTHING.

Ha!!

I can think of another vender (Plymouth Rock) who likes to make crude remarks... then when a legitimate complaint gets raised then it gets removed this forum.... I wondering if I complain enough about this post... maybe I will get my way.. Probably not... I guess that vender is special.. If anyone would like to read those remarks from that vender... Please let me know.

http://ccc.informe.com/forum/vendor-advertising-feedback-f11/plymou...

Let's see how long my post will stay here...

Edited by EVIL_FURY 2009-09-04 11:00 AM
59caddyhog
Posted 2009-09-04 11:05 AM (#187608 - in reply to #187450)

Veteran

Oh here we go again.

"Captain Chipped shoulder to the Rescue"

http://WWW.CHRISTINECARCLUB.CO.UK/
http://WWW.INTERNATIONALCHRISTINECLUB.COM
Evil_Fury
Posted 2009-09-04 11:09 AM (#187609 - in reply to #187450)

Veteran

Na.. No chip.. Just making a point.
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-09-04 11:16 AM (#187610 - in reply to #187607)

EVIL_FURY - 2009-09-04 10:47 AM
Ha!!
I can think of another vender (Plymouth Rock) who likes to make crude remarks... then when a legitimate complaint gets raised then it gets removed this forum.... I wondering if I complain enough about this post... maybe I will get my way.. Probably not... I guess that vender is special.. If anyone would like to read those remarks from that vender... Please let me know.

http://ccc.informe.com/forum/vendor-advertising-feedback-f11/plymou...
Let's see how long my post will stay here... ;)

Alright, Chuck...

I was wondering how long this could go before one of YOU guys tried to make it about something it's not.
As far as I'm concerned your post can stay on here until Hell freezes over... If you choose to hijack a thread, that's your own business.
How long others may allow your post to stay is beyond my control... So whatever happens, it's out of my hands.

Meanwhile, If you have a legitimate PERSONAL BEEF with any particular vendor, I suggest that you do what I did - and start your OWN THREAD.
That's what this entire section of the forum is about.

I've had no problems with Plymouth Rock. In fact, I have nothing but good things to say about Donnie and his business.
HOWEVER, those good things will be said in a relevant thread... Not this one. After all... Again, THIS THREAD CONCERNS JOHNNY ROSEN - and subsequently, Murray Park as it seems.

I started this thread as a service to inform others regarding MY OWN PERSONAL dealings with a particular vendor, Johnny Rosen.
Aside from this post, never once have I mentioned 'Plymouth Rock' in this thread... save for the fact that Donnie (and Big M, and Smitty, and others) have been square dealers with ME from the start.

I'm not trying to make any enemies here, but please understand how I'm trying to keep things focused.
I have no personal problem with you, Chuck. I enjoyed talking to you at Carlisle, and hope we can shoot the sh!t again sometime at your club tent.

Sorry for the (continued) rant... I'm just so pissed about this whole deal with Rosen.
It's important to me to make sure everyone knows what's going on with this situation.
I know you can understand where I'm coming from.

-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2009-09-04 11:34 AM
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2009-09-04 11:23 AM (#187613 - in reply to #187607)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Nathan. No, what I meant was,,,,, what and how many dealings, have 'you' had with MP up there, to get on his 'poop' list?

'We' (Fearless' web site here) have a (warning/praise/feces list) vendor section. Is there anyway, to get ALL of the vendors' feces lists?
So 'WE" might see who is on what list? Maybe a persons name was put on the vendors' feces list by ,,,,,,,, mistake, or,,,?
Another possibility, if 'we' know who is on what list, 'we' can 'boy-cot' that vendor,,,,(?) Does this make any sense, what I'm trying to convey?

I know, I'm on the 300 club's feces list. (since the early '90's) Possibly, because of that, some of the vendors that cater to the 300's, (trickle300nomics) won't respond to my parts inquiries.
How do I know this? I was told so by a past prez. Plus, I was threatened by a law suit, by some muckety-muck, If I ever sold certain 300-D parts. (F%$# him/them. MY parts, I can do with them whatever I want) I sold 'em over to a guy in a foreign country, who NEEDED those parts,,,,,,. He told me in so many words, he was threatened 300 club membership expulsion because he had dealt with me.
(I'm curious as to how many vendors' feces lists, 'I'm" on?)

Anyway.

Nate, don't feel pregnant. You 'aren't to only one who is on a vendors' feces list.
Evil_Fury
Posted 2009-09-04 11:35 AM (#187615 - in reply to #187450)

Veteran

I'm not trying to make enemies Nathan, I did have a PERSONAL BEEF with Donnie Taylor/plymouth rock and HIS PROFESSIONALISM and I DID make my own POST on here which was locked then removed. When it was removed I found that amazing.... why is one vendor better than another vendor? Why is that special vendor above criticism. It should be the same for everyone no matter what... Again sorry for hijacking your thread but I thought it should be said.

Chuck

Edited by EVIL_FURY 2009-09-04 11:38 AM
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-09-04 11:37 AM (#187616 - in reply to #187613)

alumcanTandThd - 2009-09-04 11:23 AM
Nathan. No, what I meant was,,,,, what and how many dealings, have 'you' had with MP up there, to get on his 'poop' list?

Again, I have NO idea, Rick. Apparently it's pretty easy.
I called M.P. a couple of times with regard to a short list of parts I needed.

He quoted a few prices - and said he would call me back about the other items.
When I never received a call back, I went elsewhere.

I figure if he doesn't care enough to follow up, I shouldn't care enough to keep trying.
Bottom line - HE LOST THAT SALE. Not my fault.

If THAT is what puts me on his feces list, so be it.
All I was doing was checking on parts and prices - just like any of us do on a regular basis.

========

EVIL_FURY - 2009-09-04 11:35 AM

I'm not trying to make enemies Nathan, I did have a PERSONAL BEEF with Donnie Taylor/plymouth rock and HIS PROFESSIONALISM and I DID make my own POST on here which was locked then removed. When it was removed I found that amazing.... why is one vendor better than another vendor? Why is that special vendor above criticism. It should be the same for everyone no matter what... Again sorry for hijacking your thread but I thought it should be said.

Chuck

All I know to tell you is to try it again, Chuck. That's your own battle, and I'll stay out of it... Most everyone already knows I'm delighted with Donnie's work thus far - My '60 Chrysler is proof that I'm happy. If your desire is to put another negative feedback thread on here, I won't be the one to stop you. Again, my praise for Donnie's work will stay in the threads where it belongs - and where it's relevant. I only ask that you afford me the same courtesy with regard to your own experiences.

Meanwhile, If you have a problem with JOHNNY ROSEN or MURRAY PARK... feel free to discuss it RIGHT HERE - on THIS THREAD.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Thanks for understanding,
-NM

Edited by Nathan D. Manning 2009-09-04 11:53 AM
57plymouth
Posted 2009-09-04 2:36 PM (#187645 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

I think Rosen is right. You are a jerk Manning.

Thhhppppppttttt!
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-04 2:41 PM (#187647 - in reply to #187616)

Whew; wow....

Back on thread, wasn't it J. Rotten who had an ad in Hemmings, for many years (maybe still posted there?) where he advertised that he "had" (access to) many vintage parts, but, he was really just acting as a parts-LOCATOR???

Edited by d500neil 2009-09-04 2:42 PM
hemidenis
Posted 2009-09-04 4:07 PM (#187656 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

The only thing I can said is that the FL world is too small to screw people, I purchase my stuff from 90% Ebay 9% Carlisle 1% others.
Hearing this bunch of ass-hole FL sellers I always wonder why I found a 57 Imperial, in that chicken farm, and not a Cadillac.
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-04 4:44 PM (#187661 - in reply to #187656)

..Good Car-ma, Denis!

alumcanTandThd
Posted 2009-09-04 6:12 PM (#187675 - in reply to #187661)

Wise Old Village Idiot

That's ALL you did?! Call up there for parts and prices?! A 'f^%$n'' verbal telephone call?! That's it?!

Nathan, do you have a f^%$ed up accent, (like I do, Appalachia Dutch/German. Tar, far, hit, fir, yonder, fixen, winder, widgeyadija, etc) and he/they took you, the wrong way?

You got a email addy on Rosen, and MP? I'll email 'em, and if neither gets back to me,,,,,, looks like 'I'm' on their 'feces list' too. (sigh)

Oh, BTW,,,,, Nathan's a a jerk! Nathan's a twerp! Nathan's a p^%%$y! (sheepsly grinning). I forgot my usual Nathan bashing. Sorry if you missed my Nathan oral diarrhea. I'll remember to be sure to include next post. Whoo-Haw!
Posted 2009-09-04 8:52 PM (#187695 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

Well, like I said, I have no idea if you deserved the treatment or not, none of us were there, and all we have to go on is what you said happened. It seems like the two vendors are awfully mad, and if your part was exactly what you said it was, they are out of line. Has Rosen been a loose cannon whith others on here? I guess now would be the time to speak up.
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2009-09-05 12:03 AM (#187710 - in reply to #187450)

Expert 5K+

From some of the posts that come up every so often by certain same people, I sure wouldn't be proud to be a Christine car club member. It even sheds a bad light on all christine car owners- you know--birds of a feather?
NO CLASS!!! .........................MO
Evil_Fury
Posted 2009-09-05 12:22 AM (#187715 - in reply to #187710)

Veteran

Hmm, I thought this was a vender to customer topic. It has nothing to do with owning a Christine so quit digging up that old excuse. (Learn some new tricks)

Edited by EVIL_FURY 2009-09-05 12:40 AM
darbydun
Posted 2009-09-05 1:38 AM (#187722 - in reply to #187450)

Regular

I usually don't weigh into these discussions because everyone has a perspective. However, I will be interested if Manning actually receives the dome lights from George "right away". I was also told that items were ready for shipping and I am now 4 years and $1,000 poorer and still do not have the pair of hardtop dome lights that I paid for and have not received. In addition I still do not have Chrysler Wagon Back-up lights, Wagon surrounds, license tag light , and 57 hood emblem. George does not answer my e-mails but I noticed he is back on e-bay selling again.

I have dealt numerous times with Murray Parks. Yes he is hard to reach and slow to respond but he also has a day job. I have gone several times to his yard and as long as I let him know what I wanted and when I was coming out, he has always come through. Murray is an Ok guy and has always dealt me fair just need to be patient with him. A lot of times if you leave a message with his wife, he gets back to you sooner.

Ahh Johnny Rosen. I can't bad mouth the guy because when I was looking for rear quarters for my two door 57 and 58 Chryslers and sent him over $3,000 for several pairs, it turned out he was unable to locate the quarters. He did find some for four door hardtop rear quarters but not the two doors. I did not need the 4 door quarters and to his credit, he refunded the full amount of my money. I received a refund check within days and it cleared without a hitch. Try to get that from George.

Just my experiences with the vendors mentioned.
hemidenis
Posted 2009-09-05 1:37 PM (#187763 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

Would be nice to add your Australian experience in to the vendor area. If he is on Ebay, go ahead and bid "to win" and just request your stuff from him in "exchange" for the won item and leave the proper feedback.
he is 100% feedback, can you believe that?

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/desotoduncan/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_fro...

Edited by hemidenis 2009-09-05 1:40 PM
d500neil
Posted 2009-09-05 3:29 PM (#187767 - in reply to #187450)

As I mentioned, on Denis' new thread, on Mr. Laurie, all Laurie's Feedback (100%) is from sellers who sold stuff to HIM.

As R. Nixon said : "But that would be wrong..." to buy something from him, or have someone else buy something that he might need, from Laurie, but to have/let the aggrieved person post some NEG-Feedback on him, and maybe explain why the NEG-F is being posted. If the complaint is (too) off-subject, Mr. Laurie might be able to get the 'Pay to remove that post.

At least, there might be a bit of shock value in that Feedback, until the Feedback might be removed, as it might not relate to the subject sale-transaction.

Edited by d500neil 2009-09-05 3:30 PM
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2009-09-06 1:31 AM (#187805 - in reply to #187715)

Expert 5K+

EVIL_FURY - 2009-09-04 11:22 PM

Hmm, I thought this was a vender to customer topic. It has nothing to do with owning a Christine so quit digging up that old excuse. (Learn some new tricks)
OK lets clarify it. You are the one that stirs up sh*t every so often. I thought this juvenile squabble between the Christine owners was laid to rest--but noooo, you have to get in your digs. and then hide behind some lame excuse like the above post of yours. None of my business but many members are tired of it, but won't say anything for not wanting to offend. That don't bother me- so now is the time and place to say- knock it off! There are other people on this site than your Christine club members. Don't you have your own site where you can stir crap to your content?......................MO
lawrence
Posted 2009-09-06 1:53 AM (#187806 - in reply to #187450)

Expert

Thanks for that Steve. Those hardcore Christine Car Club guys are making me want to vomit. As far as Rosen goes, his ebay ads have let everyone know he is crazy as hell!! He is a self proclaimed legend. He must hold himself right up there with our friend Big M!! NOT!!
Evil_Fury
Posted 2009-09-06 7:01 AM (#187813 - in reply to #187450)

Veteran

No I think it's the liquor that is going to make you vomit Larry. I'm surprised you can still type on your computer.. AA brother.. you should try it out.. Also stay on the topic...
Evil_Fury
Posted 2009-09-06 7:16 AM (#187814 - in reply to #187805)

Veteran

MOPAR-TO-YA - 2009-09-06 1:31 AM

EVIL_FURY - 2009-09-04 11:22 PM

OK lets clarify it. You are the one that stirs up sh*t every so often. I thought this juvenile squabble between the Christine owners was laid to rest--but noooo, you have to get in your digs. and then hide behind some lame excuse like the above post of yours. None of my business but many members are tired of it, but won't say anything for not wanting to offend. That don't bother me- so now is the time and place to say- knock it off! There are other people on this site than your Christine club members. Don't you have your own site where you can stir crap to your content?......................MO

No Steve just making an observation.. it had nothing to do with the clubs until YOU brought it up. So if you want to try and read something that's not there then you need to read it again. The club issue was laid to rest... and AGAIN I'll say it.. IT'S A VENDOR TO CUSTOMER THING. If a vendor treats something like crap then the customer has every right to give a honest comment on their experience. PERIOD. I'm a member of the Forwardlook and I have an opinion as a member... no matter if I'm part of another club so until my membership is removed for violating a rule then I will continue to post no matter what YOU think is going on behind my words. So stop drumming up drama that isn't there.

With that said.. I understand now that one vendor is above all others so I'm glad the truth is made clear.

I have done business with Johnny Rosen concerning several items for my friend and I have never had any problems like the above post stated... So it's unforunate that Nathan received an ugly email from John.

Edited by EVIL_FURY 2009-09-06 8:19 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)