The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling a Car Across State Lines
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Fanbladeus
Posted 2010-02-10 8:03 PM (#208965)
Subject: Selling a Car Across State Lines

Expert

Hey all

My father in law is selling his car to a guy in another state. How do you go about getting the title transfered? Should he just get it transfered here in Michigan and the guy can do what he needs to do get it set in his state?

Is it a big deal? What have you guys done?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tuffshift
Posted 2010-02-10 8:14 PM (#208969 - in reply to #208965)
Subject: RE: Selling a Car Across State Lines

Veteran

Fanbladeus - 2010-02-10 7:03 PM Hey all My father in law is selling his car to a guy in another state. How do you go about getting the title transfered? Should he just get it transfered here in Michigan and the guy can do what he needs to do get it set in his state? Is it a big deal? What have you guys done?

I don't know about the 'legal' aspects of this, but from my own experiences in making these sorts of transactions, generally speaking, I end up driving the vehical from the state I purchased it, to the state I intend on registering and licensing it, with no plates on it and only a paper sign in the rear window which simply says, "IN TRANSIT".

I have never been hassled by any LEO's in all the years I've done it this way, and I have seen plenty of them sitting in the medians, looking for 'bad guys' to stop.  I do however, have a signed bill of sale in the glove box, "just in case".

The ONLY time I ever had a question of titlement, was when I brought a vehicle into the States from Canada.  In that instance, I did have to have a valid (Ontario) registration on it, in order to get it across customs.

|YMMV

alumcanTandThd
Posted 2010-02-10 11:41 PM (#208998 - in reply to #208965)
Subject: Re: Selling a Car Across State Lines

Wise Old Village Idiot

Do NOT run ANY kind of paper/cardboard plates around Windchester VA! They don't care what is written on it!

You lost your vehicle for a few days. Untill you come back with proper whatever state license plates, insurance, and registration.

Oh, then there is a fine, impound costs, then release costs, and the wrecker fees.
Totals out between a grand and fifteen hundred bucks!

Windchester and several towns on Rt 17 from Berkley Springs WV to Windchester VA, are ALL listed on the national speed trap warning web site.
sparky7
Posted 2010-02-10 11:41 PM (#208999 - in reply to #208969)

Elite Veteran

Geez I dunno about the hand-made sign in the window. I have either gotten an "in transit" or "temporary" tag from the State DMV where the car originates. Before going to the DMV I get a police officer to fill out a form stating that the VIN is correct and then running a simple check to make sure the car is not stolen. And I have also called my insurance agent to have a rider placed on the vehicle; this part is as easy as making a phone call.

I really doubt that your insurance would cover a vehicle without any tags, running on public roads.

Just my $0.02

Sparky
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2010-02-11 12:23 AM (#209004 - in reply to #208969)

I have done this more times than I can remember involving about 1/4 of the states. The new owner simply brings the car and signed-off paperwork to the new state and applies for title change. Some require a vehicle inspection to verify tag numbers. My state has the State Patrol perform this function. The vehicle has to clear this inspection and you would be handed a form stating all is "correct" and you take this and the signed off title and the bill of sale to a licensing agency to complete the transaction.

No sense doing it twice by changing it over in your state and then having to do it again in the new state.
dukjupiter
Posted 2010-02-11 11:24 AM (#209050 - in reply to #208965)

Extreme Veteran

Do NOT run ANY kind of paper/cardboard plates around Windchester VA! They don't care what is written on it!

i hear that, driving without plates in ny is not recommended espescially now that they have these plate readers in the cars. best way, borrow you buddies dealer plate and reg her when you get her back home or get an intransit permit from the state your coming from. the seller can usually get that with a fax from your ins and your id before you get there to pick up your new ride.. midwest and west are a little more lenient i find but east coast your not gonna get far. timothy mcviegh (oklahoma city bomber and now my deceased nieghbor) was originally stopped for driving without a license plate. keep in mind why the police write tickets, its about the money (revenue) boys, not because they care if your just trying to get your new found pride and joy home and not doing anything devious or criminally insane. ok i gotta cut back on this morning coffee. i remain as dumb as i look.
StillOutThere
Posted 2010-02-11 12:08 PM (#209070 - in reply to #208965)

Unless there is something unique and unusual in your state law, the common practice across the US is that it is your responsibility as seller to deliver a clean title to the purchaser.  Meaning the title should have already been assigned in your name to show you had the right to sell the vehicle and you should sign it AND date it.  That title should have the correct matching VIN number of the vehicle on it and you should verify that with the purchaser present at the car so there is no disagreement as to the presence and match of the VIN on the title to the VIN on the car.   I think every state also offers some sort of form that releases you from liability for the car should the new owner drive it 5 miles to an accident or have it come off his trailer on the highway and injure someone.  Google for on-line printable "release of liability" form for your state.   Or if there is a state licensing office near you, walk in and ask for a couple of these forms.   You might also be required to provide a Bill of Sale, or the buyer might need one for his new state of residency.   Your state will also have a specific vehicle B of S form.  The Bill of Sale is going to state the selling price of the vehicle.  Most states have some sort of sales tax formula they are going to apply to the new registration.   Fact is not everyone is honest about these sales price statements.  Some states, such as California, have HUGE fines for lying about this aspect of your statement so be aware of the implications of lying in your state.   When the car leaves your driveway, call your insurance company and discontinue coverage on it because you don't own it any more and will get a refund of your premium starting with that date.  There is no reason whatsoever to keep your coverage while the buyer is transporting the car.

If you take care of YOUR end of the deal and cover YOUR liability and YOUR legalities, the rest is all the responsibility of your buyer.  He has to know what he needs to register the car back home.  His insurance policy for his modern or collector car covers his purchase for several days while he transports it.   It is in his policy as to how many days he has to notify them of his purchase but until then he is automatically covered.

Fanbladeus
Posted 2010-02-11 6:54 PM (#209153 - in reply to #208965)

Expert

I checked with the secretary of state office here and they advise that the seller and buyer meet up and transfer the title. Something weird in the law that it can always come back to bite you if you don't get it transfered out of your name officially at the office.

Thanks for all the info and advice.
57chizler
Posted 2010-02-11 7:09 PM (#209155 - in reply to #208965)

Expert

The states are all tied together by computers, in Calif you turn in the out of state plates and they give you new ones. The old plates are either returned to their state of origin or destroyed by mutual agreement.
sparky7
Posted 2010-02-11 11:02 PM (#209199 - in reply to #209155)

Elite Veteran

Some states require the seller to KEEP the plates and turn them into the DMV. I'm pretty sure California mandates this. I don't think there are many, if any, states where the "plate stays with the car", which used to be the practice in New Mexico. I would not let a car leave with my plates still on it unless my DMV said it's OK.

Sparky

Edited by sparky7 2010-02-11 11:05 PM
arizona mopar gold
Posted 2010-02-12 12:39 AM (#209202 - in reply to #209199)

Extreme Veteran

I have sold many cars across state lines also..and exported to New Zealand....in AZ..you have to notorize the title...and i also do the same with the bill of sale,...never had a problem yet...AZ you keep the plates..if the buyer across state lines has the car shipped...i mail him a copy of the title and bill of sale...then after the vehicle is picked up by the shipper (some shippers/truck drivers, like to see the original copies, thats why i hold them)...then i post them the originals via cert'ed mail
50scars
Posted 2010-02-12 7:51 PM (#209283 - in reply to #208965)

Elite Veteran

In Illinois, you can transfer plates from one vehicle to another one. If you do it within a couple weeks, the cops will allow you to have plates from one car on another one you recently bought, like a week or so after the title has been signed. Do be certain that the title to the vehicle you are driving is in your possession as well as the registration for the plates. Actually, unless you drive in such a manner that attracts attention of the cops, if there are plates in place that would be legal on the vehicle, they generally don't get all that curious.
d500neil
Posted 2010-02-12 8:15 PM (#209286 - in reply to #209283)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

As above noted, in CA the plates identify the CAR, not the owner of the car (as in NV and IN).

In other words, the plates stay with the car, when it is re-sold.

Here, the DMV, on a brand new plate-less car, or on an existing-plated car, gives you a 6"x6" red new-purchase paper
that you tape to the back window, which has the month that that 'registration' expires shown as a digit (such as a '10',
for October), by which time the buyer should have received his license plates, or, a formal title-registration sheet, from the
DMV.

Edited by d500neil 2010-02-12 8:16 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)