The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Glass polishing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

ram300
Posted 2010-02-28 4:30 PM (#211944)
Subject: Glass polishing

Extreme Veteran

I need to get the back windshield for my 300C looking better than what it is. It's got the shaded upper portion which makes it hard to find a nicer replacement than the one I have, plus I like the thought of having the original glass in the car. It has some lighter scratches as well as a couple of deeper ones. Any body got tips or a process for polishing glass? Products/tools to use? Is this a home job or am I better sending it out to get top or at least the best possble results?

Thanks
Owen
Top of the page Bottom of the page
60 dart
Posted 2010-02-28 6:38 PM (#211957 - in reply to #211944)
Subject: Re: Glass polishing

Expert 5K+

of the dozen or so glass replacement shops i talked to , to polish out automotive glass is basicaly a waste of time , it can't be polished even thus creating a blur . i had to pass up a 60 dodge windshield for 25.00$because of this .perfect except for wiper marks a little deep----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------later
StillOutThere
Posted 2010-02-28 7:07 PM (#211966 - in reply to #211944)

The old rule is if there is ANYTHING anywhere on the glass on which you can catch your fingernail as you drag it along, that is not going to polish out. Lighter stuff is supposed to and Eastwood sells polishing kits for you to try it at home and every glass shop has the same materials on hand so that if they slip and make a mistake or need to save a scratched glass or mirror that is their fault, they can attempt it. In my experience, I've NEVER had a glass shop agree to do any polishing on my collector car glass. The potential is that it will get overheated and shatter because it apparently takes a great deal of friction to make the abrasive actually do any polishing. I've tried the Eastwood kit and got absolutely nowhere myself.
And there are no replacement new backglasses out there for the tall windows of '57-59 Chrysler and DeSoto hardtops so attempting anything professionally or at home is a real risk.
phins
Posted 2010-03-01 2:19 PM (#212048 - in reply to #211966)

Elite Veteran

i have used the glass top stove cleaner for removing scratches in glass with great results. you can get it at any home supply store lowes homedepot ect. buy the name brand stuff- I used cooktop cleaner made by whirlpool GE probably makes it too i tried the cheaper stuff but it's too course. i even tried it on an old pair of eye glasses and it got all the scratches out of them too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)