The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

55 Dodge powersteering pump conversion
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

Burnemup
Posted 2010-09-29 11:14 AM (#243463)
Subject: 55 Dodge powersteering pump conversion

Veteran

I would like to change over to a alternator, but I have a generator with the Powersteering pump on the back of it. Has anyone done a conversion using a pump from a later Ply or Dodge that would work with my stock steering collium and still align with my belt layout?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2010-10-12 7:24 PM (#245287 - in reply to #243463)
Subject: RE: 55 Dodge powersteering pump conversion

Expert 5K+

Your best bet is to get an original pump setup from a '57-'58 325 or 315 Dodge motor. That would be the easiest and most straight-forward conversion. However, if you want to get a later model version, you need to use a low pressure pump. Typical pumps from the '60's have too much pressure. You can get a pump from an original rack & pinion application that has less pressure and should work out for you.

You can get GM power steering pump mounts from www.hothemiheads.com that might work, but it probably aligns to a chevy water pump instead of the original setup. It also uses a remote reservoir so I am not sure what that entails.
tmd171
Posted 2022-06-25 8:20 PM (#622381 - in reply to #243463)

Hi Ernie,
I recall looking at a thread (can't find it now) that showed your '55 (I think) with; a sanden compressor, an alternator, and a divorced pwr steering pump.

If I have the right car/person, could you shed some light on what components you used to make it all work?

I have a '56 CRL that I've already converted to alternator, but I want to figure out how to mount and drive an a/c compressor, and maybe ditch the generator mounted p/s pump.

Any help is appreciated!

Thx, Tom
Burnemup
Posted 2022-07-04 11:38 AM (#622602 - in reply to #243463)

Veteran

Hello, Yes when I converted to 12 volts/alternator. I had to design a mount to use a small Tuff Stuff p/s pump in as close as possible to stock location which positioned just below the alternator on drivers side. I learned that the Tuff Stuff pump was setup for a GM replacement 1500psi. The Dodge Power-steering was 850 PSI(I learned that after blowing the seals in the steering column. I had to replace the $12.00 pressure valve in the Tuff Stuff pump and rebuild the steering column to $500.00.(Live & Learn)

For some reason I'm having problems attaching some pictures.

Send me your email and I'll send you the pictures. My Email is ernestbaily@att.net
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)