The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

'58 DeSoto Firedome Sedan (S. California)
Moderators: ronbo97

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - EBAY, CRAIGSLIST & OTHER FINDSMessage format

Devioussquirrel
Posted 2011-02-28 11:02 PM (#262963)
Subject: '58 DeSoto Firedome Sedan (S. California)

Extreme Veteran

It sure does photograph beautifully:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=14051...

(58DS_FD.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 58DS_FD.jpg (65KB - 62 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-03-01 7:01 AM (#262984 - in reply to #262963)
Subject: RE: '58 DeSoto Firedome Sedan (S. California)

SOMEONE has access to a nice photo studio !

Car has accessory bumper guards, fender ornaments, and single rear antenna.

I see no description relating to the Q&A. Can anyone else see a description ?
GregCon
Posted 2011-03-01 11:19 AM (#263000 - in reply to #262963)
Subject: Re: '58 DeSoto Firedome Sedan (S. California)

Expert

I can't even see most of the photos.

soiouz
Posted 2011-03-01 11:32 AM (#263002 - in reply to #262963)
Subject: RE: '58 DeSoto Firedome Sedan (S. California)

Expert

Some of the best car photography I've seen! Superb way to sell a car!

There's really a ton of pics, but for those of you who can't see the pics on the auction link, here's a sample:

Edited by soiouz 2011-03-01 11:32 AM
Great Lakes Belv
Posted 2011-03-01 11:48 AM (#263006 - in reply to #262963)

Veteran

W O W... my jaw hit the floor. This goes to show what a difference quality lighting can make.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2011-03-01 2:48 PM (#263022 - in reply to #263006)

Outstanding exterior photos! You would think they would crop out that wheelie doo-dad in some of the shots. The sedan itself is terrific, but not quite as great as the photos. Trunk and engine details are ok, but don't match the fantastic condition of the exterior. This would be a great car to drive around in!
mstrug
Posted 2011-03-01 6:27 PM (#263053 - in reply to #262963)

Expert 5K+

Text:

It's delightful, it's de-lovely, it's DESOTO for 1958!

Presenting the best looking sedan of the Virgil Exner "Forward Look" era of 1957-'58:

THE 1958 DESOTO FIREDOME

4-door sedan, model LS2-M

A native California black-plate car, no rust anywhere!

OFFERED WITH A LOW RESERVE!

Below are pictures of my 1958 DeSoto Firedome. The car is a super clean rust-free California example with black plates dating to 1963, so its been in California for at least that long. I have been through this car backwards and forwards and have found no rust anywhere!

THE CAR:

This is a 1958 Firedome 4-door, six-passenger post sedan, model LS2-M, original base price of $3085 and total production of 9505 in model-year 1958. Originally equipped with a 361 cubic inch V-8 with 3-speed Torqueflite push-button transmission. Options on this car include a factory radio and chrome windsplits on the front fenders. It has factory power steering and power brakes, all in perfect working order.

THE BODY:

Anybody who knows Forward Look cars knows that rust is a major problem with them. This car is absolutely rust free and still has its original undercoating. Floor pans, body mounts, door sills, trunk flanges--they are all completely spotless. I have never seen a car of this vintage this clean. Check the pictures. The car was repainted sometime in the past ten years in dove gray with a white sweep and roof. The paint is in very good condition and the job was well done, with no major orange peel or runs. All body badges and ornaments are there. There is one minor scuff on the driver-side rear door down low that has been touched up with correct paint (car comes with small cans of both the gray and white), and a small part of the letter "S" on the hood lip DeSoto badge is missing. The chrome is in excellent shape. The stainless trim on the side has one or two door dings in it but otherwise is in excellent shape. I had the rear lower exhaust nacelles re-chromed last year. The rear bumper has a few small pits in it but is very presentable. The tail light stacks and lenses have faded slightly but none are cracked.

THE INTERIOR:
The car has been reupholstered to look vintage in two-tone gray/white vinyl with gray carpet, but it is not the correct material. It is in very good condition however and very few people will know that it's not perfectly correct. Lap seatbelts have been added both front and rear with through-bolts through the floor. The mileage showing is 67,439. I have no idea whether this is correct, but judging from the lightly used condition of the underbody, I do not doubt it. All gauges work as well as dashboard lights and switches. The amp meter reads low though the alternator produces a steady 13.7 volts. Fuel gauge works perfectly. I recently replaced the water temperature sender and the gauge works perfectly. Oil pressure reads max on cold start, but drops to 3/4 at hot idle. I use Chevron Delo 400LE 15w-40. The original ribbon speedometer makes some noise and is slow to wake up when its cold but eventually quiets down and is reasonably accurate. I have greased the speedo cable and the speedo gearbox and adjusted the tension screw. The wipers work perfectly, the fan blower works and runs quietly, and the heat/defrost vent adjuster works as does the heat temperature slider. The original clock has been replaced by a battery operated clock and that is dead (it just needs a new battery). The original AM radio is disconnected. The previous owner installed a remotely operated AM/FM stereo/trunk CD-changer with a head unit hidden in the glove box. It works fine. The steering wheel has a couple hairline cracks in the cream bakealite section of the rim, but is otherwise in very good condition. Since the studio shoot I have removed the three chintzy Sun gauges below the temperature slider (they didn't work anyway) so the dash now looks completely stock. The trunk is lined with rubber mat which I do not believe is original, though there is some original trim underneath the rear parcel shelf. The spare tire, jack, and iron are all there along with the original DeSoto spare tire jacking instructions. The original locking gas cap is still there and the key is on the key ring. All door winders work as well as the door locks.

THE ENGINE/TRANS:
The original 361 DeSoto engine was replaced by a previous owner with a Chrysler 383. The block stamping indicates that the engine is from 1967. It has a Weiand intake and new Holley 4-bbl carb, an Accel Super Coil and Mallory distributor. It is also fitted with aftermarket aluminum Mopar Performance rocker covers. Recent tuneup with new MSD ignition wires, plugs, and belts. The starter was rebuilt by Precision Power in Lansing, Michigan. The engine fires on the first crank and warm-idles at 750 rpm though the idle is a little thumpy, I'm guessing from the cam being changed to something a little more aggressive. The engine holds 70 mph at an even temperature on the freeway. It does burn some oil and leak a few drops from the front and rear main seal after driving. The transmission is an aluminum-case 3-speed Torqueflite operated by push-buttons on the dashboard. The previous owner had it rebuilt. It shifts easily and holds its lubricant pretty well. I recently replaced the rear differential pinion seal. It still weeps a drop or two after driving but nowhere near as bad as when I got it. The rear end is quiet and there are no clunks. The exhaust is in good shape though it does not exit through the bumpers as it's supposed to.

THE SUSPENSION/BRAKES/TIRES:
The front suspension was rebuilt on 8-11-09 by Johnson's Alignment Service, a respected local shop that has been in the same location since these cars were new. New control arm bushings and strut rod bushings were installed, the torsion bar ride height set, the steering gear preload set, and the car aligned. Since then it has developed a slight right pull, but not too bad. The wheel bearings feel tight and are quiet. The front brakes have been converted to disc and the job is a clean installation. The brakes work perfectly as does the parking brake (important in a Forward Look car, which does not have a "Park" setting for the transmission!). The whitewall radial tires show good tread but have some scuffs on the white walls. The hubcaps are dent free.

Clear California title. Comes with original owner's manual for 1958 and reproduction shop manual. A wonderful, solid driver that is a clean example of the amazing Forward Look era. If you can find one with less rust, buy it!

Full payment is due within one week of the auction close. Shipping is not included and the responsibility of the buyer, though if the buyer is local to Los Angeles, arrangements can be made. Please contact me via the "contact seller" option if you have any questions or would like additional photos. The car is located in Torrance, California.

Good luck bidding, and tell 'em Groucho sent you!

Have Car Will Cruise
Posted 2011-03-04 12:53 PM (#263442 - in reply to #262963)

Veteran

Recently, A magazine (Motor Trend?) had a brief write up about the studio where these photos were taken. The article stated that 99% of all online car/truck ads/auctions have horrible photos. This company was started up to provide better photographs for people wanting to sell their vehicles. The article had pictures of the Desoto as examples of their work.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2011-03-09 11:02 PM (#264126 - in reply to #263442)

As far as I can tell, this is the new gold standard for car advertisement photos!

And, just in case you are not convinced, this car SOLD for $14,500! I bet if this exact same car were advertised with the typical lousy photos, it would have trouble fetching $6,500.

Edited by Lancer Mike 2011-03-09 11:09 PM
GregCon
Posted 2011-03-09 11:47 PM (#264129 - in reply to #262963)

Expert

You see guys on Ebay who are small time dealers...they drive to a fancy neighborhood, usually a cul-de-sac, and take a bunch of pics of the car in front of a fancy house. The casual buyer assumes the car 'lives' there. It doesn't.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-03-10 8:21 AM (#264149 - in reply to #264129)

GregCon - 2011-03-10 8:47 PM

You see guys on Ebay who are small time dealers...they drive to a fancy neighborhood, usually a cul-de-sac, and take a bunch of pics of the car in front of a fancy house. The casual buyer assumes the car 'lives' there. It doesn't.

Don't say that ! You are crushing my trusting nature that all is as it appears.
1959 Belvedere Conv
Posted 2011-03-10 11:40 PM (#264235 - in reply to #262963)

Elite Veteran

But I like my Cul-de-sac! It was a super way of presenting this car.

Golf Clubs Club houses are also a great backdrop or in front of Lancer Mike's house will do too!
Lancer Mike
Posted 2011-03-10 11:45 PM (#264238 - in reply to #264235)

The Hovel? Welcome back John! I almost sent the Rocky Mountain Search and Rescue out for you (a Toy Chihuahua with a broken leg and a flask of tequila).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)