The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CHRYSLER 1960 Windshield Wiper Switch and Motor
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

wizard
Posted 2011-04-01 7:15 AM (#266766)
Subject: CHRYSLER 1960 Windshield Wiper Switch and Motor

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

I have an irritating problem - my wipers wont park, so I connected my spare motor and switch in a bench test. I don't have the co-ordinator switch as a spare yet, so I bypassed that function. The spare motor and switch works really good, but the motor mounted in the car wont reverse for some reason. For to be able to trouble shoot a little better than the manual explains, I measured all the terminals. Here is an explanation of the connections to the terminals on the back of the variable wiper switch. Hope that this can help someone out.

The +12 volt power supply arrives through a pink cable to the “B” terminal.
The “P” terminal (blue cable) is energized when the wiper switch is in “OFF” position. When the switch is turned to the “ON” position, the voltage drops to 0.
The "A" terminal (black) has no voltage when the switch is in the "OFF" position and +12 volt when the switch is turned "ON"
The “F1” terminal (red cable) send out +12 volt when the wipers runs in slow speed, the voltage drops when the knob is turned clockwise, for to remain at approximately 2,1 volt in the full speed position.
The “F2” terminal (yellow cable) gives a +12 impulse when the switch is turned off.

The connection “Control” is connected through a rubber tube to the “Control” on the pump of the Trico Co-ordinated washer system.
The valve which is seen from the backside of the switch has a nylon shaft that goes straight through the switch and comes out in the centre of the knob for the windscreen wipers. A plastic button is located in the knob, which is mounted on the shaft of the switch and secured with a locking screw.

When the button is pressed, the valve evacuates the vacuum in the pump chamber, which draws up the plunger and tensions the return spring – the spring presses the plunger, which pumps out washer fluid for 10-15 seconds.

Edited by wizard 2011-04-01 7:21 AM

(Resize of Wiper Switch Connections.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Resize of Wiper Switch Connections.jpg (61KB - 349 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ttotired
Posted 2011-04-01 7:58 AM (#266772 - in reply to #266766)
Subject: Re: CHRYSLER 1960 Windshield Wiper Switch and Motor

Expert 5K+

Wiz
Even though I am an auto electrician, The self park system on the US cars are a bit strange to me

Only help i can offer is the f2 impulse would mean to me that the self park contacts in the wiper motor are
ok and I would be makeing sure the wiper motor case is properly earthed (neg potential),

I know that a wiper that looses its earth conection on the motor will not park

Hope it helps

Mick
wizard
Posted 2011-04-01 9:08 AM (#266776 - in reply to #266766)

Thanks Mick, that was what I had in mind, I saw that the motor-bracket brass ground strap was broken on my spare motor, so I soldered it good. That made me think - what if the motor in the car has the same problem.
I did not know that the motor wouldn't park without proper ground, but it make perfect sense.
wizard
Posted 2011-04-01 12:45 PM (#266793 - in reply to #266766)

I checked if the motor had a bad ground problem with an extra ground wire - no such luck. Then I connected my spare wiper switch to the wiper motor in the car - same thing - no reverse. I'll try to hook up my spare motor to the car switch, coordinator and check if the fault is in the car circuit (doubt it) or in the motor (plausible). As Mike informs above good ground is important - bouth the switch and the motor must have a good ground. Tried to not ground the switch and the motor became almost twice as fast, but the variable speed does not work. When I grounded the switch, everything worked normally again.
imopar380
Posted 2011-04-01 3:03 PM (#266810 - in reply to #266793)

Expert 5K+

Sven, I used to have the same problem on my 1960 Polara when I was driving the car on a daily basis - that was back in 1974-1976, driving it daily in all kinds of weather. What I found was that the windshield wipers would not park when the weather was on an extended damp spell, lots of rain. I had to shut the switch off when the wipers were in the bottom position and they would not park the normal way. Then when the weather dried up they would resume parking again. Since the car has been in " collector " status now since the late seventies, it has never exhibited that problem again - it is never driven in wet weather. Even though I don't own the car the owner is a friend of mine and he says the problem has never happened to him.
wizard
Posted 2011-04-01 4:51 PM (#266823 - in reply to #266766)

Thanks Ian, the problems actually started exactly like that, but now dry weather and/or heated garage does not help any more - my guess now is a bad soldering in the motor.
wizard
Posted 2011-04-02 1:10 PM (#266891 - in reply to #266766)

I hooked up my spare motor to the car switch, coordinator and I can now confirm that there's no problem in the car circuit, the fault is in the motor.
di_ch_NY56
Posted 2011-04-11 3:39 PM (#268049 - in reply to #266766)
Subject: RE: CHRYSLER 1960 Windshield Wiper Switch and Motor

Expert

Sven, I'm glad to read your response that the problem has solved now.

I was curious about the wiper as well until I got out (after several trails - the only advantage of a rainy day... on the journey to Loerrach) that the wiper only returns to it's resting position when I switch it off close or around the top dead center. If only switch the wiper off around the top dead center it goes back to the parking position very reliable. Otherwise it stops immediately.

Happy motoring!

Dieter
wizard
Posted 2011-04-11 4:21 PM (#268056 - in reply to #266766)

The breaker points in the reduction gear will change logical state during the 360 degrees of arm travel. If one switch off the wipers in the "wrong" position, that might happen. My wipers behaved like that sometimes but now they never park, because the motor does not reverse. I will update this thread when I have changed the motor and inspected the old one.
imopar380
Posted 2019-02-25 9:17 PM (#578644 - in reply to #266766)

Expert 5K+

Update on this thread, I had mentioned above, that since my friend Ron had bought my 1960 Polara, the parking problem had happened intermittently several times. Well, last summer happened again. Here is how Ron troubleshooted the issue and repaired it.

" Our1960 Dodge Polara is equipped with variable speed windshield wipers. Over the last two decades there has been an intermittent malfunction of the windshield wipers in this car. Almost 100%of the time when the wipers were required, they worked fine. On several occasions though, when the wiper switch was turned off - the wipers would stop but not reverse and not go back to the park position. They would stop in any position immediately when witched off, but then, the wiper switch circuit breaker could be heard to trip revery 3 seconds. The only way to stop the circuit breaker from tripping was to turn off the ignition switch.

On several occasions I just turned off the ignition switch and came back later to find that the malfunction had miraculously healed itself. On one occasion, I recall that I kept turning the wiper switch on and off repeatedly and suddenly the situation righted itself, the wipers reversed and parked properly.

This issue was bothersome when it occurred but it was so infrequent that I would forget about it until it happened again. Then, last summer it happened again. I decided to tackle the issue. Because it would not park when switched off, I and others assumed it had something to do with the parking switch located in the wiper motor gear case. To service this switch necessitated the removal of the wiper motor which is buried under the dash panel high on the
fire wall. Access was accomplished by removing the glove box door, glovebox, right defroster duct, radio and dropping the air conditioner evaporator.

Once the motor was on the bench it became
obvious that the parking switch was never
intended to be serviced as it was riveted to the
gear housing cover. (I’m assuming that the
complete gear cover was supposed to be
replaced in the event of a park switch failure.)
After grinding off the rivet heads, the switch was
disassembled only to find there was nothing
wrong with it. The park switch was re-installed on
the gear cover plate using #6 X 32 machine
screws and nuts.
Then, my good friend Bob crawled under the left
side dash and extracted the wiper switch. On the
bench we attached wiring to from the motor to the
switch. To our dismay, it acted the same as when
it was in the car. We then assumed the problem
must be in the wiper switch. We then tested the
wiper switch to find out there was nothing wrong
with it. Then we decided to do some homework
on why this was happening.

I was aware that when the wiper switch is turned off, the polarity of the armature stays the same but the wiper switch reverses the polarity of both field circuits. This causes the motor to reverse and run in the opposite direction. What I didn’t realize is that this part of the circuit will not function unless the wiper switch itself is electrically rounded to the car chassis. If the switch is not securely grounded, the motor will not reverse because current is being fed to the fields and armature simultaneously creating a dead short.

A bracket was fabricated to mount the wiper switch to be mounted and grounded to the motor assembly.
It was only then that every thing worked properly. I took a look at the dash and noticed that both sides of the wiper switch dash mounting hole was well painted at the factory. Paint itself is an insulator. It would seem that the switch attaching bezel nut must be very tight to ensure that the switch is properly grounded to the dash. An old 3/8 drive deep socket was then used to make a proper tool to securely tighten the switch bezel nut. That loose ground connection between the wiper switch and dash was the cause of this Intermittent malfunction all these years.

Edited by imopar380 2019-02-25 9:21 PM
billy
Posted 2019-02-28 12:00 PM (#578710 - in reply to #266766)

Extreme Veteran

Thats great information Ian...my wipers never park correctly either. I always have to time turning the switch off to get them close to where they needed to be. Since i had to swap the wiper motor out a couple years back, i just thought my used replacemant wasn't the same as the original...now i have some ammo for troubleshooting this in my New Yorker...thanks again..
billy
normsclassicradio
Posted 2019-02-28 1:16 PM (#578712 - in reply to #266766)
Subject: RE: CHRYSLER 1960 Windshield Wiper Switch and Motor

Veteran

The wipers don't park on my 880 either. I think I will add a separate ground wire to the switch so I can use a ground screw to the dash. Wow, all the stuff one learns on this forum!

Edited by normsclassicradio 2019-02-28 1:18 PM
wizard
Posted 2019-03-01 6:00 AM (#578730 - in reply to #266766)

It's a good idea to pull a temporary ground wire, but for to be really sure, go from a good ground to the wiper motor and from the wiper motor to the switch.
If all works ok, then ground only the switch and see if the switch lacks good ground.

If the wipers still don't park, see the photo below - the park tab broken off.

(IMG_9826-rez.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_9826-rez.jpg (153KB - 228 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)