The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Make your own Wide White Walls...Tech
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

Bugman
Posted 2004-02-22 5:14 PM (#1736)
Subject: Make your own Wide White Walls...Tech

Elite Veteran

I'm sure you all know that WWW tires are expensive. Very expensive. Few people realize that you can just make your own. Start with a narrow white wall, or raised white letter tire. To get the stripe, or white letters, there is a wide layer of white around the sidewall. When the tire is made, a white strip is put on the black tire body, then another layer of black is put on. When the tire is completed, the black is shaved off the narrow WW strip, or the surface of the letters. To make a WWW, all you have to do is shave more of the outer layer of black off. Don't worry about weakening the sidewall, because you're not removing that much rubber, and this is the same process that is used for WWW's.

Start with a slightly worn 36 grit disk in a grinder. If it's to sharp(fresh) it tends to cut to fast and leave grooves. Go grind on some metal first if you're using a fresh disk. Once you start grinding, you will find the inner and outer edges of the white strip. Use these as a guide for your grinding. Use VERY light pressure. If you use to much, the rubber starts melting, and you'll get black streaks across the white. You also DON'T want to go through the white, because there's more black under it, and you'll end up with black spots. When I have it pretty well ground, I like to finish up with a DA and 80 grit paper. This isn't neccessary, but it leaves a better finish on the tire.

Your edges won't be perfectly round because the white strip isn't round, and you'll probably have a 1/4"-1/2" black ring around the inside edge. Not perfect, but close enough that most people won't notice. And, you've just saved yourself a boatload of cash per tire by spending less than an hour on each tire. Even if you don't have the tools to do it, with the money you'll save, you can then go buy them.

I highly suggest you practice on a few tires first to get the hang of it. It does make a mess, and smells like burnout, but that's not really a bad thing. You can see in this pic that we started with a "Widetrack Radial Baja." I spent maybe 20 minutes on the ground half. This method works for both Bias Ply, and radial tires. Happy grinding

-Jeff

Edited by Bugman 2004-02-22 5:27 PM

(tire2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tire2.jpg (11KB - 1077 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-02-23 3:01 AM (#1753 - in reply to #1736)
Subject: RE: Make your own Wide White Walls...Tech

Wise Old Village Idiot

Ah so,,,,ching-a-ling,,,U flung shit,,,number one! Sez the Chinerman.
If you say the 'white' layer is not round, ("leave a 1/4" black space between the white and the rim) how did you get the 'outer' edge so perfect in your picture?
That grinding process I was telling about at the Rod Run, a machine was hooked up to the tire grinding machine that turned the tire/wheel. So each design was the same on all four.
This wore out 36 grit, grinder you said you used, It's one of those little hand, air, body grinders, right?
Bugman
Posted 2004-02-23 4:44 PM (#1765 - in reply to #1753)

Elite Veteran

Yup, the grinder I use is one of those small air grinders. It uses a 4"-4 1/2" disk. Any larger in diameter, and it gets hard to do the inside edge without hitting the bead.

As far as the roundness of the white, it varys from tire to tire, brand to brand. the outer edge(as well as the inner) is where the strip of white rubber stops. On that tire, it's only a 2 1/2" strip. Sometimes the strip is very even, sometimes it's kinda wobbly. It doesn't make much difference how you grind it, where the white stops, the white stops. Most newer tires are pretty straight. Becaus ethe letters, or narrow WW are shaved with a machine at the factory, the WW is symetrical. But because the rest of it is usually covered, the factory has no need to make the whole white layer perfectally strait.

Here's a pic of an older JC Penny bias ply I did. It's kind of dirty and scuffed because it's been in my classroom for awhile. You can see the wobbles in it. It's about the worst one I've seen, and it's still pretty good. It started out as a narrow WW. A little more 80 grit sanding might help too, but it's good enough for what I use it for(display). In the first pic, it's a pertty good tire, and a lousy camera. But, it's still close enough to round that you'd probably never know it was home ground, not professionally shaved.

P.S. It's much easier if the tire is off the rim, and you should probably rebalance it.

Edited by Bugman 2004-02-23 4:48 PM

(tire3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tire3.jpg (10KB - 531 downloads)
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-03-01 10:41 AM (#2100 - in reply to #1736)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Jeff, others who interisted. I have 'shaved' close to 20 differnt (junk) tires experminting with differnt process, seeing which way is the best/easiest.
Regular, narrow white wall passenger car tires (sizes varrying form 195 13's to 235 15's) are very hard to save, either aired up on a wheel or off the wheel. The problem (s), is getting the 'inside' edge without 'nicking' the bead or taking too much off between the inner edge and the bead.
To eliminate that problem , I had to use a tool like a dremel or a 'buzzer' with a 1" dia or larger, slip on drum sanding tube, workes real good. Then switch over to the little hand held air body grider with 36 or 80 grit disc.
I found that there are less 'gouge' marks in the whie portion if you use a 80 grit (new) and cut the round edge into 'octigon' making several 'point's on the disc, plus, take the under 'stiffner' off, and use just two discs. Mor flex.
Jeff, your statement about using the 80 grit on a DA, 'polishes' the white VERY smooth. Looks like a 'real' WW at 2' or more.
However. uuuuuhhhhh. Here is the real bad problem with ALL of the regular passenger car tires that I did.
OK, most of the Passenger car underlying white was suprising uniform. I NEVER ran into one irregular underlying white edge, on the outer. Most of the inner white edge had one little 'bump.' Stand back 2' or more, like you said, you don't see it.
But the BAD problem was at the outer edge of the underlying white, when exposed, the tire was noticible weaker at that point. I wanted to measure the thicness before and after, but I don't have a dial type caliper that big. But, it is very noticible thickness differnce in 'feel!' The soloution, is to disect the tire then measure the diff.
Several tire places after seeing/feeling that outer edge (NOT knowing what my intentions are/were) all said that is NOT safe to drive on!
White letter tires are a differnt puppy. Sizes ranging form 50 series to 85 series, 15" to 17."
Some, you could actually 'see' the underlying white because of the 1/2 shade lighter or darker, black colored side wall.
ALL of the light truck (load range C, and a couple of D's) white letter tires, shaved off real easy with either the 36 or 80 grit air grinder. Didn't need the 'buzzer' or dremel. Out Line White Letters were easier to shave than the Raised White Letters.
There was no noticible 'feel' thickness differnce, before and after on any of white letter, light truck tires 'outer' underlying white edge.
This means, that a radial passenger car tire, too much of the sidewall has to come off to reveal the outer edge of the wide white, making them very unsafe.
Light truck radial white letter tires can be shaved safely and easier.
That being said, there is another problem for us 14" (Fwdlkrs) There are NO 225 75 14 LT (light truck) white letter tires.
"Hot Pants" can you search your archives at work, and see if you can come up with a white letter 75 series 14" light truck tire? Or will your search be like mine. None are being made in 14".
Well, that means, (to us lower income people) either do without, run a narrow white, or total black walls, or find a set of 'redneck' whites.
Daven Anderson
Posted 2004-03-01 11:15 PM (#2125 - in reply to #2100)
Subject: 15" LT wide whites

Extreme Veteran

I don't know of any 225 75 14 LT RWL's either, but really the original tire size for the typical
1957-61 FL car (7.50 × 14) would most closely translate as 205 80 14, so a 215 70 15 would be
the 'plus one upsize' for that and a 225 70 15 would still work pretty well. People think of the
original tires for 55-61 cars as being '75 series' aspect ratio, but really they were '80 series'...

Of course the only downside to 'plus-sizing' is that you can't use the original wheel covers

Also, Alumcan is right that the white band is much thicker on the LT RWL tires than on RWL car tires,
I see a few trucks that are almost shaved wide whites on the right side just from the curb contacts

PS: Jay Leno's '55 Buick Roadmaster (with the 572 GM crate engine) in this month's HOT ROD,
this car is using 'wide whites' made from RWL 17" high performance tires (pro job without a doubt,
but I wouldn't throw that Buick around too hard into a corner if I was him

Edited by Daven Anderson 2004-03-01 11:24 PM
Jessica Hendricks
Posted 2004-03-01 11:35 PM (#2129 - in reply to #1736)

Instead of shaving all the way to the edge of the white, why dont you just measure it and not shave to the edge. normally you can see if you look closely where the white starts/stops. You can mark a trace line easily with a grease crayon.

As for LT 14" tires, there is no such thing. There are no vehicles heavy enough to require anything more than the standard ply that would carry a heavy load range. BF Goodrich does make the Radial T/A (a tire of which im very fond of) and Michelin offer's the XC LT4. Both are excellent choices and would carry excellent sidewall support. You have to remember, the passenger rated truck tire is going to have a higher max load rating because it is a 4 ply and not a 2 ply standard like a car tire would be. My advise is to go with the white letter passenger rated truck tire for the 14" wheel.

White shoe polish does the trick too :P I remember seeing an Ad from the 60's advertising "paint your own whitewalls". And ya'll think IM being silly

Jessica
Bugman
Posted 2004-03-02 9:31 AM (#2137 - in reply to #2129)

Elite Veteran

I don't really like the white wall paint they used to sell. It tends to turn yellow, and peel off if not properly applied. It needs to be touched up every few weeks to stay looking nice.

What does work very well though is Kyrlon Fusion spray paint. It is specifically made for plastics. On new tires, simply sand or grind the raised letters off to leave a smooth sidewall, then mask the wheel and the outer edge and spray away. Needs to be resprayed about every 6 months.

-Jeff
Bugman
Posted 2004-03-03 10:40 AM (#2181 - in reply to #1736)

Elite Veteran

I just sawed my practice tire in haldf to measure the actual thickness of the rubber. The top layer of black that you are shaving away is just a tad more that 1/64" That's not much. I'll post a pic later if I can find a camera. The layer of white is 3/16", the inner corded part is 1/8".

Also, the outer layers of rubber are not structural. It's the cords inside that provide the strength for the tire. The professional tire shaving machines do the exact same thing we are doing here, it's just with a machine, not by hand.

-Jeff
Bugman
Posted 2004-03-03 7:54 PM (#2198 - in reply to #2181)

Elite Veteran

In this pic you can see a cross section of the tire shown above with 1/2 of it ground white. The top layer of black is very very thin, only a tad more than 1/64." It has a 2 ply sidewall and is an M+S(mud and snow), not an LT(light truck). That little bit of black is never going to be missed. However, you can see that the white is fairly thick. If you continue to grind it, it will get thin. If you stop as soon as you hit white, and avoid gouging the rubber, you'll be fine.

-Jeff

Edited by Bugman 2004-03-03 7:57 PM

(tirecut.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tirecut.jpg (8KB - 491 downloads)
Bugman
Posted 2005-09-20 3:15 AM (#40149 - in reply to #1736)

Elite Veteran

For anyone who doubted me make your own WWW tires technique, I had to make another set. Why did I need this second set you ask? Because I wore out the first set. Didn't have a single problem with them. Anyway, here's my latest home made pair. This pair both started out as narrow white walls. You might notice that the white wall is slightly thinner on one tire, thats because they are different model tires, and theres about 3/8" difference in the width of the white layer. $15 each for new used WWW tires is a pretty good deal in my book. On the car, you don't even notice the difference(you can only see one side of the car at a time anyway).

Edited by Bugman 2005-09-20 3:19 AM

(new tires.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments new tires.jpg (54KB - 954 downloads)
pistolgrip
Posted 2005-09-23 12:51 AM (#40392 - in reply to #1736)

Veteran

Here is another option. They used to use these back in the day........

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=48952
JT Newman
Posted 2005-09-23 3:21 AM (#40404 - in reply to #40392)

Regular

pistolgrip - 2005-09-23 7:51 AM

Here is another option

I put those to my -64 VW about 6 months ago and they are quite OK. If there is right amount of tyre grease between tyre and those white walls, you can't hear (so much) squeal. But if there is too much grease, then... "Look mommy, an UFO!"
Tuxedo
Posted 2005-09-23 8:42 AM (#40410 - in reply to #1736)

Elite Veteran

I bought a set of porta walls for my Belvedere. They don't fit very well on radial tires though. I'm thinking about using a little glue to get them to sit flat on the tire.
Mike M
Posted 2005-09-23 9:43 AM (#40416 - in reply to #1736)

Extreme Veteran

The first time I saw tire buffing was at a Ch**y dealership back in the 1980's.
I was there picking up a new company truck.
If you picked a new car and wanted white walls, they didn't change tires, they had them buffed or cut to expose the white, using a machine like Alumcan described to turn the wheel.
I had a tire shop make wide whites for my Christine car that way, back in the eighties also.
forwardlookparts
Posted 2005-09-23 4:14 PM (#40435 - in reply to #1736)

Expert

I had a set of porta-walls a while back. They were a COMPLETE disaster and I'd NEVER recommend them.

I put them on radials and they required inner tubes. They were a real bitch to mount back on the rims. One of my d@mn tubes had a slow leak and the porta-walls would never lie down flat against the sides of the tires. I put up with them for one summer and said screw it.

Maybe this grinding the sidewalls is the ticket. I have some 80 grit discs for my DA, think those will suffice?

Edited by forwardlookparts 2005-09-23 4:15 PM
62chrysler
Posted 2005-09-23 8:43 PM (#40452 - in reply to #1736)

Account Suspended (Steve Hobby Alias)

When The Honorable Can Man, Spanky, Mike, Doug, Fred and I were young whipper snappers. . . .  Ahem!  Many moons ago, there was a paint you could get to paint white walls on your car.  Oh it was good for about 5000 miles and you had to do it again. . .  But then again dem dare tires only went 20,000 anyway!

I remember a 58 Dodge Wagon I had with no floor boards in the late 60's. I painted wide whites on it.  4 different sized "Diehard Tars" on it.  Kinda hid the fact that they were all different.  They didn't put the layer of white in the tire then like they do now as a standard.  I only painted them once . . . Used Tars didn't go far.

So much for West Vorginny talk  Whoohah!  I just can't do it right.

Bugman
Posted 2005-09-24 6:32 PM (#40492 - in reply to #1736)

Elite Veteran

Port-o-walls are dangerous. They have a tendancy to fly apart at speed. I'ce seen more than one set explode. But, more importantly, Radial tire sidewalls bulge and flex alot more than bias ply sidewalls, and the port-o-walls don't flex as much, so it ends up wearing a groove in the tire. I've also seen sidewalls blow out from Port-o-wall abrasion. Bad news if you ask me.

Painting whitewalls is also a very viable option. Krylon makes a spray paint called "Fusion" that is made to bond to rubber and plastic. You can sand any lettering off your tire so the sidewall is smooth, clean it really well, mask it off and spray it with the Fusion. It tends to crack if you put to much on, and you'll need to touch it up every few months. From 10 feet, you can't tell it's painted. Do NOT use it on a tire that has had any type of tire dressing on it, because of the leftover residue it won't stick worth a darn.

Forwardlook Parts, 80 grit on your DA should work fine, it'll just take a bit longer than a grinder will, but you'll have more control over how much material you remove so theres less risk of gouging the tire.

Edited by Bugman 2005-09-24 6:36 PM
klattu
Posted 2006-06-29 10:39 PM (#59079 - in reply to #1736)
Subject: Re: Make your own Wide White Walls...Tech

New User

Jack up rear of car...
Mount wheel to make WWW on a rear side...
Crank up car and put in reverse...slowest RPM...
Grind away as wheel spins...
Works great!
klattu
Posted 2006-06-29 10:41 PM (#59080 - in reply to #1736)

New User

Jack up rear of car...
Mount wheel to make WWW on a rear side...
Crank up car and put in reverse...slowest RPM...
Grind away as wheel spins...
Works great!
spikemike
Posted 2006-06-30 8:13 AM (#59112 - in reply to #59080)

Veteran

If you do a search on the internet for "white wall tire paint" you'll find a Swedish (I think) company that sells white vulcanized paint for Vespa scooter tires for about $35 US a can. It should work on car tires as well.
Bugman
Posted 2006-06-30 7:39 PM (#59146 - in reply to #1736)

Elite Veteran

ALL whitewall paints will chip, flake, or yellow eventually, it's just a matter of how long it takes.
72sst
Posted 2006-07-04 6:16 PM (#59327 - in reply to #59146)

Extreme Veteran

I will simply round house kick the tire into a whitewall!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)