The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My DeSoto's progress in photos:
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

Windsor59
Posted 2014-05-06 4:19 PM (#439577 - in reply to #439573)
Subject: Re: My DeSoto's progress in photos:

Expert

Super nice renovaiting at your Desoto
Looks so Good
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FIN ME
Posted 2014-05-09 8:46 AM (#440036 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Thanks, Windsor59!

Here are even more photos of my car's engine compartment. I took them yesterday.

I realise that the photos are getting a bit repetitive, but the engine compartment is changing a little bit every day, and getting closer to completion! Yay!

Still a bit of painting and rubber bits needed for the engine compartment. The yellow tape is coming out, along with a few other temporary bits and pieces.

Wiring is next, then paint!

Hopefully the photos might be of use to anyone considering similar changes to their car.

The rebuilt master cylinder is in place. The power brake bellows will pull up and back a tad more, once they are fully secured in place, so there is more room above the master cylinder than it may seem by the photos.

Really nice work by the mechanic/fabricator with the fitment of the AC and hoses IMHO. That "Z"-shaped pipe-bending to the left of the front of the rad/AC condenser is nice. I think he has done a great job, and he has even stood up well with my never-ending fussiness, even if his left eye has started to twitch. Think I will kidnap him. I do take pie and doughnuts to the shop occasionally, just to keep his sugar levels up. I think he will be taking a long vacation after this.

Edited by FIN ME 2014-05-09 8:56 AM

(MAY8.ENGINE8.jpg)

(MAY8.ENGINE7.jpg)

(MAY8.ENGINE5.jpg)

(MAY8.ENGINE4.jpg)

(MAY8.ENGINE3.jpg)

(MAY8.MASTER.CYLINDER.jpg)

(MAY8.ENGINE2.jpg)

(MAY8.ENGINE.jpg)

(MAY8.ENGINE6.jpg)

(IMG_0711.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MAY8.ENGINE8.jpg (218KB - 307 downloads)
Attachments MAY8.ENGINE7.jpg (243KB - 318 downloads)
Attachments MAY8.ENGINE5.jpg (227KB - 296 downloads)
Attachments MAY8.ENGINE4.jpg (224KB - 308 downloads)
Attachments MAY8.ENGINE3.jpg (238KB - 304 downloads)
Attachments MAY8.MASTER.CYLINDER.jpg (190KB - 308 downloads)
Attachments MAY8.ENGINE2.jpg (212KB - 326 downloads)
Attachments MAY8.ENGINE.jpg (224KB - 335 downloads)
Attachments MAY8.ENGINE6.jpg (264KB - 281 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0711.JPG (199KB - 304 downloads)
FIN ME
Posted 2014-05-09 8:59 AM (#440038 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

BTW, don't know if anyone has noticed, but I have a four-belt pulley coming off of the front of the engine, where a two-belt pulley would do. Therefore, there are two empty, unused grooves on this pulley.

It works fine, but if anyone knows where I can get a two-belt pulley, I'd be grateful.

1956DeS
Posted 2014-05-09 2:04 PM (#440079 - in reply to #435816)

Elite Veteran

Great looking car! Likes "NICE", lol. That guy in Williams CA would be a good place to look for a pully. Big M. I am a big fan of poly engines.

Where is the brake light switch? I noticed that dual m/c. Nice touch.

Edited by 1956DeS 2014-05-09 2:05 PM
baker53
Posted 2014-05-09 6:14 PM (#440088 - in reply to #435816)

Veteran

Excellent Rosy.... I need to get more info on your A/C compressor mounting system. I think I will be changing to a Sanden compressor.
The Adventurer
Posted 2014-05-09 8:58 PM (#440113 - in reply to #435816)
Subject: RE: My DeSoto's progress in photos:

Elite Veteran,, James Passed away March 2021, He will be Missed

Your car is looking very nice rosy .
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2014-05-10 12:22 PM (#440165 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

The more photos the merrier
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2014-05-10 7:28 PM (#440214 - in reply to #436365)

FIN ME - 2014-04-17 6:05 AM

It took FOREVER for me to decide what colour to paint the car. I must have changed my mind twelve times! I love black cars, but I got worn out trying to keep that black paint looking its best.

So I'll paint the roof and sweep black, as a nod to the car's original black paint, and the body will be painted using a 1957-only, Firesweep-only (as far as DeSotos go) colour called "Mist Green". (It might have been used on Dodges - no one seems to really know for sure.)

I have never seen a Desoto painted using "Mist Green" before, either on the body, or on the roof and sweep. I've seen some photos of DeSotos that were painted in a colour that was close, but no cigar...usually "Willow Green", a '58 colour. Documentation that I've found seems to indicate that "Mist Green" was used for '57 Firesweeps that were painted in one, solid colour, and without the accent colours on the roof and sweep. But I am now convinced, as are many "older" car fellas, that you could order a 1957 Mopar in any darn colour combo that you wished to, using any of the colours available that year for that model. Could be wrong, but what the heck.

Anyway, "Mist Green" seems to be one rare colour for '57 'Sweeps as far as I can tell after three years of trying to find one painted that colour. I have found none. I asked Chrysler if they had any info regarding paint colours statistics, but they do not for '57 Firesweeps.

I have a vintage, 1957 DeSoto Dealer's Fabric/Vinyl/Paint sample book that has huge paint chips, and my painter matched the paint very well indeed to the sample. I'm really liking the colour, esp. with the black accents. It looks a little less "there" in sunlight, which calms the green down a tad.

Glad other folk's are liking it too - I respect youz-guyz' opinions!

==========================================

As a committed fan of the seafoam greens with my Plaza, I completely understand the attraction.
I like the period-unique pastels, and in a contemporary sense, am drawn to the unusual. Few car
guys like the light green shades, preferring to go for macho red or other colors LONG before they'd
consider "Buzzard Puke" Green. Maybe it's the A.D.D. ? .... but seeing the same cars or colors gets
real old, real fast for me.

I am interested to hear your decision making process that landed you at Mist Green, as opposed to
the many other also good color options they had.

As a kid, we moved to a farm about 5 miles out of Kirkland in 1969. In a draw not far from the house,
a neighbor had bushed an early 50's Chevy sedan over the edge in a fit of frustration (he told us so) when
it would not run. It was that similar light yellow-green. I had previously thought seafoam type greens
were about the ugliest color one could ever put on a car, and this one really set that thinking in stone for
me.

But fast forward through the 70's, and the quaint-i-tude and character of finned cars and related colors
and such began to sink in, and it wasn't long before that green started to look appealing, if only because
it was period-unique and was becoming more and more rarely seen.

It must have been about 1980 that I spotted the soft green Plaza that really kicked off my affection for
this color. Ray's Auto Wrecking was opened in 1945 and I doubt he ever crushed much out until the 80's,
stacking cars sometimes five deep in giant blocks of 20 x 40 or more cars.

I wasn't really interested in Mopars at the time, and was on the bottom of a stack, pulling a very nice aqua
cloth interior out of a 60 Invicta, when I took a break from the work to take a sip off my beer, and took a
deeper notice of a 58 Plymouth sedan in that charming puke green. For some reason, this one really clicked
for me. The short wheelbase and high, bubble-shaped roof. It was far from sexy, but had a cuteness to it
that was only accentuated more by the dog dish hubcaps and blackwalls against that soft green paint. I was
hooked.

Some cars wear it better than others, but it is such a pleasantly refreshing different color to the usual colors
we see too often.

BTW - back when I was at the helm of the NDC chapter in the NW, a man contacted me, interested in joining
our club. He had just purchased a nice, original 58 Firesweep 4HT in this soft yellow-green color with a black
top and sweep. It was a very striking car.

Sadly, but predictably, I later learned he had enthusiastically painted the car blue and white to "git rid of that
hideous green".

Your car will be quite attractive in this color and will really stand out from all the others.
earleebob
Posted 2014-05-11 2:34 AM (#440257 - in reply to #435816)

Elite Veteran

It will be like buying and driving a new car with all the familiarity of a pair of old comfortable shoes!
Please keep the photos coming Rosy.
FIN ME
Posted 2014-05-11 11:53 AM (#440291 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Thanks, guys and gals, for the compliments and encouragement! I will be sure to give my car a big hug from y'all next time I am at the shop. Yep, I hug my car...whaddyagointodo? I strongly suspect that I am not the only car-hugger here at this site...you know who you are! Anyway, you are all very nice to post such sweet comments.

1956DeS - there is a mechanical switch attached to the brake pedal itself. Nothing too fancy.
I have heard more than one 1957 Desoto owner complain that they didn't realise that their brake lights were not lighting up when the brake pedal was depressed until someone told them. So I guess that the original set up wasn't that reliable once it became old? I really wouldn't know for sure, because my car had this mechanical switch installed before I bought the car, but I am leaving it in place. (It doesn't seem to bother the show judges either, if showing your car is something that you do.)

Doctor DeSoto - regarding the decision-making process that brought me to choosing the "Mist Green" body colour,
Hooo-Boy! What an ORDEAL. Of all of the decisions that I had to make during the resto of my car, choosing the paint colours was by far the most difficult. It was a loooooong process, as you can see below...and likely rather boring to read about...but here ya go!

I first decided to limit myself to only the paint colours originally available to the '57 Firesweep, as I hoped to keep the car as "correct/original" in as many ways as I possibly could, for the make and model year of my car, despite the plans that I had for the installation of a few modern "improvements". (To be honest, I prefer the paint colour choices that were available to the '58's, esp. that "lavender" colour.) I really do love the look of black cars, but I had decided long ago that my car's black paint was going to be way too much work for me to keep looking as good as I would want it to be as the years went by. So a colour change was therefore going to have to be part of my car's future.

I mentioned that I am lucky enough to own a vintage, '57 DeSoto dealer's paint/fabric book that has very large paint chips which all seem to be rather unchanged by the ravages of time. So my next step was to go through all of the paint chips for the Firesweep, comparing and contrasting, trying to see what colours looked best with others, over and over and over again. Yikes, there were so many colour combinations available to a two-toned car! I had decided that whatever colours I chose, that I was determined to make myself happy, and to pick what I liked best over all.

During the two NDC conventions that I had attended, I noticed that the '57 and '58 DeSotos that had roof/sweep colours that were darker than the body of the car, looked more anchored to the ground, and even longer and lower than those with the lighter roof/sweep colours - at least they appeared that way to me (but that might just be me ). I liked that look, so I decided to paint the roof/sweep darker than the body for those reasons. I liked the way that black made all of the other colours pop, so I decided that the roof/sweep would therefore be black, plus I liked the idea of keeping some part of the car black as a way to sort of honour the car's original body colour...kind of. I think I can deal with keeping a black roof clean, instead of a whole, black car. I knew that adding AC to the car would help to offset any rise in cabin temperatures that a black roof can sometimes cause (along with a lot of roof insulation. ).

During the endless shuffling of the paint chips, I kept coming back to the "Mist Green" colour as being my favourite colour, especially when paired with black. I just really liked the impactful combo, and the way those two colours played off of each other. Besides, green is my favourite colour, especially lighter shades of green and yellow-green.

I decided to not paint the body of the car white, because I thought that I might be back where I started, constantly struggling to keep the car looking clean, here in the land of red mud, dust, and endlessly falling pollen...but maybe not. I toyed with the idea of painting the body of the car in either a light or dark gray, which would have been very tasteful IMHO, but I thought that I might struggle trying to keep those colours looking their best as well.

I am not really a red/pink/coral car kind of gal. I really do enjoy other folks' cars that are painted in those beautiful shades, but they just are not "me". Yellow and black would look striking too. I know of a gorgeous yellow and black '58, but again, yellow is just not "me". "Light Aqua" and black looks great too, but I live DEEP in the land of the Bel Air, and there is an aqua '57 Chevy around every corner, here in our part of the country. So I wanted a paint colour that would be unmistakably '57 Mopar.

So, I ended up choosing my favourite '57 Firesweep colour, "Mist Green". I just like the colour, esp. when paired with black. I admit that it is one minty, slap-happy colour, as I have called it. But to me, it is just SO 1950's, so it suits the era of my car...an over the top colour for an over the top car. There will be nothing subtle about my car's paint scheme once it is done, but I don't suppose that anyone would ever label any '57 Mopar as being "subtle".

Hopefully anyone driving a FL Mopar enjoys driving something different, as do I, so why not have a really different paint colour? It is a bonus to me that this "Mist Green" colour is also (apparently) unique among '57 Firesweeps. I didn't choose to paint my car using the colour for that reason, but I admit that I like the idea of having my car looking different from others of its kind. So much so, that I think that I might have to keep my old DeSoto dealer's paint/fabric book handy in the trunk for anyone who doubts that it is an original, '57 Firesweep paint colour, but what the heck? The doubters don't really bother me, but I don't want folks to think that I was careless in choosing my car's paint colours. I would rather be viewed as someone who wants to know as much as they can about their make and model of vintage car...a process that hopefully never ends.

I gotta say that the guys at the shop really seemed to hate the idea of painting my black car "Mist Green" when I first showed them the vintage paint chip last year. But once they saw the colour on the various parts of the car that are painted, along with the already-painted black roof, they all really loved it. I think they had difficulty imagining how the car would look when it was done, but now they are getting the idea, and are now fans of the colour combo. Visitors to the shop seem to love it too.

So that's the scoop, Doc. A bit "War and Peace" in its evolution, but...
Thanks for asking!

Edited by FIN ME 2014-05-11 12:07 PM

(PAINTBOOK53.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PAINTBOOK53.jpg (71KB - 324 downloads)
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2014-05-11 1:32 PM (#440301 - in reply to #440291)

Your painters got an education in "period sophistication". Something they thought would look
terrible (as most people would) actually works in harmony with the also period-unique design
and feel to create an even stronger "period" feel for the larger package.

I believe most people are only tuned in to "impact" colors such as black and red and gold and
unable to grasp the more subtle sophistication of period elements in design to create a different
level of "impact". It is my argument against red cars. Is red a great color ? Of course it is. But
when you see it ALL THE TIME, it loses its impact to being common or ordinary. Whereas a less
"sexy" color like the Mist Green actually becomes more "sexy" BECAUSE it is less sexy, if that makes
any sense. You just never see it, and it works so well with the body styling, that it comes out as being
far more "impactful" than the commonly seen red. At least, to those who have any developed sense
of design.

I envy your advanced state of restoration and deliciously uncrusty sheetmetal. I will be back under
my car today welding in new metal to the wheel tub.

(tub r patch fitting.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tub r patch fitting.jpg (59KB - 307 downloads)
FIN ME
Posted 2014-07-28 5:04 PM (#450774 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

I know it's been a while, but a new job and vaca' have been keeping me occupied.

More pic's - there's been even more progress on my car since these photos were taken, but hopefully it's enough to get the idea...

Gotta flip that battery around - new cables waiting for installation too. A bit more fuss and bother and the engine will soon be all done. Hood going back on this week. Trunk all done.

Gotta tuck some hoses down, out of sight.

The dash pad is from Scandinavia. Fit really well! The edges around the vents have been heated and molded downward to take the shape of the inside edges of the vents. That didn't really have to be done, but still a really nice touch, methinks.

AC is a new Vintage Air, retro-look, under-dash unit. Nifty...and of course "cool".

It won't be long before I can get my old car back onto the roads! Yay!

BTW - anybody got a gas filler door spring they don't need?

Edited by FIN ME 2014-07-28 5:11 PM

(julya.jpg)

(julyb.jpg)

(julyd.jpg)

(julye.jpg)

(julyf.jpg)

(julyg.jpg)

(julyh.jpg)

(julyi.jpg)

(julyj.jpg)

(julyk.jpg)

(julyl.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments julya.jpg (211KB - 313 downloads)
Attachments julyb.jpg (207KB - 306 downloads)
Attachments julyd.jpg (235KB - 301 downloads)
Attachments julye.jpg (205KB - 327 downloads)
Attachments julyf.jpg (235KB - 311 downloads)
Attachments julyg.jpg (127KB - 301 downloads)
Attachments julyh.jpg (162KB - 315 downloads)
Attachments julyi.jpg (157KB - 290 downloads)
Attachments julyj.jpg (166KB - 296 downloads)
Attachments julyk.jpg (159KB - 285 downloads)
Attachments julyl.jpg (190KB - 314 downloads)
earleebob
Posted 2014-07-28 5:35 PM (#450778 - in reply to #435816)

Elite Veteran

G'day Rosy
that engine bay is as full as a state school hat rack!
it wont be long now
this car is a must see when I get to the States
great work!!!!!!!!
1960fury
Posted 2014-07-28 5:42 PM (#450781 - in reply to #450774)

Expert 5K+

oh wow thats a killer paint combination! i'd have painted it in the same colors!
ttotired
Posted 2014-07-28 7:22 PM (#450795 - in reply to #435816)

Expert 5K+

Looks great Rosy

If they havnt got them yet, there are felt washers you can get that are supposed to stop your battery treminals corroding (hogwash, they still do), but, they will cover over the space around the battery posts for your t/topper cover

57desoto
Posted 2014-07-28 8:05 PM (#450803 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Rosy, I think I already have an "August" calendar car for my website, but may I use yours for the November calendar? I think the picture of the car's backside is incredible!
baker53
Posted 2014-07-28 8:24 PM (#450805 - in reply to #435816)

Veteran

Beautiful Rosy. You have really done a great job on your car.
tnlowrider
Posted 2014-07-28 9:18 PM (#450819 - in reply to #435816)

Extreme Veteran

Rosy that looks incredible!
ronbo97
Posted 2014-07-28 10:28 PM (#450824 - in reply to #450819)

Expert

Looks great ! Have you started her up yet ?

Ron

FIN ME
Posted 2014-07-28 11:45 PM (#450834 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Thank you for all of the nice comments, guys! The shop crew has been working really hard, and they have put up with me and my never ending requests for this, that, and the other thing.

The final details are being worked out, and while it's exciting to be closing in on a completion date, those final details can drive a person totally mad. In fact, I am pretty sure that the guy who is currently installing the trim is quietly planning on converting his paint booth into a padded cell for the time when I finally drive him right around the bend.

Thank you for the tip about the felt washers, ttotired!

You can use any photos you wish, Ed!

Have not started the car yet, Ron. Tense times ahead! Augh, let's hope that all of those new systems can get along with each other.

Edited by FIN ME 2014-07-28 11:54 PM
imopar380
Posted 2014-07-29 12:25 AM (#450836 - in reply to #450834)

Expert 5K+

Rosy, the car is looking great! You should put up some pics of those nifty seat belts you got. ;-)
lownslow
Posted 2014-07-29 8:01 AM (#450873 - in reply to #435816)

Extreme Veteran

Can't wait to see it all done. The color combo is amazing!
60 Imp
Posted 2014-07-29 8:57 AM (#450880 - in reply to #435816)

Wow, what a car, and you did it your way! I will be studying the engine bay photos for hints on installing air in my own FL car.

I must admit, I don't hug my car, cant get my arms around it. I pretty much find an excuse to go into the shed to make sure I glance at it every morning before I go to work!

Love your work.

Steve.
FIN ME
Posted 2014-08-02 10:12 AM (#451383 - in reply to #450836)

Expert

imopar380 - 2014-07-29 12:25 AM

Rosy, the car is looking great! You should put up some pics of those nifty seat belts you got. ;-)

Here is one of them, Flookerang and all.

Thanks for your help, Ian!

(flookerangbelt.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments flookerangbelt.png (484KB - 295 downloads)
60 dart
Posted 2014-08-03 12:12 AM (#451432 - in reply to #435816)

Expert 5K+

she's a real sweetheart Rosy ---------------------------------------------later
oldwood
Posted 2014-08-03 8:02 AM (#451449 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

I know my stress level goes up the closer I get to heavy traffic and my cars are no beauty queens. I'm sure your stress level will also have highs and lows. I really like the personal touches that you've made. I think the last 2 cars that I've bought should quench my thirst for a while. Talking pastel colors around a group of men says it all, HA!!! The '59 Dodge that I just bought has 1 of those Merry pastel colors.lol Rosy, ya did good!!!
FIN ME
Posted 2014-08-16 11:53 AM (#453161 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Trim! I need more trim! LOL

The new radial tires are waiting to be installed.
Thank you for the comments, guys!

Latest photo:

Edited by FIN ME 2014-08-16 11:55 AM

(AUG2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AUG2014.jpg (88KB - 280 downloads)
The Chrysler Kid
Posted 2014-08-16 5:36 PM (#453192 - in reply to #453161)

Expert

!!!!!!!! She is gorgeous! I hope I have the chance to gawk at this car in person one day!
FIN ME
Posted 2014-08-17 8:31 AM (#453254 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Thanks, Randy!

catman
Posted 2014-08-17 9:41 AM (#453257 - in reply to #451383)

Elite Veteran

Rosy, great car and super restoration. Where did you get those seat belts???

firedome
Posted 2014-08-18 12:44 PM (#453419 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Just beautiful... one of the nicest '57s I've ever seen.
big m
Posted 2014-08-18 3:42 PM (#453431 - in reply to #435816)

Expert 5K+

Rosy-
Your Desoto is beautiful!! All the hard work shows!

---John
ToMopar
Posted 2014-08-18 4:53 PM (#453447 - in reply to #435816)

Elite Veteran

Rosy, - I'm a little jealous that you're going to be ready soon, great work !
Lancer Mike
Posted 2014-08-18 4:59 PM (#453448 - in reply to #453431)

Purrrrfect! Way to go, Rosie! Once you change your avatar, we know it will be done!
It is like having a new car - all over again.
FIN ME
Posted 2014-08-18 5:03 PM (#453450 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

Rodger and Big M, you guys have helped me with car parts along the way, and I thank you both!

I'm also very grateful to everyone on this site who has helped me by very generously sharing their knowledge/advice/experience!

catman - I bought reproduction "vintage" style seatbelts and found a very gifted engraver who was able to engrave the Flookerang onto the seatbelt latches. Not easy to do as the chrome on these seatbelts is pretty thin and cheaply done. But they did turn out pretty darn nice, I must say. A few folks on this site have the original versions of these seatbelts which were apparently made in Canada. I am a self-admitted bling junkie and I just HAD to have these Flookerang seatbelts.

FIN ME
Posted 2014-08-18 5:06 PM (#453453 - in reply to #453448)

Expert

Lancer Mike - 2014-08-18 4:59 PM
Once you change your avatar, we know it will be done!

Hahaha! You read my mind...what there is left of it.

The "Resto-Fever" has sure taken its toll.

Edited by FIN ME 2014-08-18 5:08 PM
LAGTONE420
Posted 2014-09-11 7:28 PM (#456020 - in reply to #435816)

Who did your steering wheel ? i need mine to be done but my car is a 59 desoto
fenix
Posted 2014-09-11 8:31 PM (#456028 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

I have asked this before and never got an answer, do you need a CDL to drive a bemoth like that on the hiway?
FIN_NV
Posted 2014-09-11 8:55 PM (#456032 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Rosy,
She's Beautiful!
That is The Perfect Color for Your Fins.
Enjoy The Ride!
Steve
FIN ME
Posted 2014-09-13 10:41 AM (#456156 - in reply to #456020)

Expert

LAGTONE420 - 2014-09-11 7:28 PM

Who did your steering wheel ? i need mine to be done but my car is a 59 desoto

D&D Automobilia did a great job! Nice guy too! I have yet to install the new, wider chrome horn ring that fits this "deluxe" style of steering wheel for the '57 DeSotos.

http://danddautomobilia.com/Welcome.html

D&D Automobilia
2284 Reepsville Road
Lincolnton • NC 28092
(704) 748-3447
bob@danddautomobilia.com

FIN ME
Posted 2014-09-13 10:42 AM (#456157 - in reply to #456032)

Expert

FIN_NV - 2014-09-11 8:55 PM

Rosy,
She's Beautiful!
That is The Perfect Color for Your Fins.
Enjoy The Ride!
Steve

Thanks, Steve! Hopefully we'll get a chance to park our great finned cars side by side at a car show some day!

FIN ME
Posted 2014-09-13 10:56 AM (#456159 - in reply to #456028)

Expert

fenix - 2014-09-11 8:31 PM

I have asked this before and never got an answer, do you need a CDL to drive a bemoth like that on the hiway?

Well...if by CDL, you mean "Clenched Derriere Langour", then yes!

FIN ME
Posted 2014-10-11 10:31 AM (#458828 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Sorry, no new pic's to share - just a quickie update for anyone who may be curious and/or interested.

I've decided to leave my car in the warm and toasty shop until the spring of 2015 - that will give my shop crew a rest, but mainly I have run into a delay related to the door panels, so I may as well wait until they are ready to be installed before trying to get the car back onto the road. SMS is working on the door panels as I type...I hope. If they prove to be incapable, my upholsterer is more than up to the task, now that we have collected enough of the appropriate vinyl.

My new job has kept me busy too; too busy for me to find the time to become impatient to get out and drive my old car. So I will be content to leave the car where it is over the winter where it will be safe and sound, and I will have some extra time to fiddle around with some of the smaller tasks that still need to be completed.

The only larger tasks that need to be done are the final installation of the interior by my awesome master upholsterer, and the installation of the side window frames and windows, followed by a quick undercarriage once-over, and the installation of the new tires.

So I guess that I will have to be content with the occasional visit to the shop for a quick "visitation" and a "fin hug" or two.

Meanwhile, I will live vicariously through the posts of my fellow FL enthusiasts!

Needless to say, I am really looking forward to spring of 2015!

firedome
Posted 2014-10-11 4:49 PM (#458853 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

It's going to be worth the wait! ... I know all about that "living vicariously" thing, been doing it for years while waiting for that winning PowerBall ticket!
My event horizon is out to about 2022 at this point... if I'm still around!
FIN ME
Posted 2014-12-07 10:04 AM (#463870 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Nothing really exciting to report lately...but I did FINALLY find the time to finish restoring my car's cracked headliner bows.

Three of the four bows each had several, semi-circular pieces missing; probably from someone carelessly prying them off when they were cold and brittle.

I'm sure a lot of you have already done this kind of repair work - I filled the areas of missing plastic with 2-part epoxy, let it cure really well, and then sanded them back into shape.

The difficult part was making sure that the tiny channels on the back of the bows were free of extra epoxy once I was all finished...thank goodness for the Dremel.

A quick scuff, priming, and coat or two of nice shiny white paint, and they should be all ready to go! Yay!

Baby steps...

Edited by FIN ME 2014-12-07 10:07 AM

(HEADLINER.BOWS.BEFORE.jpg)

(HEADLINER.BOWS.AFTER.jpg)

(HEADLINER.BOWS.AFTER.2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HEADLINER.BOWS.BEFORE.jpg (125KB - 276 downloads)
Attachments HEADLINER.BOWS.AFTER.jpg (151KB - 284 downloads)
Attachments HEADLINER.BOWS.AFTER.2.jpg (175KB - 284 downloads)
oldwood
Posted 2014-12-07 10:23 AM (#463873 - in reply to #453161)

Expert

FIN ME - 2014-08-16 11:53 AM

Trim! I need more trim! LOL

The new radial tires are waiting to be installed.
Thank you for the comments, guys!

Latest photo:
Trim? Trim? Don't women realize men need MO Trim!!! OH I'm sorry, your talking about the car. Lookin Goooood.

Edited by oldwood 2014-12-07 10:23 AM
58 DESOTOS RULE
Posted 2014-12-07 12:51 PM (#463888 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Awesome 1957 De Soto and I really like the color combination. I'm curious to know one thing though and that is did you keep the generator in your charging system or did you replace it with one of those alternators that are built inside generator cases to keep a period correct look about the engine bay? The photographs aren't clear on this point. For my part, I see nothing wrong in using an alternator as it is superior to the generator, especially if one uses one's FL car as a daily driver. 

(Detail of 58 De Soto engine Bay.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Detail of 58 De Soto engine Bay.jpg (238KB - 292 downloads)
FIN ME
Posted 2014-12-07 1:34 PM (#463893 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Thanks, guys, for the nice words.

58 DeSotos Rule - the original generator was replaced by a modern alternator that had a period-correct-ish case. For the life of me, I cannot recall if this case had to be painted black before it was installed or if it came that way? I think it already was black, come to think of it.

We saved the old, metal label from the original alternator and glued it onto the new alternator, just to make things look even more convincing...hopefully.

hemidave
Posted 2014-12-07 2:48 PM (#463901 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Beautiful job Rosy, I really like the color combo. You are a great inspiration to all on this site!
b5rt
Posted 2014-12-07 4:56 PM (#463905 - in reply to #435816)

Expert

Great job Rosy! Nice to see you invest and take the car to another level. Hopefully I'll see it in person at an NDC event in a few years.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)