The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Update: Keepin' the Ol' Chin Up!
Moderators: Bart_59_Dodge

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Announcements -> Family in FinsMessage format

jsrail
Posted 2014-08-30 3:51 AM (#454706)
Subject: Update: Keepin' the Ol' Chin Up!

Expert

Hi Everyone!  I know its been a long while since I have been on the noards here.  It has been a rough couple years for our family, money and health matters, like most families it seems these days.

Back in May, I strated seeing a "Cognitive Nuerologist", a Brain Doc if you will.  I have been steadily losing my short-term memory the last couple years along with other issues such as increased migraines, balance issues, so on and so forth.  Well after a number of tests, the results showed problems in the rear section of the brain. Resulting diagnosis:

1. Traumatic Brain Injury  (most likely due to numerous auto accidents, green-breaking horses, and physical abuse as a child including eletric cattle prod)

2. Alzheimers (not much to say here, everyone knows this one)

3. Complex Partial Seizure Disorder  (results in the brain putting you in & out, for a few seconds, an alternate reality)

Anyway, I probably will be on and off the forums here.  Some days are good, some not so good.  but I have a great family and with medicine nowadays, we are hopeful the worst symptoms will be held off for a few years at least.  At 52 years old, its not been easy to accept, but I am okay with it now.  Not sure how long it will take to get my son's Dodge done, but I'll continue to plug away at it, when the heat goes away! LOL

Thanks all..........Jay

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2014-08-30 7:39 PM (#454749 - in reply to #454706)
Subject: RE: Update: Keepin' the Ol' Chin Up!

Getting old ain't for sissies, and some of us hit it harder than others. Sorry to hear you're having more trouble.
I enjoyed your visit a few years back and think of you from time to time. Hope you get some relief.
d500neil
Posted 2014-08-31 3:18 AM (#454794 - in reply to #454749)
Subject: Re: Update: Keepin' the Ol' Chin Up!

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Take care, Jay..nobody gets out of this venue alive.

Think we still can/have-to work on our cars in the NEXT Clam Bake?

MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2014-08-31 3:51 AM (#454797 - in reply to #454794)

Expert 5K+

Jay, I posted a little note to you on Walts thread. before I saw this. Several of us old geezers have a lot we want to do before the final day. Including me. Yup, keep up the struggle!..................MO
fenix
Posted 2014-08-31 10:04 AM (#454812 - in reply to #454797)

Expert

Hang in there Jay, like ya said, ya have good family, medical advances pop up everyday it seems, at least now You know what the problem is and thank God it's not something short term terminal, or that requires some risky surgury. I'm not a doctor and don't have any experience with this type of medical problem, but seems that setting some realistic goals, such as finishing the car, would do wonders for Your morale.
Steppinout
Posted 2014-08-31 9:46 PM (#454859 - in reply to #454706)

Elite Veteran

I have always enjoyed your posts, comments and online friendship. I can only send you my prayers for strength.
Glad to see you back online and I hope the progression is slow and the healing, if possible, swift.
Look into some alternative meds like shark oil. It can be quite helpful with memory issues.
John
big m
Posted 2014-09-01 12:06 PM (#454902 - in reply to #454706)

Expert 5K+

Jay-

It's good to hear you are keeping positive and being strong about this. I miss your posting on the board here, and was wondering how you've been.

---John
jsrail
Posted 2014-09-12 2:51 AM (#456046 - in reply to #454902)

Expert

Thanks for all the uplifting thoughts guys!  I really apperciate them.  When the doc first said the "Alzheimer's" word to me, my demeanor dropped off a cliff.  I have watched 2 guys go through this disease from pre-diagnosis through death, so I know its natural progression though when its caused by a brain injury, there is no way to know how slow or fast the progression will take.  There is a some promising traetment involving an IV drip with pills that is in clinical trils right now, but the tyrial is for old-age Alzheimer's, so my doc couldn't get me into the study 'cause technically, mine was caused by brain injuries, not old age.  Who knows how long it will take for this treatment (if it proves out good) will take to go through the approval process, it could take years.  But as soon as we can get the migraines and the micro-seizures under control, I will go on standard Alzheimer drugs, such as Aricept, etc.  That's about all they can do nowadays. Usually, the earlier they can start treatment, the longer they can push off the bad symptoms, though there is little they know about Post Traumatic Alzheimer's vs. Old Age Alzheimer's (which is being studied regularly).  When I first heard, I pretty much broke down, all I could think about was I going to be here, with my faculties intact, for my son's high school graduation, college graduation, marriage, etc.!  I mean, I know what is coming down the road for me and its not good, but not knowing "when" its coming is very heart-wrenching.  There is no cure, but everyday I hope that they come up with something that fights off the bad stuff before I'm not in the early stages anymore (I am stage 3 of 7).  I don't want my wife and especially my young son (who is 11 years old now) see me begin to forget them and start losing my mind.  That scares me more than anything!

Anyway, do you guys still do the Christmas Gift Exchange?  I missed the last few years, but if it is still going on, could someone please PM or email me when it starts so I don't miss out participating?

Also. I think I'll post something in the locale section and maybe I can find someone who can help me do a few things on the Dodge that is difficult for me to do with my severe neuropathy.  When the weather starts to cool down (I don't have a shop to work in, just the driveway and garage (though its crammed full of car parts).  A little welding, some body work, and help doing the initial engine start-up (the motor is brand new, but not started since finished about 5 or 6 years ago.

So thanks for all your thoughts and letting me bend your ears, it is good to vent frustrations occasionally.  You are a good group of guys.  I will beg your forgiveness if I repeat stuff or ask questions which I already have asked, it happens all the time with me now.

Jay

d500neil
Posted 2014-09-15 4:48 PM (#456378 - in reply to #456046)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

Sir Clive dropped the 'ball' on continuing his Secret Santa Extravaganza,

(Think he was overwhelmed by the prospect of Scottish independence).

Rebels-59
Posted 2014-09-15 6:47 PM (#456404 - in reply to #456378)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

d500neil - 2014-09-15 9:48 PM

Sir Clive dropped the 'ball' on continuing his Secret Santa Extravaganza,

(Think he was overwhelmed by the prospect of Scottish independence).

LMAO..

I remember Brian doing it last year or year before as i was busy.. But i will be running a thread soon to see if you all want me to run it again this year, This time giving everyone a very early notification ..

Jay , I will PM you once i know members want me to run it again this year, Which will be in a few weeks i guess, Sorry to hear of your illness mate,

Clive
UK

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)