The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Intermittent Starter Won't Crank
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

michiganhotrod1
Posted 2014-08-30 10:18 PM (#454778)
Subject: Intermittent Starter Won't Crank

Regular

Hi all;
Need help diagnosing the starter problem that just hit my 58 Imperial.

I finished installing a rebuilt transmission, being careful to adjust the shifter cable for proper position to operate the neutral safety switch.

When I operate the starter switch (neutral button), I get a susbsantial "clack" as the starter solenoid engages the drive gear; however most times the starter itself does not crank. Every fourth or so try on the neutral button and the starter cranks normally and the car starts.

I replaced the starter solenoid, checked an cleaned cable connections, and checked battery voltage (12.65 volts) but no difference.
I suspect that the starter switch, vacuum and neutral safety and related wiring are OK, since the solenoid operates.

Am I looking at a suddenly bad starter, or did my transmission R&R contribute some problem.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ttotired
Posted 2014-08-30 11:00 PM (#454784 - in reply to #454778)
Subject: Re: Intermittent Starter Won't Crank

Expert 5K+

I am assuming that the soliniod is a part of the starter (pre-engaged type, not inertia)

If there is a mechanical problem with the engine or something in the torque converter area (bolt sticking out or something), when the pinion engages, the starter will draw a considerable amount of current (very low battery voltage and starter cable will get hot)

I doubt it will be in the trans itself as there is no direct drive to the trans when the starter is engaged, it will just slip like your in neutral at the lights ect.

If there is not a heavy current draw, you can check the output of the main soliniod contacts by putting a test light on the lower stud that has the short lead that goes into the motor itself.

When you activate the start circuit (try and start the engine) and it does not go, see if the light lights up (1 end on the stud, the other on the neg battery terminal), if it does and the engine does not turn over, the brushes are most likely worn out or stuck, if it doesnt (and its not drawing lots of current), the soliniod contacts are worn out.

Double check your cable to the engine block as well (clean, unpainted, tight connection) and that the cable itself is good.

If the earth cable (neg one) is not connected to the block properly, the engine may be trying to start through the speedo cable ect.

The pos cable to your soliniod can also do this if its faulty

You can check that by seeing if the test light stays lit when you try and crank the engine with 1 end of your test light on the top stud and the other on the battery neg (similar test as before)

A very rare but possible fault can also be that the pinion cant travel far enough and does not allow the contacts in the soliniod to make, this is an incorrect flywheel, t/c spacing

This should give you a few tests to try, a helper makes this quite quick and easy to work out

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)