The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 NYer wiper motor
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

billy
Posted 2014-10-01 3:38 PM (#457934)
Subject: 57 NYer wiper motor

Extreme Veteran

My 57 New Yorker wipers have never worked. Even when I first bought it in Texas in 1977 and drove to New York they didn't work. They are now holding me back from having this car legally (inspected) on the road here in upstate New York. Couple questions for my fellow Forward Lookers: Is it safe to assume (yes I know) that all New Yorkers had the variable speed wipers and the park option? I do have a push pedal on the floor that i believe is the Jiffy sprayer. When depressed are the wipers supposed to start up? How do you troubleshoot whether it is the switch or the wiper motor? The wiper motor has been pulled from the car and my local motor repair guy says its fried...How do you bench test one of these? After the motor was removed, the arms spun freely so i don't believe they were the issue. Any advice on how these work, how to troubleshoot and where to get a replacement if needed would be appreciated. Thanlks, billy

(wipermotor2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wipermotor2.JPG (18KB - 141 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grunau
Posted 2014-10-02 8:46 PM (#458064 - in reply to #457934)
Subject: RE: 57 NYer wiper motor

Extreme Veteran

Hi
I've got problems with the wipers on my wagon as well but not as bad , they still work but slowly and will not park off glass. I have the jiffy jet washer system with the foot switch on this car as well as my Fury and yes depressing the foot pump will operate the wipers for a cycle and then park them.
The Plymouth service manual provides a procedure for checking the variable speed wiper motor and the switch so should the '57 Chrysler manual....if you don''t have this manual you can down load it from the following site: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109.
The foot pedal washer switch can simply be removed from the circuit and the motor hooked up directly to the switch and operated that way. If your motor is cooked its just a little DC motor and can be rewound by any reputable motor winder. I've had power window motors rewound and the wiper motor is almost the same thing inside so check around.
For ease of repair and trouble shooting I've removed the whole system for bench testing and I've provided a pic so you can see how the foot pedal ties in to the switch. If you pull everything out to bench test ensure that the case of the switch and the wiper motor body (there is a ground strap) are tied together or the motor will not park.
I anticipate that my problems will be solved by cleaning the commutator on the motor, cleaning and regreasing the drive gear etc. and a cleanup and adjustment of the parking switch.

(wiperwash.jpg)

(switch.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wiperwash.jpg (154KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments switch.jpg (97KB - 133 downloads)
billy
Posted 2014-10-04 9:43 AM (#458197 - in reply to #457934)
Subject: Re: 57 NYer wiper motor

Extreme Veteran

Thank you grunau....the motor is definitely fried....I started taking apart and the inners are all disintegrating....I have a line on another one and will be back with it later today...again thanks for your help
billy
safetymike77
Posted 2014-10-04 11:51 AM (#458206 - in reply to #457934)
Subject: Re: 57 NYer wiper motor

Expert

I have one from a 63 Chrysler. Not sure of condition, but if it would work for you, let me know.
di_ch_NY56
Posted 2014-12-16 3:48 PM (#464865 - in reply to #457934)
Subject: RE: 57 NYer wiper motor

Expert

Most time it's not the motor, but the spring in the contact that gets contact or opens depending if the wiper is at the off window position or not. I opened one 1956 Chrysler variable speed motor. The gear case was full of old grease. It was sticky like thick honey. It held the spring compressed and the pin opening the stop contact was stickiy in the guide as well. Like I got the motor I assume the parking function was not reliable anymore. Good luck

Dieter

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)