The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1960 DeSoto Dash
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

haspe
Posted 2014-10-07 11:12 PM (#458507)
Subject: 1960 DeSoto Dash

Veteran

I'm getting ready to tear my dash apart and wonder if there are any instructions in the DeSoto manual (don't have one) or another source that could be useful. Secondly I have seen a padded and none padded dash, was the padded dash an option?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
NewportBob
Posted 2014-12-16 4:03 PM (#464868 - in reply to #458507)
Subject: Re: 1960 DeSoto Dash

Regular

These might help:

http://www.justdashes.com/61_chrysler.html

http://jcauto.com/services.html

C-300
Posted 2014-12-17 8:19 PM (#465009 - in reply to #458507)
Subject: Re: 1960 DeSoto Dash

Extreme Veteran

Are you taking the dash out completely? I had the dash out of my 60 dodge... Which is basically the same. The manual was helpful with wiring and the vacuum lines for the A/C. I guess you could label everything... I bought my car with the dash already removed.

To take the whole thing out is easy. Pull the wheel to get it out of the way. Drop or remove the column (take lots of pictures and make notes). Remove all of the stuff you can easily access on the front (radio, ash tray, glove box door, heater/a/c controls, knobs).
To remove it completely, unhook all of the under hood wiring and feed it through the hole in the firewall. Remove the kick panels and unhook the wire connectors the go to the rear body harness. Take off all of the trim around the windshield. Carefully remove the front wind lacing to prevent damage. Remove the a/c or heater ducting. Disconnect the speedo cable, and push button controls. There is a five inch or so bracket up near the back of the speedometer that is hard to get to... But it has to come off. Unbolt the small bolts across the top of the dash at the windshield and halfway loosen the two big lower bolts on either side of the panel. It should pivot down. Find someone to help you carry it out of the car.

Everything else can be removed from the back... Including the glove box.

I'm sure I forgot a few things... But this should get you going. Make sure you do unmentioned every step with photos and notes!

Aaron
moparmoondog
Posted 2015-02-24 10:46 AM (#470797 - in reply to #458507)
Subject: RE: 1960 DeSoto Dash

Regular

The dash assembly & pad on the 60 Desoto is quite different then the 60 Chrysler (although I read somewhere that the Canadian Desotos possibly used the Chrysler dash assembly & pad). Also, the dash pad on the Desoto was an option I believe. My Fireflite had one, but a previous owner removed it. I recently parted one out that didn't have a dash pad.

Have a great day!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)