The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Year of Manufacture License plate law
Moderators: safetymike77

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Wisconsin & Minnesota RegionMessage format

Steppinout
Posted 2014-11-29 9:59 PM (#463144)
Subject: Year of Manufacture License plate law

Elite Veteran

Don't know if all you Wisconsinites noticed, but WI now has a year of manufacture license plate law.
Looks like the law allows you to display vintage plates that match the year of your car if you have currently registered plates in the vehicle
and are only driving to a parade or car show. Sure glad I picked up a pair of 1955 plates.

Here is the language:

Date of enactment: April 8, 2014
2013 Senate Bill 630 Date of publication*: April 9, 2014
* Section 991.11, Wisconsin Statutes: Effective date of acts. "Every act and every portion of an act enacted by the legislature over the governor's partial veto which does not expressly prescribe the time when it takes effect shall take effect on the day after its date of publication."
2013 WISCONSIN ACT 221
An Act to amend 341.15 (3) (a) and 341.265 (1m); and to create 341.266 (2) (dm) of the statutes; relating to: the display of historical registration plates on collector vehicles.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
221,1 Section 1. 341.15 (3) (a) of the statutes is amended to read:
341.15 (3) (a) A person who operates a vehicle for which a current registration plate, insert tag, decal or other evidence of registration has been issued without such plate, tag, decal or other evidence of registration being attached to the vehicle, except when such vehicle is being operated pursuant to a temporary operation permit or plate or displays a historical plate under s. 341.265 (1m) or 341.266 (2) (dm);
221,2 Section 2. 341.265 (1m) of the statutes is amended to read:
341.265 (1m) A Notwithstanding s. 341.15 (1), a person who registers an antique motor vehicle under sub. (1) may furnish and display on the vehicle a historical plate from or representing the model year of the vehicle if the registration and plates issued by the department are simultaneously carried in or, with respect to an antique motorcycle, with the vehicle and are available for inspection.
221,3 Section 3. 341.266 (2) (dm) of the statutes is created to read:
341.266 (2) (dm) 1. Notwithstanding s. 341.15 (1), and subject to subd. 2., a person who registers under par. (a) a special interest vehicle manufactured before 1979 may furnish and display on the vehicle one or 2 historical plates from or representing the model year of the vehicle if all of the following apply:
a. The special interest vehicle is being operated to or from a car show or parade.
b. The registration, and any plate issued by the department for the vehicle under par. (c) that is not displayed on the vehicle, is simultaneously carried in or, with respect to a motorcycle, with the vehicle and is available for inspection.
2. If a person displays only one historical plate on a special interest vehicle under subd. 1., the historical plate shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. Notwithstanding s. 341.15 (1), a special interest vehicle displaying a historical plate is not required to display 2 registration plates.
221,4 Section 4.Effective date.
(1) This act takes effect on the first day of the 3rd month beginning after publication
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56RoyalLancer
Posted 2014-11-29 11:11 PM (#463150 - in reply to #463144)
Subject: Re: Year of Manufacture License plate law

Elite Veteran

Way cool! Thanks for letting us know John! I already have my plates and will be bolting them on for the car shows next spring. I think I will also print out the law as you have it listed here to store in the glove compartment in case "John Law" want to question it. Greg
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2014-12-11 12:24 AM (#464294 - in reply to #463150)

I would HIGHLY suggest you do just that. I found myself being pulled over twice a week and
harassed over it. Even got cuffed and hauled downtown once, ... and that was AFTER showing
the legal paperwork to the officer ! My problem was an unwritten directive to harass non-BMW
drivers off the roads in our town that got cleared up with the hiring of an attorney, but you can
never be certain that all cops will know the law.

Easy enough to ask for the paperwork when you do the licensing and carry it in the car.
b5rt
Posted 2014-12-11 8:35 PM (#464399 - in reply to #463144)

Expert

Illinois, as screwed up as it is, has had the year of manufacture law for years. You must purchase the antique plates ($30/5 years) then run the plates you want but keep the state issues generic plates in the car. Mine are in the trunk. I've been running them on my 69 Coronet for 8 years and never been pulled over or harassed or questioned or anything else. That includes driving it in Indiana and Ohio. I've even had state cops pull along side and wave after they clearly see the orange plates instead of the white or beige state issued plates.
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2015-01-01 4:57 PM (#466419 - in reply to #464399)

Expert

I had that problem when my parents had 1 of those plates of their 1966 charger and I had 1 on my 68 fury convertible. Every time we turned around we were pulled over and harassed. I got so sick of it I told 1 cop flat out the next time you light me up and I know its going to be about the plate I will refuse to pull this car over and stop. I also said you pulled me over because you had nothing better to do .
This was when I was living in Florida. I even knew about a person who had 1 of those plates on a 1963 impala a cop pulled him over and gave him a ticket. The owner took it to court. I heard the judge stood up on his bench and chewed out that cop by saying" You do not give a ticket on a state issued tag"
I have a 1961 Tenneesee plate on the back of my car but I do not have the problem of being pulled over and harassed.

Edited by 1961plymouthfury 2015-01-01 5:01 PM
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2015-01-02 2:49 PM (#466485 - in reply to #464294)

Expert

I had the same problem but I was never cuffed and hauled down to the station. I told the cop flat out I am getting sick and tired of you pulling me over and harassing me about the plate and the next time you light me up and I know its about the plate I will refuse to pull this car over and stop so you better back off if you know what is good for you . This happened to me when I lived in Florida.
This son of a bitch had the nerve to tell me the plate was illegal and it had a current sticker on it .
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2015-01-02 2:54 PM (#466486 - in reply to #464294)

Expert

I had the same problem but I was never cuffed and hauled down to the station. I told the cop flat out I am getting sick and tired of you pulling me over and harassing me about the plate and the next time you light me up and I know its about the plate I will refuse to pull this car over and stop so you better back off if you know what is good for you . This happened to me when I lived in Florida.
This son of a bitch had the nerve to tell me the plate was illegal and it had a current sticker on it . I had not had this problem in TN yet so far
StillOutThere
Posted 2015-01-02 4:40 PM (#466503 - in reply to #463144)

Carry a copy of the state law in the glove box with you. Show it to law enforcement. They can't know everything that is constantly changing. And be a supporting member of SEMA to support positive old car legislation in your state.
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2015-01-03 11:52 PM (#466614 - in reply to #463144)

Expert

I had the registration showing the plate was issued to the car but still they harassed me and my family. There was 1 day I wrote them a nasty letter telling them that they were a joke and saying that they did not appreicate these cars. I mailed a copy of the law to the police station and let them know if they stopped us again about these plates that a complaint would be filed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)