The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix Poly
Moderators: Lancer Mike

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Rocky Mountain RegionMessage format

MorePar
Posted 2014-12-13 2:25 AM (#464498)
Subject: 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix Poly

The old girl is running great since I resealed the front of the T-flite and worked on the engine. Engine compartment, cooling system etc and fuel are all great now. New water pump and new fuel pump and new OEM brake parts too. Matching serial numbers everywhere of course. The car was built in Los Angeles.. I am getting this Colorado Dodge sanded and primed for a paint job soon. I did the hood today and am working through the panels. Looks like the weather will make it an on and off Winter project. May go back to Seaspray green metallic under White.

Don't ya just love the stares and questions when you drive a single year unique model car? "What is that"?  The only made the 1960 style Dart and Polara for one year and then Chrysler sabotaged them to pander to the Plymouth dealers who's sales were hurt by the Dart in 1960. Darts sold for $150 less and were only 2" shorter and stylish! I think turning the rear fins backward in '61 was a great way to kill a beautiful design. The car had such nice lines in 1960. Of course some folks also like the unique 1961 but I think  of it as an "UnForwardlook" car:-)) Sort of turned around. But I am predujiced:-))

Slim,

Yes I am still kicking!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lancer Mike
Posted 2014-12-14 11:11 AM (#464611 - in reply to #464498)
Subject: RE: 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix Poly

Wonderful, Slim! I would love to see pictures - if you have some handy!
Sonoramic60
Posted 2014-12-14 5:00 PM (#464632 - in reply to #464611)
Subject: RE: 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix Poly

Expert

Slim --
Actually, I believe the '60 and '61 Darts were just 1/2" shorter than the Plymouths as they shared the same wheelbase and frame components (as well as just about everything else except for styling stuff). In those days, America was very much involved in aerospace activity and Exner's styling and Chrysler advertising reflected that interest as in Plymouth's case, the fins were "stabilizers," the "square" steering wheel was the "Aero" wheel, the big rear window for 2-dr h/ts was the "sky-high" rear glass, the instrument cluster was the "Flight Deck Instrument Panel," and and the raised back driver's seat was the "Commander's" seat. In the case of the Dart, the taillight fairings bear a tremendous resemblance to the nose of North American Aviation's Air Force F-86 Sabre and Navy FJ-2 and FJ-3 Fury ("Fury" -- another coincidence?).
You might might find it of interest that when my dad and I were shopping for a car in 1960, our first stop was at the old Goffe ("Goofy") Motors in Pueblo (which just a few months before was "Goffe Dodge-Plymouth") because we both loved the look of the new Dart. However, none of the cars they had there then had anything more than a 260 horse 318, and since my dad and were faithful readers of "Mechanic Illustrated"'s "Uncle Tom" McCahill who praised the 305 HP/361 to the high heavens, we rather reluctantly departed. However, they did have a beautiful blue Phoenix 2-dr h/t (with the white stripes just on the roof edges) that I can still remember. It had the same formula paint as my current Big-Tailed Beast, but I still think the Dart looked better (much better!) in that paint scheme than does the Beast. In fact, I never really liked the BTB's "Twilight Blue Metallic"/"Arctic White" colors that I was going to have it repainted all-white, but my sons convinced me to leave it as it was ((?) since a car is original only once.
There are a few cars I regret not keeping, such as my '65 Sport Fury (426-s, 4-speed), '67 Dodge Coronet R/T (375 HP/440, 4-speed), and my wife's '63 Vette (don't even bring that subject up -- she's forgiven me but not forgotten!), but there are are only two I regret not acquiring: one was a '70 Superbird, 390 HP/4-speed (the dealer was virtually ready to give it away, but how could I get it in my garage?) and that '60 Dart Phoenix.
You have a great car, Slim
Joe

Edited by Sonoramic60 2014-12-14 5:08 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)