The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are you comfortable using NOS/NORS brake parts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2014-12-20 11:35 AM (#465319)
Subject: Are you comfortable using NOS/NORS brake parts.

Expert

I posted a while back about one of my rear brakes sticking. I thought it would be a clogged line to that wheel or a weak return spring. Most here felt it would be a spring issue. I came home from a long drive and heard the brake rubbing. When out the next day and the wheel cyl. had ruptured. I guess it got a LOT hotter than I thought. Shame, I had just replaced both cyl. and shoes when I had the drums replaced. These were "NEW" wheel cylinders are still available from NAPA CENTRIC #134.63029. Once i saw the boxes that they came in from NAPA I realized these are not actually "NEW", just unused NORS and figured i should buy spares while they are still available. So, the bad one was replaced. I didn't have the springs or brake line to replace at the time. Driving around, I heard the brake dragging again although it didn't drag when the cylinder was first installed. Just pulled the drums again to install the springs and it was the other wheel cylinder this time. Turns out the cylinder is sticking and had nothing to do with the springs or flow.
After this ramble, are you comfortable using NOS or NORS parts for brakes? I'm sending out the 2 spares to be sleeved so I won't have to worry about this again. I am going with brass as I have heard no issues with brass and stainless is more expensive with no different results. Never having anything sleeved before, and I couldn't find any info on it, they are returned to the same bore? The only thing I am wondering is should I replace the pistons or just use the "NEW" ones that I take out of the cylinders. Is CENTRIC from China? I would prefer to use American made rebuild kit if available.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2014-12-20 12:47 PM (#465323 - in reply to #465319)
Subject: Re: Are you comfortable using NOS/NORS brake parts.

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

I'm totally comfortable with NOS brake parts and I wont buy "new" yellow parts......
60 dart
Posted 2014-12-20 6:15 PM (#465349 - in reply to #465319)

Expert 5K+

as long as the nos and nors are in as new condition they should be really good to use . when using the new old parts , ya gotta make sure there fitment is clean , clean . like ,
make sure there is no old machining oil left and such on moving parts--------------------------------------------------later
udoittwo
Posted 2014-12-21 10:32 AM (#465414 - in reply to #465319)
Subject: RE: Are you comfortable using NOS/NORS brake parts.

Expert

OOPS, my apologies to NOS parts. All the Centric wheel cylinders I got came in boxes that are totally trashed and dirty as though they have been banged around for 40 or more years. Actually, I found out they were made in China and dated Feb. of 2014. Even 50 year old NOS boxes don't look this bad. The cylinders appear to have cosmoline or some thing on them. I wonder if the inside is coated also? I wouldn't think you should need to pull a new wheel cylinder apart and clean it before you use it but I am definitely pulling these other 2 spares apart and will probably still send them for to get sleeved.
miquelonbrad
Posted 2014-12-21 1:30 PM (#465433 - in reply to #465319)

Expert

Cleanliness is the key. I do use NOS parts, but I always take them apart, clean them up, and re-lubricate them with brake fluid. Lubrication , whether it be oil, grease, or brake fluid, dries out over time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)