The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 plymouth parking brake questions (automatic transmission mounted)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

Stevie Exit
Posted 2015-01-31 2:39 PM (#469100)
Subject: 1955 plymouth parking brake questions (automatic transmission mounted)

I'm trying to resolve the issue with my parking brake locking up on the back of my 2 speed automatic.  Part of it is a leaking transmission seal, which I'm fixing with a new seal and sleeve.  I decided to replace the parking brake cable and fix the loose backing plate while I'm in there.

Question 1:  On the backing plate, there is a cable clamp (pictured below).  This clamps over a threaded piece of the parking brake cable (second image below  --There is a nut on the parking brake cable which I have already removed).  Even though the clamp is tight, I was able to easily pull the old cable out without loosening the bolt.  Is this loose because of 60 years of wear and tear, or is there a part missing that got lost along the way?

Question 2:  There is a neoprene seal on the backing plate (third image down.)  When the parking brake is applied, the pressure is put on this seal.  Over the years, this has damaged the seal. Seems like a strange way to design things to me. Anyway, this allows the backing plate to move a little - like it is loose.  I doubt I can find a replacement.  (at least my main parts supplier had no idea)  Does it matter if the backing plate is loose?  The backing plate is where the parking brake cable is anchored.  If the backing plate is moving, it seems like it would be moving the brake shoes a little, though probably not enough to matter.

Backing Platecable

seal

Top of the page Bottom of the page
ttotired
Posted 2015-01-31 4:58 PM (#469113 - in reply to #469100)
Subject: Re: 1955 plymouth parking brake questions (automatic transmission mounted)

Expert 5K+

Because its a cable operated brake, it only needs to be anchored in one direction (the adjusting nut stops the outer from being pulled into the backing plate), when the brake is released, there is no tention

Not sure where to get a new rubber gasket from (maybe Gary Goers?)

I would be fairly confident that the grabbing issue is because of the oil leaking onto the shoes, contaminating the lining, you need a new set of park brake shoes

Beltran
Posted 2015-01-31 5:19 PM (#469115 - in reply to #469100)
Subject: Re: 1955 plymouth parking brake questions (automatic transmission mounted)

Expert

The nut and a washer is meant to be on there to be a tightening mechanism for the cable. It presses against the backing plate where that clamp is in the top left photo. At least mine is set up that way. You also have an adjustment inside the brake that can be used but it's easier to do it on the outside with the adjustment on the cable.

The rubber gasket is to prevent splash contaminants from getting into the brake unit. At least that's what I think its for. Gary Goers may have this. Worst case use some formagasket to repair it. I would also check your manual for pictures of this unit.. they speak a thousand words.
Stevie Exit
Posted 2015-01-31 6:51 PM (#469124 - in reply to #469100)
Subject: RE: 1955 plymouth parking brake questions (automatic transmission mounted)

I've got the new brake shoes. Sometimes the car would drive fine, sometimes there would be a grinding noise and then a lock up when I stopped. I think it is because the brake shoes are only anchored at the top. Although there is a centering spring, the mechanism does apparently shift during driving. I've only driven a few miles a year for the past few years due to this. I would really like to start driving it again.
hoodinki
Posted 2015-01-31 11:17 PM (#469138 - in reply to #469100)

Veteran

The cable is missing a covering that goes over the end and fits inside the clamping part. It acts like a dust seal or oil seal to keep out road debris. Originally this was like woven burlap with heavy tar matrix. A good modern substitute is to cut a 4" section out of the skinniest bicycle inner tube with the thickest wall you can find. Try WalMart's bicycle section, or eBay.

There is also supposed to be a spring to keep the shoes pulled in.

Also, the inside of the drum should be smooth and the linings on the shoes thick. Nothing to ground or catch or lockup. If it does identify what is catching and grinding. (You have pulled the hub off, right?)

Edited by hoodinki 2015-01-31 11:33 PM

(park-brake-002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments park-brake-002.jpg (217KB - 428 downloads)
Stevie Exit
Posted 2015-02-01 12:21 PM (#469186 - in reply to #469100)

Ive got all the springs. Thanks for the tip on the inner tube!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)