The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

side window glass setting rubber issue
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

miquelonbrad
Posted 2015-03-22 11:57 PM (#473195)
Subject: side window glass setting rubber issue

Expert

Hi All,

So, I am having trouble with the passenger side front door glass, on my 4 door sedan. Particularly, I cannot seem to keep the glass in the lower channel. I am using new glass setting rubber, from Gary Goers. I have tried pinching the channel together, before "pounding" it on to the glass (with a rubber mallet, of course). And the glass seems tight. Then, when I put it in the door, it works it's way out of the channel, after going up and down a few times. Is there something used in the rubber, like a mold release compound, that I need to clean off first? Am I supposed to use a glue or sealant, when I assemble it? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Darryl T
Posted 2015-03-27 2:26 PM (#473582 - in reply to #473195)
Subject: RE: side window glass setting rubber issue

Extreme Veteran

I used a little Permatex black rubber sealant. It doesn't require "flashing off" like weatherstrip adhesive, so you can move things around a little. Excess cleans off easily, too.
LD3 Greg
Posted 2015-03-27 3:54 PM (#473591 - in reply to #473582)

Expert

Darryl T - 2015-03-27 2:26 PM

I used a little Permatex black rubber sealant. It doesn't require "flashing off" like weatherstrip adhesive, so you can move things around a little. Excess cleans off easily, too.

I always used something like that as well.
Greg
60crossram
Posted 2015-03-28 9:37 AM (#473651 - in reply to #473195)
Subject: Re: side window glass setting rubber issue

Elite Veteran

Just plain silicone works good also. You just need to let it set up for a few days and still be careful when rolling your window down for a bit. Maybe even lightly push the window down with your hand for a while just to make sure its cured. DeSoto lives !!!
59 in Calif
Posted 2015-03-28 7:20 PM (#473707 - in reply to #473195)

Elite Veteran

Brad, I have done this numerous times as a truck ( Mack, KW ) mechanic. Usually because the channel had rusted out. That flat rubber piece that gets folded over the glass and then gets forced into the channel with the glass should be about 1/16" thick as I remember. I set the top of the glass on a 2 x 4 and started one end and kept working it across with a dead blow hammer. I never had to use any adhesive. I wonder if the rubber you got from Gary Goers might be a bit thin or maybe the the channel lost its holding capabilities. That channel should not go on easy. There should be a lot of resistance. Just don't pound on that slot for the regulator arms. Jerry
miquelonbrad
Posted 2015-03-30 10:43 AM (#473853 - in reply to #473195)

Expert

Well, after much trying, I gave up on the rubber, and threw it out...it was a mess, with two types of glue on it... It appeared to be made correct, but the channel was a little too loose. I squeezed the channel in a vice, and then it became too tight!

So, I ended up trying a more modern approach. I used windshield urethane, as is used to install on the "newer" cars. It seems to have worked well. Except for one issue...I mistakenly assumed that Chrysler was like GM! I installed the glass in the channel, with the Solex logo on the outside. Then, I put the window into the door, installed the frame, and it rolled up nicely...till I saw the gap at one end. Apparently, Chrysler used the same glass, passenger and drivers side, but just reverse it during installation into the channel. The driver's side has the logo on the outside, and the passenger side has it inside! Maybe this is just a Chrysler Canada thing? Anyway, I took the glass from the driver's side, which also needed resetting, and just reversed it to be the passenger side window now.
LD3 Greg
Posted 2015-03-30 11:53 PM (#473924 - in reply to #473853)

Expert

No, it wasn't a CDN thing. All Mopar glass is that way.

IMO, I think the problem is that the glass setting tape we are being sold is too old. It is too dried out. Years ago when I first started doing this work I bought many rolls of tape in the various thicknesses to fit all our cars. It worked great!! No adhesive required at all. The instructions were to smear all surfaces of the rubber tape with ordinary engine oil. Install it and allow several hours for it to "set". The oil swelled the rubber and resulted in a secure grip. Worked perfectly!!

A few years later when I tried to do the next few windows, it didn't work at all.

All hard tops and verts have chrome channels surrounding all the side glass so none of this matters. All except the vent windows. I gave up with new glass setting tape for these. I just used the old original tape and cemented it to both the channels and the glass. Worked great and is still working 20 years later!

Greg
59 in Calif
Posted 2015-03-31 12:20 AM (#473925 - in reply to #473195)

Elite Veteran

Hey guys, If you need that rubber setting tape, stop by your local truck ( KW, Peterbilt, Freightliner, Mack ) dealership. It comes in a large roll and they will probably cut off whatever length you want. Jerry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)