The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

58 imperial master cylinder fluid level checking?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

51coronet
Posted 2015-10-08 12:37 PM (#491736)
Subject: 58 imperial master cylinder fluid level checking?

Extreme Veteran

Still new to these cars and see on my 58 imperial that the master cylinder is not easy to access to check fluid level. The booster is installed directly over the top of the MC. Is this stock and an oversight from the manufacturer?

So to check fluid level or do any brake maintenance some things need to be removed from the looks of it or at the very least the booster needs to be removed.

Appreciate any insight.

The engine turns over!!! It sat since 1972, I dumped some oil into the intake and realized that it also has crazy good compression because it would stop turning with a long 1/2 drive breaker bar due to the cylinder compressing and both valves closed (fluid doesn't compress). It took some time but the oil finally escaped and the pistons were able to compress fully. I got a full 720 degrees and stopped there. getting the oil out of the cylinders took a ton of elbow grease and constant pressure on the breaker bar as well as an added 2 hours ( yeah I put too much oil down in there, maybe 4 quarts of used oil just to be sure each cylinder would get some oil in case another was at the bottom of the stroke it would fill and consume the majority of the oil).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jimntempe
Posted 2015-10-08 1:42 PM (#491746 - in reply to #491736)
Subject: Re: 58 imperial master cylinder fluid level checking?

Expert

The Master cyl is tight but you can get the bolt off with a box end wrench and take the cap off. Might need a mirror to see the fluid level depending on your flexibility and what else is mounted in the way. If you need to add fluid do what I do, buy a $3 turkey baster (Dollar stores are often a good source) and suck up new brake fluid into the baster, hold it with the tip up so the fluid won't come out, then position the tip end over the Master, then tip it up so the fluid goes toward the tip and squeeze the bulb to force the fluid out as needed to top up the MC.

You can also slide a piece of rubber vacuum hose over the tip of the baster (might need to cut or grind off the fat ring on the end of the tip of some basters) to extend the tip if that makes it easier to get it positioned to squirt new brake fluid into the master. The brake fluid will eventually swell and soften the rubber hose and probably the bulb rubber so don't use your wife's favorite baster thinking you can just put it back when you are done.....
51coronet
Posted 2015-10-09 8:51 PM (#491854 - in reply to #491746)
Subject: Re: 58 imperial master cylinder fluid level checking?

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the tips!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)