The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

powerflite kickdown linkage adjustment
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

dodge59
Posted 2015-11-03 8:22 PM (#494116)
Subject: powerflite kickdown linkage adjustment

Elite Veteran

Tried  to find  my passing gear in my powerflite transmission.. tried adjusting the linkage rod adjusment  . slid  the rod  forward and rearward  but still no good . it was in the middle before I moved anything.  carb opens all the way when on the floor , so nothing is binding there.

wasn't really much in the repair manual on adjusting the kickdown linkage  rod  . lot on testing the pressusre.. 

so I as assuming  it needs the pressures tested. 

I am stumped !

here's a pic ....it's the rod with the fine screw  for the lock .

Edited by dodge59 2015-11-03 8:35 PM

(indy kickdown rod adjusmtent 50.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments indy kickdown rod adjusmtent 50.JPG (219KB - 246 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jimntempe
Posted 2015-11-06 6:30 PM (#494383 - in reply to #494116)
Subject: Re: powerflite kickdown linkage adjustment

Expert

There is some info here.... http://www._.com/Repairs/Kickdown_Adjust/Kickdown_Adjust.htm

My view is this... the transmission does a "kickdown" when that kickdown lever sticking out of the transmission is ALL the way turned to where it has pushed the kickdown valve inside "all the way". So if you verify that the carburetor is 100% open with the pedal floored, then have someone (or a large brick) hold the pedal to the floor and the carb "floored" while you adjust the end of the kickdown rod so that it mates with the transmission kickdown lever when that lever is ALL the way turned to "kickdown" position. You don't want to make it too "tight" to where when you floor it you wind up pushing so hard on the kickdown rod and lever you bend something but you want it to be pretty much fully rotated into the "kickdown" range of rotation. Also, if you got it "too tight" it would actually keep you from being able to fully open the carb, you'd be at "kickdown" before the carb linkage had fully opened the carb. Doing it this way should be "safe" as far as the pressures because even if it's not quite right it's on the side of higher pressure rather the lower pressure that would let the clutches slip. If it feels like "normal shifts" are "too hard" you can back off how "tight" it is a little at a time. Eventually you would back it off to the point where you no longer get kickdown and they you know you've gone too far in that direction and need to "tighten" is more.
dodge59
Posted 2015-11-06 6:51 PM (#494386 - in reply to #494116)

Elite Veteran

Jim Thanks for the info ! big help.
I need to get another person here like you said to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor to see the reaction underneath the car.
I did set the linkage rod per instructions in the repair manual ...... ended up sliding the kd swivel on the rod all the way rearward to get the most travel to move the lever coming out of the trans . it's real close to the point to trigger the passing gear but I think I need just allittle more movement ,,
that's where another person will come into effect.
jimntempe
Posted 2015-11-06 7:26 PM (#494389 - in reply to #494116)

Expert

Is there an adjustment on the carb end of the KD rod that you could use to get the trans end back more in the middle of it's range? Is it possible someone bent the linkage making it effectively too short?
dodge59
Posted 2015-11-06 7:35 PM (#494397 - in reply to #494116)

Elite Veteran

<p>yes ............the gas pedal rod length is adjustable . that adjusts the height of the gas pedal inside the car for sure  that is something I should look at .. maybe that gas pedal rod needs to be adjusted in or out .</p>

Edited by dodge59 2015-11-06 7:40 PM

(10 to 1 hemi pic pass 50.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 10 to 1 hemi pic pass 50.JPG (238KB - 280 downloads)
dodge59
Posted 2015-11-09 5:22 PM (#494699 - in reply to #494116)

Elite Veteran

<p>I had a friend stop over and we checked all the linkage components , made sure we have proper linkage movements and still no passing gear. Next thing is to pick up a trans  pressure gauge  300# and do some pressure checks on the powerflite.</p>

Edited by dodge59 2015-11-09 11:04 PM
dodge59
Posted 2015-11-15 1:43 PM (#495240 - in reply to #494116)

Elite Veteran

Found the Problem with the powerflite trans passing gear

. appears that the trans has had an updated valve body installed along the way when mopar came out with them years ago and who ever installed the updapted valve body did not set the throttle lever valve adjustment correctly on the driverside., the adustment was screwed in about inch too far. instructions say to turn the adj screw counter clockwise for more pressure and the tech turned it the other way.. the throttle valve lever had only 40lbs when the gas pedal was wide open............ it needed over 60 lbs . So now by adjusting the valve in the valve body, it has 90 lbs at wide open throttle. Works beautiful Now.
jimntempe
Posted 2015-11-15 8:44 PM (#495286 - in reply to #494116)

Expert

Glad it's solved. Gotta have passing gear!!! Did anything else about the way it shifts change after you made that adjustment?
dodge59
Posted 2015-11-15 8:57 PM (#495290 - in reply to #495286)

Elite Veteran

jimntempe - 2015-11-15 7:44 PM Glad it's solved. Gotta have passing gear!!! Did anything else about the way it shifts change after you made that adjustment?

No nothing else changed on the way it shifte thru the gears. .

In order for the pf trans to shift down into passing gears you have to have  85-95#'s of pressure  on the shift lever all the way ingaged as far as you can move it.  it was only getting 40#'s ... when you set that adjusment correct  at 1 11/16"  you will get that 85-95 lb of pressure  needed.. .  that adjusment is on the drv side of trans and you read the pressure on the pass plug outlet. 

just follow exactly the way the mopar repair manual says to set  it up ,  or you can go on line , there are nice videos and information there.

Chris_1954
Posted 2020-09-29 9:06 AM (#603741 - in reply to #494116)
Subject: RE: powerflite kickdown linkage adjustment

New User

Hello dodge59,

i have the same problem with the passing gear at my 1954 Dodge Royal V8.
Can you explain maybe with some pictures?
The problem is the messurement in inch and i have not th eright tools in Germany.

Can you help me to adjust the kickdown?

I have the car for three years and the kickdown comes only two times when i was driving the car.

Kind regards

Christoph
dodge59
Posted 2020-09-29 10:47 AM (#603745 - in reply to #494116)

Elite Veteran

Christoph , I would suggest going to the website called mymopar.com . the info I got to set the trans up is all there with videos , step by step procedures. great website !
Chris_1954
Posted 2020-10-02 3:22 AM (#603871 - in reply to #494116)

New User

Hi John, thank you for the information. this website is awesome...all the Tec videos. Great!
I will try to set up the transmission.

Best Christoph
dodge59
Posted 2020-10-02 9:55 AM (#603879 - in reply to #494116)

Elite Veteran

Yes it is a Great site Christoph. Good luck !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)